Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS or Maths nd Econ(TCD) or Econ nd Fin(UCD)

Options
  • 08-03-2012 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi lads this is my first time posting on this website.
    Im a sixth yr student now and Im korean. Im sitting the LC this June and iv been considering those three courses.

Up to today my first choice was econ and fin in UCD as i really enjoyed the opening day and the course itself(the contents was interesting aswell). But my mind has changed these days and im currently very confused what course to do since one of my friend who went abroad told me that the reputation of TCD is actually very well known over Europe and over the world rather than UCD.

I know it sounds stupid to talk about reputations and all but for me(being Korean) this would matter since im planning to do a master degree abroad and at some point leave Ireland and go to UK or US or back to Korea.

So my concern was which course or college would more suit me? unfortunately i didnt get to go to the TCD openings day. so iv no much informations on maths and econ and BESS.

Currently im doing Maths, Accounting, Business, App.maths and I enjoy them all. I know it is a prejudice but i do like maths and those related subs. i hope to get As in those subs and hopefully find the most suitable course and the college.

iv heard that BESS is an Art degree, so it doesnt have much MATHS in it. many friends of mine who have been doing BESS told me that maths is not the most mattered subject? in the course, which kinda sounds unattractive to me,,,

But iv heard that econ and fin in UCD and econ and Maths in TCD both require decent maths skills.

Im really sorry for the long question but im eager to make a decision as soon as possible since i really want to concentrate on my LC :(

thx for reading my inquiry and hope somebody would answer it!

in summary, my question is that at some point(probably for a master degree or after college or to get a job, etc) Im leaving IRELAND and going to UK,USA or KOREA. So what im concerned is that does the reputation of the college(TCD vs UCD) would matter?(my friend told me it does:( )and if so which one is more well known? and on top of that im considering the course btw BESS, econ nd maths and econ and fin.

actually my question would be simpler if i say which one should i go between bess in tcd, econ and maths in tcd, and econ and fin in ucd while i love maths(i love to apply my maths knowledge rather than pure maths) and planning to go abroad after the course.

Thank you veryvery much!!!:)

p.s. iv heard that both colleges offer(or should i say connect) a masters degree abroad aswell? and which course/college does that more effectively?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

How well you do in the actual degree (getting a 1:1, or 2:1, etc) would matter much more than which degree you did, between Maths & Economics in TCD, or Economics & Finance in UCD.

Both degrees (and universities) are very highly regarded abroad, and both degrees are very competitive as entry requirements. It would be said, however, in general, that TCD would be somewhat more renowned, but I for one feel it's more down to the individual faculties. The UCD School of Economics is indeed very, very good.

But also, bear in mind that the UCD course is 3 years long, and the TSM in TCD is 4 years.

You could either, or course, take Economics & Mathematics as a Joint Honours Degree in UCD as part of Arts - it's the person who makes the degree and not vice-versa - but the other two degrees would definitely hold more status than that, I would say, particularly if you were looking to study abroad. If you wanted to stay here, a 1:1 in Economics, or Economics & Maths from UCD would be very good.

(BESS is a great course too, but I'm leaving it out as it is, as you said, not as maths-based.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dalax

If you're looking at a Masters, I'm not sure that Trinity would hold much more prestige than UCD (its Economics department is well-regarded).

In terms of careers though, particularly in finance, there is a pretty big difference. For whatever reason, foreign employers hold Trinity in much greater esteem (at least in my experience). I've met people in Asia and Australia who knew about TCD, but none of them had heard of UCD. That's just the way it is.

As has been said though, you need to do well in your course. Going to Trinity and getting a 2:2 is pretty pointless, so pick the subject you would enjoy and do best in. Maths + Economics is a well-regarded course, if you've an interest in it then I would definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 NicKoreaN

yeah i do understand that it is pointless if i put no works in the course and get low marks and all,,, but all i wanted to know was if i were to put a decent work in both, which would benefit me more you know? and i got answers from both of you guys thank you.

So i guess TCD is more renowned(at least up to these days).

My only concern then is whether i would actually like and enjoy the course. As iv said before I like applying my maths knowledge(calculus, stats, probability,etc) to other maths-related courses rather than pure maths. This is because i attended the irish maths olympiad before and i found that pure maths isnt my cup of tea? Iv talked to the teachers and the univ students there and i thought that i wouldnt do well in the pure maths course(i somehow felt like one must be greatly talented,,,,)

Ah well so what im now concerning is whether the maths and economics in TCD would suit me? Oh yeah i dont do economics as well so iv to look over that aswell just in case that i can find some difficulties in the course. However, i heard that econ and fin in UCD doesnt require LC econs and i think that is the case for TCD as well?

do any of you guys know anyone who has done the econ and maths in TCD and if so would you mind to ask them if i have to do econ for LC? or would it be more beneficial if i did do?(i guess of course it does).

and one last thing, ehmm would maths in maths and econ in TCD be like pure maths? coz i guess it is?? as it is a joint degree of two separate courses? hmmm,,,,, alot to think of :(

thank you very much by the way that helped me alot!:)

@dalax
    yeah i think iv heard that as well that UCD offers more masters abroad? (such as LSE,UCL and all) but im not 100% sure about TCD...

@beardedmaster
    yeah thats true i of course have to take a consideration in the duration of the course since iv to pay the non-eu fees which are enormously expensive aswell,,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Economics eases you in gently, no need to have done it for the LC IME.

• Advertisement

Tragedy wrote: »
    Economics eases you in gently, no need to have done it for the LC IME.

I just found out that TSM system is kinda changed in terms of point wise?! I heard that you major sub takes 750credits whereas for the second one you get 250 even though you have worked the same amount?
    Is that true and if so would that afftect my choice you think?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I've heard something similar but not sure on the details as I'm BESS(Business & Economics) rather than TSM.

NicKoreaN wrote: »
    I just found out that TSM system is kinda changed in terms of point wise?! I heard that you major sub takes 750credits whereas for the second one you get 250 even though you have worked the same amount?

Yeah, that's true. Should make no difference to your choice: the course content isn't changing, just the weighting given to each subject in terms of exams. I wouldn't really thing twice about it.

Like I said, if you're looking to get into a Masters course afterwards then it shouldn't make much difference (prestige-wise) whether you went to Trinity or UCD. If you're looking to go directly into employment abroad, then it certainly does (again, this is my personal experience).

dalax wrote: »

Yeah, that's true. Should make no difference to your choice: the course content isn't changing, just the weighting given to each subject in terms of exams. I wouldn't really thing twice about it.

Like I said, if you're looking to get into a Masters course afterwards then it shouldn't make much difference (prestige-wise) whether you went to Trinity or UCD. If you're looking to go directly into employment abroad, then it certainly does (again, this is my personal experience).

Oh okay thank you very much!!
    Im really really sorry to say this now but i have an option in the university of manchester and the university of edinburgh(iv got an offer)

Both are economics only(bA)
    But my concern for those courses are that it doesnt have as much maths(numerical course) as those im planning to do in ireland?
    But i cant also deny that the reputation for univ of manchester is as high as trinity as well and it has one of the worlds famouse MBA.....
    What do you think,.,,? Sorry for keep asking :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

If the one in Trinity does infact include pure maths, that'd be a pretty decent choice considering the Maths department in Trinity is ranked 15th in the world.

• Advertisement

@Anita Blow
    yeah il look over that as well,,,

say if you do pure maths in trinity and the whole lecture takes 30hrs per week(approx 6hrs a day.)

and say if you choose to do TSM of maths and something else(for example, economics or psychology, etc). Does the hrs of the lecture or the number of lecture halve if i choose to do TSM(so i mean maths only takes 15hrs per week and other course takes another 15hrs, which means that i get to do only half? than if i were to do the pure course only)
    or does the hrs remain same so i do 30hrs of maths and 30hrs of another course?

Oh okay thank you very much!!
    Im really really sorry to say this now but i have an option in the university of manchester and the university of edinburgh(iv got an offer)

Both are economics only(bA)
    But my concern for those courses are that it doesnt have as much maths(numerical course) as those im planning to do in ireland?
    But i cant also deny that the reputation for univ of manchester is as high as trinity as well and it has one of the worlds famouse MBA.....
    What do you think,.,,? Sorry for keep asking frown.gif
    @Anita Blow
    yeah il look over that as well,,,

say if you do pure maths in trinity and the whole lecture takes 30hrs per week(approx 6hrs a day.)

and say if you choose to do TSM of maths and something else(for example, economics or psychology, etc). Does the hrs of the lecture or the number of lecture halve if i choose to do TSM(so i mean maths only takes 15hrs per week and other course takes another 15hrs, which means that i get to do only half? than if i were to do the pure course only)
    or does the hrs remain same so i do 30hrs of maths and 30hrs of another course?

I can't comment on Manchester or Edinburgh because I have no experience of them. A lot more factors come into play than we could possibly answer: you need to consider course content, location, university life, etc.

Regarding the TSM split, it will not be exactly half. You will tend to have more hours overall than those doing single honours. This is not to say you would do the equivalent of two full subjects. I can't say exactly because it varies between years, terms and courses, but it's safe to say you would cover more than half but less than all of the maths course. For TSM Economics and Maths, probably 17/18 hours per week.

@dalax
    oh okay thank you. So what you are saying is that if i do TSM i wouldn't get as much course done as the pure course but i will get at least more than half of the pure course for each?
    does that 17/18hrs per week mean for each course or together?

@dalax
    oh okay thank you. So what you are saying is that if i do TSM i wouldn't get as much course done as the pure course but i will get at least more than half of the pure course for each?

Yeah, less than all, more than half. Typically. You should be able to see the exact modules you'd need to take each year on the course website. Those hours are total, and pretty standard.

@dalax

Yeah, less than all, more than half. Typically. You should be able to see the exact modules you'd need to take each year on the course website. Those hours are total, and pretty standard.

I have heard that ppl who do econ and fin o to the finance sector after they finish the course. Does anyone kn

@dalax

I have heard tht ppl who do econ and fin get into the finance sector after the college. Does anyone know about econ and maths in TCD as in job perspective?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlueCam

I have heard tht ppl who do econ and fin get into the finance sector after the college. Does anyone know about econ and maths in TCD as in job perspective?

If by finance you mean investment banking, then yes, economics and maths would be a great degree to do (particularly if you're looking at getting into trading). Trinity is much more highly regarded in London than UCD.

BlueCam wrote: »

If by finance you mean investment banking, then yes, economics and maths would be a great degree to do (particularly if you're looking at getting into trading). Trinity is much more highly regarded in London than UCD.

@BlueCam
    Sorry What kid of trading do you mean?!

@BlueCam

Trading as in working in the Sales & Trading division at an investment bank. Also known as securities or capital markets. Generally split into two parts - Equities and Fixed Income - and within those parts there are a range of different desks, e.g. mid-cap companies, currencies, interest rates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_and_trading

@BlueCam

Trading as in working in the Sales & Trading division at an investment bank. Also known as securities or capital markets. Generally split into two parts - Equities and Fixed Income - and within those parts there are a range of different desks, e.g. mid-cap companies, currencies, interest rates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_and_trading

@BlueCam
    Oh okay i get it.. Thank you very much! What course have you done? Would you recommend a masters degree? Im really sorry but what is a postgrad?!

• Advertisement

@BlueCam
    Oh okay i get it.. Thank you very much! What course have you done? Would you recommend a masters degree? Im really sorry but what is a postgrad?!

I did BESS. Postgrad generally refers to masters degrees, which you can do following your undergrad degree. Masters are not strictly necessary, however if you found it hard to get the job you wanted after you graduate (investment banking is very competitive), then they might beef up your CV a little.

@BlueCam

I did BESS. Postgrad generally refers to masters degrees, which you can do following your undergrad degree. Masters are not strictly necessary, however if you found it hard to get the job you wanted after you graduate (investment banking is very competitive), then they might beef up your CV a little.

What are the job perspectives for BESS grads?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

My only concern then is whether i would actually like and enjoy the course. As iv said before I like applying my maths knowledge(calculus, stats, probability,etc) to other maths-related courses rather than pure maths. This is because i attended the irish maths olympiad before and i found that pure maths isnt my cup of tea? Iv talked to the teachers and the univ students there and i thought that i wouldnt do well in the pure maths course(i somehow felt like one must be greatly talented,,,,)

Compsci/engineering? Just a suggestion!?

Advertisement