Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS or Econ and Maths(TCD) or Econ and Fin(UCD)

• 08-03-2012 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi lads this is my first time posting on this website.
    Im a sixth yr student now and Im korean. Im sitting the LC this June and iv been considering those three courses.

Up to today my first choice was econ and fin in UCD as i really enjoyed the opening day and the course itself(the contents was interesting aswell). But my mind has changed these days and im currently very confused what course to do since one of my friend who went abroad told me that the reputation of TCD is actually very well known over Europe and over the world rather than UCD.

I know it sounds stupid to talk about reputations and all but for me(being Korean) this would matter since im planning to do a master degree abroad and at some point leave Ireland and go to UK or US or back to Korea.

So my concern was which course or college would more suit me? unfortunately i didnt get to go to the TCD openings day. so iv no much informations on maths and econ and BESS.

Currently im doing Maths, Accounting, Business, App.maths and I enjoy them all. I know it is a prejudice but i do like maths and those related subs. i hope to get As in those subs and hopefully find the most suitable course and the college.

iv heard that BESS is an Art degree, so it doesnt have much MATHS in it. many friends of mine who have been doing BESS told me that maths is not the most mattered subject? in the course, which kinda sounds unattractive to me,,,

But iv heard that econ and fin in UCD and econ and Maths in TCD both require decent maths skills.

Im really sorry for the long question but im eager to make a decision as soon as possible since i really want to concentrate on my LC frown.gif

thx for reading my inquiry and hope somebody would answer it!

in summary, my question is that at some point(probably for a master degree or after college or to get a job, etc) Im leaving IRELAND and going to UK,USA or KOREA. So what im concerned is that does the reputation of the college(TCD vs UCD) would matter?(my friend told me it doesfrown.gif )and if so which one is more well known? and on top of that im considering the course btw BESS, econ nd maths and econ and fin.

actually my question would be simpler if i say which one should i go between bess in tcd, econ and maths in tcd, and econ and fin in ucd while i love maths(i love to apply my maths knowledge rather than pure maths) and planning to go abroad after the course.

Thank you veryvery much!!!smile.gif

p.s. iv heard that both colleges offer(or should i say connect) a masters degree abroad aswell? and which course/college does that more effectively?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

See my reply in TCD Forum :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Check out Actuarial and Financial studies. It's very maths-heavy and would seem to suit your interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 NicKoreaN

@Ruski
    yeah when i had a meeting with my career guidance teacher, we've talked about that course (actuarial) and somehow I managed to stick with some other courses rather than that. I think this is because that I asked alot of my friends and teachers and not many of them were familar with the course and the career perspectives it has(insurace broker?) wouldnt suit me i think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

NicKoreaN wrote: »
    @Ruski
    yeah when i had a meeting with my career guidance teacher, we've talked about that course (actuarial) and somehow I managed to stick with some other courses rather than that. I think this is because that I asked alot of my friends and teachers and not many of them were familar with the course and the career perspectives it has(insurace broker?) wouldnt suit me i think?

Bearing in mind that I don't work or study in the area I imagine an actuarial degree would easily qualify you for entry into any graduate position that specifies a commerce degree. People with a high level of proficiency in math are getting rarer.

Advertisement