Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much topsoil for 18 foot trench?

Options
  • 08-03-2012 10:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

How much topsoil would be needed for a trench that is 18 feet long,18 inches deep and 18 inches wide?

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

18' = 5.45m
    18" = 0.4m

so calculate 5.45 x 0.4 x 0.4 = 0.872 m3 + a little bit for good measure is 1m3
    so 1 cubic mtr of soil or roughly 1.5 tonnes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

sponge_bob wrote: »
    18' = 5.45m
    18" = 0.4m

so calculate 5.45 x 0.4 x 0.4 = 0.872 m3 + a little bit for good measure is 1m3
    so 1 cubic mtr of soil or roughly 1.5 tonnes

So a ton bag of top soil and then another 1/2 ton bag then?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

paddy147 wrote: »
    So a ton bag of top soil and then another 1/2 ton bag then?

actually google tells me that dry soil weighs 1000kg per m3 and wet soil weighs 1800kg per m3.

still my guess at 1.5 tonnes is kinda in the middle so you should be fairly good:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Got topsoil recently €30 a ton from meath pm if you want his number

How good was the top soil?

Was it screened with no stones in it?

How much to be delievered?

PM me his number please.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Can you PM me his details too please...€30/ton sounds good.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Just an update to this thread (forgot about it actually).

Well to answer my own question and also other members guesses.......it took around 1.5-1.6 tons of screened topsoil and then around another 0.75 ton of a mix of manure,compost,horticultural grit and fertilizer pellets.

So all in around 2.25-2.35 tons in total (maybe even a tad more).

Oh and old grotty trench is dug out.There was alot of underlying rubble,sharp sand and 804 hardcore underneath which was forked and pick axed out and removed to a recycling centre.

The Mypex weed membrane was also cut back to the edge of the pavers and the pavers were also re-arranged to go in with the new raised bed.

There is now a new raised flower bed,and it grew in size from 18 feet up to 20 feet,from 18 inches wide to 23 inches wide and from 18 inches deep to 20 inches deep.

Block pavers have been taken up and rejigged to suit the new raised bed and follow the rest of the driveway pattern.:)

Now planted with bareroot hornbeams and underplanted with around 140 "lilley of the valley" shoots.

These will multiply fast and also give strong scented white flowers from mid May onwards.

Fair play to the horticulturalist for getting it done in a fast,propper and nice manner.Im very happy with the outcome.:D

Advertisement