Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasonably priced blueberries

Options
  • 09-03-2012 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

I love blueberries, but they are so expensive for such a little pack, anyone know where to get the reasonably priced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

My local lidl are doing 2 packs for €3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

M&S are selling two 150g packs for €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Wait until August / September and pick your own wild ones :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Alun wrote: »
    Wait until August / September and pick your own wild ones :)

Do they grow wild in Ireland?

OP wait until they come in season in Ireland which is Jul-Sept. If your buying fruit out of season that has to be flown in from the Southern Hemisphere its going to cost then the supermarket has to add a premium on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Do they grow wild in Ireland?
    Sorry, only just saw this reply. Strictly speaking they're not exactly the same fruit, but they're from the same family as the cultivated varieties you buy in the shops, and are smaller but they're free, so that more than makes up for it.

They grow wild all over northern Europe, including Ireland. They're also known as bilberries or whortleberries in English or fraochán in Irish. I live in Wicklow, and go out hillwalking every weekend, and come August/September the hills are literally covered with them, and most of our group finish the walk with purple fingers and lips after feasting on them at every opportunity!

They grow both in wooded areas, and on open hillsides, but the best ones will be found in the open on slopes that get plenty of sun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

OP if you love blueberries you should think about buying a plant. I got one on Aldi a few years ago, I have it in a pot outside and I get tons of blueberries off it every summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

if your in north Dublin I heard there is a shop in Swords, in the village I think called JCs - they do fruit&veg for little or nothing..

Try also aldi and lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

I have to say expensive though there are , M and S blueberries are WAY nicer than aldi lidl or anywhere else.

Advertisement