Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Developments at Crufts

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

be it KC or reg'd breeders, someone is to blame for the state of some dogs in the arena. if vets are disqualifying dogs its not for the craic.

ignoring conformation, you tell me which you think is the healthier looking example of the breed. keeping in mind the first one is a multiple times ch.

this
    max.jpg

or this
    web_page_mason_large_a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I cant see anything wrong with the first dog, apart from that its slightly smaller in height than the second.

The second one to me doesnt even look like a staffie if im honest....

You just changed the pic of the second one since i started writing...:confused:

nothing wrong with the first one at all. just a typical staffie bred to standard. im just asking which getz thinks is the better example of breed to prove my point that we're coming from opposite ends of the spectrum and probably not gonna agree no matter what :)

i'd go for the second dog personally.

i changed the pic because the first one was a bitch and a fair bit taller and i meant to compare dog to dog/size to size

That second dog is stripped right back so its hard to compare a dog thats in that type of condition to one thats in normal healthy condition. Like comparing an olympic athlete to a person who does a normal amount of exercise.

The head on the second dog wouldnt be strong enough for me, its very feminine. The first dog is a little small for a male as well so that wouldnt be typical of a male staffie.

The head on the second dog wouldnt be strong enough for me, its very feminine.

irish staffy. bred with a different terrier in the mix. most of them have a more slender head.
    The first dog is a little small for a male as well so that wouldnt be typical of a male staffie.

yet max (Ch Westrova Stoic Axel) is a multiple ch.

• Advertisement

irish staffy. bred with a different terrier in the mix. most of them have a more slender head.

yet max is a multiple show ch.

Well an Irish Staffie is very diff than a Staffordshire Bull terrier, they arent even recognised for a start and look very different so you can really compare the Irish to a normal Staffie.

I know dogs that are multiple show winners too and they arent good examples of the breed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

andreac wrote: »
    I cant see anything wrong with the first dog, apart from that its slightly smaller in height than the second.

The second one to me doesnt even look like a staffie if im honest....

You just changed the pic of the second one since i started writing...:confused:
    i think he is getting mixed up, vets do not disqualify dogs from the show ring[not in the UK]they only pass on their findings to a committee,the staffy STD is quite wide in the fact the head can be terrier or bulldog type ,the ideal head would be that the width of the head should be twice as wide as the muzzle ,the hight of the dog use to be up to 16 inc and the bitch only 14 inc,but when i showed it was that the dog could be up 17 inc,the first dog in the pic looks a beauty with power and stance,on looks it would fit the original purpose it was designed for ,fighting in a pit [a small area,]

ch%20stormbull%20solo.jpg

Heres a pic of a nice Staffie whos a champion in the UK, much nicer dog than the champion in the post above.

nothing wrong with the first one at all. just a typical staffie bred to standard. im just asking which getz thinks is the better example of breed to prove my point that we're coming from opposite ends of the spectrum and probably not gonna agree no matter what :)

i'd go for the second dog personally.

i changed the pic because the first one was a bitch and a fair bit taller and i meant to compare dog to dog/size to size
    the second dog may only be a young one,staffies grow two ways,ie tall first then fill out[my champion did that when young he looked more like a whippit],or the other way short and fat then grow taller

getz wrote: »
    i think he is getting mixed up, vets do not disqualify dogs from the show ring[not in the UK]they only pass on their findings to a committee,the staffy STD is quite wide in the fact the head can be terrier or bulldog type ,the ideal head would be that the width of the head should be twice as wide as the muzzle ,the hight of the dog use to be up to 16 inc and the bitch only 14 inc,but when i showed it was that the dog could be up 17 inc,the first dog in the pic looks a beauty with power and stance,on looks it would fit the original purpose it was designed for ,fighting in a pit [a small area,]

actually if you do your research you'd find that the smaller more slender dogs were favoured in the pit. same as with pibbles, a big bulky dog wasnt much use if it couldnt get a turn on the opponent.

just look at all the champion fighting staffs from history

a_CH_Gentleman_Jim_1_.jpg
    a_psycho_good_pic_1.jpg
    a_a_chstormer0203_2_.jpg

and before i get jumped on by anyone :eek: dog fighting is disgusting. but it is part of the breed's history and what they were bred for so surely those champions from the bad old days are the perfect examples? otherwise they wouldnt have been champions, no?

• Advertisement

ch%20stormbull%20solo.jpg

Heres a pic of a nice Staffie whos a champion in the UK, much nicer dog than the champion in the post above.

too small for my tastes but a very nice structure and head size. if she was a few inches taller i'd be into it.

but thats a well bred staffy. when i talk about the fat stumpy ones that you see in the ring you know exactly the type im talking about dont you?

too small for my tastes but a very nice structure and head size. if she was a few inches taller i'd be into it.

but thats a well bred staffy. when i talk about the fat stumpy ones that you see in the ring you know exactly the type im talking about dont you?

Thats actually a he, lol. Hes a nice dog and has sired some very nice pups, my friends dog being one of them.

Yeah i dont like the fat stumpy one either but to be honest there arent a lot of them in the ring and im involved in watching the staffies quite a bit and sometimes handling them for my friend when she needs help. :)

the second dog may only be a young one,staffies grow two ways,ie tall first then fill out[my champion did that when young he looked more like a whippit],or the other way short and fat then grow taller

second dog was an irish staffy at 3 years old. he was a weight pull champion.

Thats actually a he, lol. Hes a nice dog and has sired some very nice pups, my friends dog being one of them.

Yeah i dont like the fat stumpy one either but to be honest there arent a lot of them in the ring and im involved in watching the staffies quite a bit and sometimes handling them for my friend when she needs help. :)

quite soft featured for a male! is he out of crossguns? has that look to him.

it is changing a bit ill agree, and it was great to see that big staff in best of group the other week, irish owned aswell want he? :)

No hes not Crossguns, his sire was Knockon Dance with the Divil.

Yeah he was Irish dog, i know the girl who owns him, shes lovely and only 18 so a huge win for her.

just searched 'dance with the divil' some pedigree behind him alright! :)

No hes not Crossguns

you can see where im coming from though!

cashalee_charmer_at_crossguns_1.jpg

actually if you do your research you'd find that the smaller more slender dogs were favoured in the pit. same as with pibbles, a big bulky dog wasnt much use if it couldnt get a turn on the opponent.

just look at all the champion fighting staffs from history

a_CH_Gentleman_Jim_1_.jpg
    a_psycho_good_pic_1.jpg
    a_a_chstormer0203_2_.jpg

and before i get jumped on by anyone :eek: dog fighting is disgusting. but it is part of the breed's history and what they were bred for so surely those champions from the bad old days are the perfect examples? otherwise they wouldnt have been champions, no?
    this may help you understand why the staffie looks different to day than those dogs, in 1935 making the std was one of the first duties that fell to the SBTC ,it was gone into thoroughly by a body of experts men with years of experience and ownership of the breed,two dogs were set up as examples of the breed [fearless joe] and[ jim the dandy ] one a fawn and one a brindle,a wide range of types and sizes existed in staffies in those days, it was natural that those who owned big bullie types claimed theirs was the right type,while those with long-muzzled lightweights supported theirs,for some time arguments was rife in staffordshire towns like walsall, darllston, and cradleheath,eventualy all agreed on the exhibition staffie you see today.

this may help you understand why the staffie looks different to day than those dogs, in 1935 making the std was one of the first duties that fell to the SBTC ,it was gone into thoroughly by a body of experts men with years of experience and ownership of the breed,two dogs were set up as examples of the breed [fearless joe] and[ jim the dandy ] one a fawn and one a brindle,a wide range of types and sizes existed in staffies in those days, it was natural that those who owned big bullie types claimed theirs was the right type,while those with long-muzzled lightweights supported theirs,for some time arguments was rife in staffordshire towns like walsall, darllston, and cradleheath,eventualy all agreed on the exhibition staffie you see today.

2 of those dogs are champions from the last 30 years, have been 100% proven to be fit for purpose (as disgusting as it is) and yet dont resemble the current breed standard. they are also 2 of the strongest and most sought after bloodlines.

staffies are still bred to original standards all over the place and in my opinion are a better all round dog.

breeds dont change because of time, they change because someone decides that their own ideas on the breed are better than the last persons ideas. for some breeds it has worked out fine, for others its a disaster.

m8, i know the history of the staffy but that isnt an explanation for the current standard. the exhibition staffy you see today is nowhere near the agreed upon original standard.

original breed standard
    The Staffordshire Bull Terrier is a smooth-coated dog, standing about 16 to 18 inches high at the shoulder and although muscular should be active and agile.

so the current breed standard goes down to 2 inches smaller but up to 2lbs heavier.

this is my whole argument, why did they feel the need to make the dog smaller yet heavier thru the years? are the 'experts' that agreed on the original standard only experts when it suits?

and by the way, the first picture in the fighting dogs 'gentleman jim', was the first staffordshire crufts champion in '38, yet he would be looked on as a mutant if he walked into the ring today :confused:

so who's right? the legit breeders the follow the KC's current breed standards that have already made a mockery of the bulldog, cavalier, GSD? or the legit breeders that decide to pay no attention to the current standard and rely on the original standards as guidlines. i know which i'd pick.

2 of those dogs are from the last 30 years. staffies are still bred to original standards all over the place and in my opinion are a better all round dog.

breeds dont change because of time, they change because someone decides that their own ideas on the breed are better than the last persons ideas. for some breeds it has worked out fine, for others its a disaster.

m8, i know the history of the staffy but that isnt an explanation for the current standard. the exhibition staffy you see today is nowhere near the agreed upon original standard.

original breed standard

so the current breed standard goes down to 2 inches smaller but up to 2lbs heavier.

this is my whole argument, why did they feel the need to make the dog smaller yet heavier thru the years? are the 'experts' that agreed on the original standard only experts when it suits?

and by the way, the first picture in the fighting dogs 'gentleman jim', was the first staffordshire crufts champion in '38, yet he be looked on as a mutant if he walked into the ring today :confused:
    i did tell you that the STD of 14 bitch and 16 dog was being changed in the 80s ,it was bound to happen ,as dogs [like people] are getting better food and treatment than their ancestors,and you have to adapt accordingly, you will find the same thing in many of the breeds,and wellfed humans

• Advertisement

i dont agree. i think its very much human desire based solely to change the look of a dog to whats preferential.

maybe they could be mini staffs? we already have a mini EBT, pincher and god knows what else :D

i dont agree. i think its very much human desire based solely to change the look of a dog to whats preferential.

maybe they could be mini staffs? we already have a mini EBT, pincher and god knows what else :D
    what ever happens more and more dog breeds are going to come under the microscope ,it will be of interest when the next birmingham chap show is on to see just what changes are made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I don't know if anyone else here has been continuing to follow the progress on this but I have. Thought other people might be interested in the latest update: http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/4232/23/5/3

No matter what anyone's take on the matter is, personally I firmly believe that collaboration between the involved parties is the only way forward if there is to be any hope of progress or long term improvement in the standards of health of the 15 earmarked breeds. Hopefully some sort of resolution on the matter will ultimately lead to plans of action for each specific breed and also to extending the checks to all breeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I don't know if anyone else here has been continuing to follow the progress on this but I have. Thought other people might be interested in the latest update: http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/4232/23/5/3

No matter what anyone's take on the matter is, personally I firmly believe that collaboration between the involved parties is the only way forward if there is to be any hope of progress or long term improvement in the standards of health of the 15 earmarked breeds. Hopefully some sort of resolution on the matter will ultimately lead to plans of action for each specific breed and also to extending the checks to all breeds.

Whilst discussion may appear to be a good thing the Canine Alliance only seems to of come about as a result of the Crufts fiasco. How can anyone take a new organisation of dog lovers, that are "working for the benefit of pedigree dogs", seriously when their members did nothing for so long. Are they are doing this for the welfare of dogs or for their pockets.

Whilst this discussion is going on dogs are still being born that will suffer pain & distress. Cruelty is illegal but we make exceptions for special interest groups. There is a simple solution. Get a panel of Vets to go through each breed standard. Any that promote ill heath should be either severely modified or a breed ban introduced. Every breeder should be licensed & if they fail to appropriately screen their dogs they should be prosecuted. Discussion may improve things over the next 10 or 20 years. A jail sentence would be much more effective.

The history of ten of thousands of dogs suffering shows that their welfare cannot be left in the hands of the Clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

The Canine Alliance was formed because of the disagreement of some breeders on the decisions made by the vet at Crufts on the day. It's members include breeders, judges and breed club 'officials' (if that's the correct term). 108 of the members are Kennel Club assured breeders. You are correct they were specificly formed for the purposes of putting forward alternative ideas to the KC. If an action plan can be developed that is acceptable to both that is the only way pedigree dog health can move forward. The KC needs to have this core group on board. I would like to eventually see some sort of list of criteria emerge for breeders of any description before their pups can be registered, it would probably take decades to get to that point though.

All of this activity is continuing to raise awareness amongst the general public in the UK which can only be a good thing at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

breeders of any description before their pups can be registered, it would take decades to get to that point though.

All of this activity is continuing to raise awareness amongst the general public in the UK which can only be a good thing at the end of the day.

I disagree. It could be done in months not decades. If I beat my dog every day I could be arrested & even imprisoned yet I can legally breed, show & sell a dog that has a high likelihood of long term suffering without fear of any sanction.

The general public won't be aware of this, it's hardly headline news, but no doubt the Clubs will promote it's PR value.

Advertisement