Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starter motor fixed by smashing it with a wrench!!

• 08-03-2012 11:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭

During the summer i had a thread going about a problem with the bike starting consistently. I replaced the battery which resolved the issue but only for a short time.

In frustration i smashed the starter motor with a wrench and bam. The starter has worked fine for almost 5 months.

Issued started happening again in the past few weeks and got to the point today where it wouldnt start. Again i smashed it with a wrench and what do you know its starting instantly again.

What could it be? lol.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Ah if all else fails, bash it with something! :pac: Good stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

stuck bushings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Likely the solenoid is sticking and if you pull the starter off and clean the contactor it will probably work much more reliably.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Worn brushes in the motor, giving it a whack moves them enough to make good contact. You can get the starter motor refurbished which will solve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

a.k.a "The Scientific Tap":D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Percussive maintenance :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Just tried to take the starter motor off to give it a clean. It's jammed in there good and not budging. I guess the occasional whack every few months will have to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Done the trick for me in the past too. Ended up selling it befire I got the starter motor fixed. Not sure how much it would be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

most likely to be dirty brushes and easy to fix,,any auto electrical person can do that no hassle,,had the same with my car and a tap of a hammer worked every time,,worth spending a few quid to fix.

Advertisement