Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water quality in Letterkenny

Options
  • 08-03-2012 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I knew that water quality was never too good but once I moved to Carolina Park I realize can be worse. I take a shower but my son loves to take a bath, we were disgust by the color of the water (like a urine)smell and dirt - sand in that water. For my teas I have to use mineral water to boil. Is it normal and is there anyway to change it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

I live only down the road and my water is not like that. Did you ask your neighbours?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 joasia1973

No, I don't know anyone yet but here is so bad I tell You. I'm even thinking to hang piece of fabric around bathtap to stop bigger dirt. I will try to find out with neighbour and my landlord.:confused:

Jut guesswork here but if the house you're living in now has been vacant for some time, couldn't scum build up in the pipes?

Also, I think it's the landlords responsibility to have that fixed if there is a problem with your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

have a look in your water tank. the water can settle a lot in it which can take out a lot of sand/sediment etc. if a lot of sediment has built up (close to the valves) cleaning it out can reduce the problem but it isnt going to make it crystal clear. might help with the bigger dirt.

to be honest for tea id change back, mineral water is hard water and will destroy the kettle...the filter should be taking out the sediment too. then again they are pretty cheap and the nicer tea may be a better option

• Advertisement

You see, house was not empty. But maybe you guys right , it can be water tank. How would I check it? About drinking water , there is no dirt but water is yellowish and smelly. I have filter but it would not take all the smell away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

joasia1973 wrote: »
    You see, house was not empty. But maybe you guys right , it can be water tank. How would I check it? About drinking water , there is no dirt but water is yellowish and smelly. I have filter but it would not take all the smell away.

Do not drink the water from your taps.. flush all your toilets and run the taps in your house for 15-20 minutes, then go into the attic and look into your water tank. The tank should now be almost empty, examine the bottom of the tank with a torch. There might be something in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

Do not drink the water from your taps.. flush all your toilets and run the taps in your house for 15-20 minutes, then go into the attic and look into your water tank. The tank should now be almost empty, examine the bottom of the tank with a torch. There might be something in it.

Turn off the water at the mains first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Flibbles wrote: »
    Turn off the water at the mains first?

you wouldn't have to do that, in fact you wouldnt have to empty the tank to see if there is something in it e.g. dead bat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Tis fairly brutal here. not the worst though and the filter takes out the worst of the bad taste

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

I notice that after a cup of tea, the inside of the cup is quite tea-stained.
    This has only happened in recent years, can't remember it years ago.

Would this be a sign of bad quality water or would it be the teabags?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

yourpics wrote: »
    I notice that after a cup of tea, the inside of the cup is quite tea-stained.
    This has only happened in recent years, can't remember it years ago.

Would this be a sign of bad quality water or would it be the teabags?

Do you get the thin film of stain that floats on top of the tea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

eth0 wrote: »
    Do you get the thin film of stain that floats on top of the tea?

No I don't. Just a stain inside the cup like this:

http://oneproblemless.com/2010/08/26/away-with-those-tea-stains/

But it only started happening in recent years which makes me think it might be something to do with water quality

I still don't know where the attic is (where the tank is).

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Is the water a bad colour in the cold tap in the kitchen or just in other taps around the house?

Also the tank referred to should be in the attic.

I'm not sure. I only can see it when I pour water into my water filter in the kitchen. Then water in the bathroom tap is with some dirt like sand/soil and is very yelowish. The thing is only when you put such an amount of water into white tub then you can see it clearly.

Advertisement