Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texaco Rush

Options
  • 09-03-2012 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

I see someone was out at Weldons today putting up the Texaco branding on the petrol price hoarding.

Sign also says 24 hours?

Any news on this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

No news so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Looks like its opened today.

Per the sign displayed:

Petrol €1.55.9
    Diesel €1.45.9

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭N17er

Might bring a bit of competition so. The other station in Rush is normally 5c to 7c per litre more expensive than Esso at Blakes Cross. I think that Esso is a great little station, it seems they set the prices and all the others around are watching them. Nice food too.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

The new one is 3c per litre cheaper than Hoares. Glad to see some competition ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Last time texaco was opened it was cheaper and people still used the dearer place, I simply will use the best priced garage-and I'm pretty sure that will be texaco. Even if its 1c I will out of principle and all people should do the same.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

cowzerp wrote: »
    Last time texaco was opened it was cheaper and people still used the dearer place, I simply will use the best priced garage-and I'm pretty sure that will be texaco. Even if its 1c I will out of principle and all people should do the same.
    Do you not get a neighbour's discount? ;)

dcr22B wrote: »
    Do you not get a neighbour's discount? ;)

I'll have to try that 1 out ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Added now to pumps.ie also. :),

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Guy's and Gal's, can I ask you to support thr local and well established business.

We have debated before the impact of Tesco, on local small business, this will be a typical example.

OK I agree a couple of cents on a litre makes a small difference, but the overall impact of one local garage closing will allow Tesco, to set their own price, and you can be sure any discounts will be gone.

The Local garage has been in business for 4 Generations, all Rush Locals.

Let's support local enterprise, in tough times, over Multinationals, Please

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭xxkarenxx

martinn123 wrote: »
    Guy's and Gal's, can I ask you to support thr local and well established business.

We have debated before the impact of Tesco, on local small business, this will be a typical example.

OK I agree a couple of cents on a litre makes a small difference, but the overall impact of one local garage closing will allow Tesco, to set their own price, and you can be sure any discounts will be gone.

The Local garage has been in business for 4 Generations, all Rush Locals.

Let's support local enterprise, in tough times, over Multinationals, Please

It's not a tesco garage though is it? Personally I will use the texaco garage over the existing one. I rarely used it before unless I had to really top up. They have been able to lower prices now in the last week to only one cent above the texaco and the station at blakes cross yet before they fleeced people. And after the farce when they were out of petrol for a number of days I will not go back unless necessary.

I hope texaco lasts it out. I shop in tesco all the time and the introduction of it to the town caused spar to lower their prices almost over night. I do still buy certain items in spar though. I can't afford to be loyal to one shop over another, I go to the place I can afford. Anyway who cares how long a garage has been in rush, I've been here 20 years and I'm only a blow in ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

I'm always amazed at how loyal some people are to local businesses who have clearly robbed them blind for years. As xxkarenxx says spar could drop their prices overnight (and afford to rearrange the layout) and suddenly Hoares can drop the price by the few cents to a competative level.

I'm all in favour of shopping local etc but every cent counts these days and i'd rather have it in my pocket than their's.

As Texaco goes I haven't been in it yet but I hope they stay open and maintain their prices. A little competition is always good.

xxkarenxx wrote: »
    It's not a tesco garage though is it?

Sorry folks, I mis-read the title of the thread.
    Old age, wrong prescription for my glasses and dislexia, finally taking their tole.

My point remains, support local business wherever possible, who is running the Texaco?

Sorry folks, I mis-read the title of the thread.
    Old age, wrong prescription for my glasses and dislexia, finally taking their tole.

My point remains, support local business wherever possible, who is running the Texaco?

I thought it is been run by the garage there which is local anyway

I'm all for shopping local but when the same product is dearer than down the road then they're not helping the locals that support them.

Tesco moving in could be a bad thing but Spar upped there prices during the real bad weather when people where trapped in last year so do they deserve loyalty, Hoares regularly ups the prices during busy periods too.

Whichever is cheaper is where to go if the product is the same, That's how competition works.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dubsontour

I thought it is been run by the garage there which is local anyway

I'm all for shopping local but when the same product is dearer than down the road then they're not helping the locals that support them.

Tesco moving in could be a bad thing but Spar upped there prices during the real bad weather when people where trapped in last year so do they deserve loyalty, Hoares regularly ups the prices during busy periods too.

Whichever is cheaper is where to go if the product is the same, That's how competition works.

I'v never heard that before and if it is true they definitely do not deserve any loyalty from the good people of Rush..
    Never took to Spar myself, stopped going in a few years ago when the manners of their staff left a lot to be desired.
    Although I do go in now for the paper, lotto, etc and find the staff at the moment are a really pleasant bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

I have to say I didn't feel too sorry for Eurospar when Tesco opened. They really fleeced the local community all the years when they had a monopoly. They were the dearest supermarket I ever came across. My family always dreaded being dependent on them because you couldn't get out of the place without spending the guts of €50 on even a small shop for a couple of days. Frankly Tesco has been a terrific bone to the struggle of feeding a family, especially their bargains sections. We need competition in the area as a whole. In fact it must mean that fewer people head of to Swords or Balbriggan to shop and that has to be good for Rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Please keep this on-topic - ie, Texaco Rush.

Ta,

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Texaco is being ran by a local man, John Devine. It appears to be well set up and laid out. One of the girls serving was formerly down in Hoares. Very friendly on my visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭SpatialPlanner

I rarely bought my diesel in Rush and that practice was purely down to the price. I always got it at Blakes Cross or Topaz because it was a couple of cents cheaper per litre and was handy to fill up when I was passing. However, I have started to get my fuel in the new Texaco in Rush since it opened, again primarily because of price. That and the fact that I can now conveniently buy a fill of juice in my town. When I went in for my first fill I was glad to see that there was someone local behind the counter too. Nice to keep at least some of my hard earned in the local area. Had the Esso competed with Blakes Cross over the years, I would have used it more often - but it didn't.

Fair enough, they (Hoare's) are in business to make money and good luck to them. Although if they trade on higher prices compared to other fuel stations, they can't complain when that paves the way for other suppliers to come in and supply fuel at a lower cost to the consumer. I want to shop local and do, however I refuse to support any business that is more expensive because they are the only show in town or there is a tradition because the owner is 'one of us' or local. It was interesting to see the price drop reaction to competition when it arrived. I would love to be in the position not to be bothered by a few cents per litre but like everyone else, I have to watch the pennies. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

LeoB wrote: »
    Texaco is being ran by a local man, John Devine
    JD ain't local - he's from Santry. ;)

I hope it goes well for him. He's a true gent and I always enjoy his company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

JD ain't local - he's from Santry. ;)

I hope it goes well for him. He's a true gent and I always enjoy his company.

Living in Rush:) Has been for about 15-20 years. He will never be "local" in some eyes butThats local enough for me.

There was a Queue of cars for fuel this evening.

• Advertisement

I'm intrigued at how popular his service station has become in such a short space of time. Clearly people are 'shopping around' for the cheapest fuel prices. Proper order. :)

I'm intrigued at how popular his service station has become in such a short space of time. Clearly people are 'shopping around' for the cheapest fuel prices. Proper order. :)
    There's more to it than that. It not all related to price but I won't go into it here.

There's more to it than that. It not all related to price but I won't go into it here.

Well i can only speak for myself, I go where is the best value-If Hoares are best value that's where i will go.

Yikes! I'm not as in tune with the local goings on as I thought. :D

Well i can only speak for myself, I go where is the best value-If Hoares are best value that's where i will go.

I think what most people do not realise, is that the sale of Petrol, is the least profitable part of any garage operation.
    a couple of cents gross profit on a litre, less credit card charges, cost of banking the cash, etc make the sale of petrol, almost not worth the hassle.
    It's the additional sales, in papers, small groceries, sweets, and ancilary items, puncture repairs etc, that allow the business to make a profit and continue to sell Petrol.
    Opening hours to suit the motorist, staff costs etc.

So wheras a visit to a garage for the motorist involves a large outlay on Petrol, and so he/she looks for best price, for best value its the other items available, that allow petrol to be on sale at all.

I think what most people do not realise, is that the sale of Petrol, is the least profitable part of any garage operation.
    a couple of cents gross profit on a litre, less credit card charges, cost of banking the cash, etc make the sale of petrol, almost not worth the hassle.
    It's the additional sales, in papers, small groceries, sweets, and ancilary items, puncture repairs etc, that allow the business to make a profit and continue to sell Petrol.

So wheras a visit to a garage for the motorist involves a large outlay on Petrol, and so he/she looks for best price, for best value its the other items available, that allow petrol to be on sale at all.

That's very interesting, Martin. So if we want to keep the lower fuel prices, we need to look at using what else is available in the garage when we are filling up. Sounds good to me. ;)

Yeah, and what's that mean?

people will still go to the cheapest place-and rightly so.

So if Petrol is not where they make there money they need to attract people to the shop by been competitive with the petrol prices, ps, I have no doubt that Petrol stations make good money on Petrol, it is believed they make anything from 3-5 cent per litre and they sell a lot of liters too.

Either way, competition is important and I'm not paying 1 cent more than i need too.

Yeah, and what's that mean?

people will still go to the cheapest place-and rightly so.

No issue with that, perhaps you should read my post,
    So wheras a visit to a garage for the motorist involves a large outlay on Petrol, and so he/she looks for best price,
    cowzerp wrote:
    So if Petrol is not where they make there money they need to attract people to the shop by been competitive with the petrol prices, ps, I have no doubt that Petrol stations make good money on Petrol, it is believed they make anything from 3-5 cent per litre and they sell a lot of liters too.

You may be right on your figures, if you are its a profit margin of 3% gross, i.e before expenses on a fill of petrol.
    I would buy 30.00 a week so thats 90 cents, how many business's survive on a 3% profit margin.
    cowzerp wrote:
    Either way, competition is important and I'm not paying 1 cent more than i need too.

That's grand.

You may be right on your figures, if you are its a profit margin of 3% gross, i.e before expenses on a fill of petrol.
    I would buy 30.00 a week so thats 90 cents, how many business's survive on a 3% profit margin.

Like anything it's based on overall sell and not just your sell, they sell many many liters and

I can understand the shops in town with big leases and over heads having the top prices, but not local ones in an area with lower rates than the city, probably no lease at all as it's there donkeys.

• Advertisement

It's the additional sales, in papers, small groceries, sweets, and ancilary items, puncture repairs etc, that allow the business to make a profit
    I'm constantly amused when people are fussy about shopping around to save a cent or two per litre on fuel. They then enter the shop and pick up a few extra items such as sweets, drinks etc. seemly unaware that these items are much cheaper elsewhere and thereby cancelling out any saving that they have made on the fuel.

Advertisement