Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk V St.Patricks Athletic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Hopefuly a big crowd heads up Dunny. €10 in and cheap beer like.And the footie will be good too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hanlor

Pity about the result. Players must have been taking advantage of the cheap drink!, 1998 since Pat's last lost at Oriel. Drogs up next so it's a tough start to the season

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Fantastic Result for us down in langerland .We should push on in our next 2 games against relegation candidates dundalk and bray . Drogs 2 duns 0 i reckon ....

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭house45

yeah keep dreaming, forever in our shadow!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

house45 wrote: »

Forever in the past, you mean. And I can understand that tbh - as your future certainly doesn't look too bright :D

3-0 Drogs

• Advertisement

house45 wrote: »

That shadow is getting smaller by the day mate :D It might be making a return to the graveyard fairly soon ...... I reckon it will be 2 1 on fri , derby game and all that is gonna make it a close call . Looking forward to it more than i have for years !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Forever in the past, you mean. And I can understand that tbh - as you're future certainly doesn't look too bright :D

3-0 Drogs

Like you have forgotten your league title and FAI cup:rolleyes:

Mick Cooke has done a super job and credit were credit due. i am very worried about this season but a would take a hammering from the Drogs and we stayed safe this season and allow the youth development policy kick in. Wouldnt be nice but short term pain for long term success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Fantastic Result for us down in langerland .We should push on in our next 2 games against relegation candidates dundalk and bray . Drogs 2 duns 0 i reckon ....

Unfortunately that is the first post of yours I've ever agreed with. Drogheda look an ok side this year I think the will finish mid table easily. The looked a lot more settled than we did in the Malone and can probably step it up against us on Friday.
    Forever in the past, you mean. And I can understand that tbh - as you're future certainly doesn't look too bright :D

3-0 Drogs

Tell me a club that doesn't look at their past glories?

As for our future. It actually does look bright. We are spending within our means, have decent sponsors in place, great facilities, at the end of a three year loan, new owners at the end of the season, decent fanbase.
    Granted on the field we'll be rubbish this season but the future will be good to us.

Looking forward to it more than i have for years !

I'm not surprised, it's the first time since we've been back up that you lot our hot favourites for a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

3-0 Drogs

And why not? We have a proud history.

• Advertisement

doncarlos wrote: »
    I'm not surprised, it's the first time since we've been back up that you lot our hot favourites for a game.

Exactly :D Not getting carried away to be fair . I actually would like to see the day when both clubs are in the same division and both look strong , would make the derby games even more enjoyable .Then again you getting relegated will just have to do LOL !!!!!!

Lads dont rise to the bait....

We knew we were no longer among the 'big' clubs of LoI when Drogheda started to feature as a significant rival! The fleeting days of Dreg success may have had us look down the M1 briefly, albeit while expecting the impending implosion!...we may now struggle on the field but to emulate such an illustrious roll of honour as ours would, for starters, need the demise of a true rival like Shamrock Rovers;)

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Lads dont rise to the bait....

We knew we were no longer among the 'big' clubs of LoI when Drogheda started to feature as a significant rival! The fleeting days of Dreg success may have had us look down the M1 briefly, albeit while expecting the impending implosion!...we may now struggle on the field but to emulate such an illustrious roll of honour as ours would, for starters, need the demise of a true rival like Shamrock Rovers;)

I've been going to Dundalk games since the late 80s and Drogheda were always insignificant. It wasn't until the three stooges started pumping €4million a year did anybody in Dundalk take any notice. One of the things I was actually looking forward to when we were promoted was the Louth derby as both teams doing well would have great attendance and a healthy rivalry would help push on both clubs. Unfortunately this was the point when the bubble burst on the windmill road and Drogheda moved back to their true level.
    It's good to see that things seem to be running right behind the scenes and hopefully both clubs can progress in the future as all but the most blinkered fan can see that two strong clubs in the North East benefits both clubs.

I've been going to Dundalk games since the late 80s and Drogheda were always insignificant. It wasn't until the three stooges started pumping €4million a year did anybody in Dundalk take any notice. One of the things I was actually looking forward to when we were promoted was the Louth derby as both teams doing well would have great attendance and a healthy rivalry would help push on both clubs. Unfortunately this was the point when the bubble burst on the windmill road and Drogheda moved back to their true level.
    It's good to see that things seem to be running right behind the scenes and hopefully both clubs can progress in the future as all but the most blinkered fan can see that two strong clubs in the North East benefits both clubs.

True level ? Dundalk have spent more consecutive years in the graveyard than Drogheda have . Swings and roundabouts my friend , success is fleeting in this league, and you havent been a rival of shams for many years . Your current rivals are going to be mons and bray in a relegation battle . As i said i would like to see both teams battling it out at the top of the division but its not going to happen for a long time unfortunately . We like you are building for the future and hopefully can get some financial security for a change , this is our first year since winning the league that there is any sense of confidence both on and off the pitch .

this is our first year since buying the league that there is any sense of confidence both on and off the pitch .

!!

Its a long long time since Dundalk were challengers in any meaningful way. Of course its all well and good respecting your clubs past (sure every club does it) but you lot never shut up about it! I suppose its kinda apt that you play in black and white :D

True level ?

Yeah true level!!

Are you really trying to suggest that €4million plus a year plus normal turnover, league winning, Drogheda united are their true level?

Drogheda for years were the proverbial yoyo club. Take away the blip where the money was invested and this season and they have been that way it's entire existence.

Its a long long time since Dundalk were challengers in any meaningful way. Of course its all well and good respecting your clubs past (sure every club does it) but you lot never shut up about it! I suppose its kinda apt that you play in black and white :D

Oh I know that and may be a few years before we are again. Financially we can't compete at the minute. I don't mind as long as there seems to be some sort of building process.
    And of course we don't shut up about it as it winds you lot up!! ;)
    I suppose its kinda apt that you play in black and white :D

Haha well played sir! :D

Drogheda for years were the proverbial yoyo club. Take away the blip where the money was invested and this season and they have been that way it's entire existence.

Whats all this then - a Dundalk fan struggling with history??! ;)
    It was only really in the 90's that we were the proverbial yoyo club (and it was great craic in the main I have to say, never a dull moment!!).
    Before my time but we had a very good team by all accounts around the late 70's/early 80's. Finished well up the league a lot of the time and went something like 3 seasons unbeaten in the Lourdes Stadium. Heady days I'm sure you'll agree! (but please dont compare it to your own past records ;))

http://www.dundalkfc.com/match-press-kit-the-146th-louth-derby

dundalkfc.com has uncovered some startling statistics as we look forward to the 146th Louth Derby between Dundalk and Drogheda United, which takes place at United Park on Friday night (kick-off 7.45pm).

All the facts suggest a Lilywhites win, and certainly their first goal of the season. But with many new players on both sides, will history be altered?
    Dundalk have won 20 and lost just seven of the 38 league derbies played in Drogheda, with the last defeat coming way back in January 1998. The Lilywhites have lost just one of the last 14 derbies in all competitions, and just one of the last 16 in the league.
    Dundalk have not lost against Drogheda in the month of March since 1969, 12 March meetings ago, and they have scored in the last 16 league derbies dating back to 2000.

But, picture this. Dundalk fail to score. If that happens, it will be the first time they have opened a league campaign without a goal in their first three games since 1994/95. That sequence also included a draw against Monaghan United and a defeat by Saint Patrick’s Athletic.
    Well…Dundalk went on to win the league title that season, their ninth and last Premier Division success.
    Interesting, eh?

• Advertisement

Ah Nesta are we going to resort to that bollix talk again FFS :confused: winning a league title takes money , look anywhere in the world and show me a team who dosent invest heavily while going for a title . Shelbourne , bohs , derry and drogheda all got themselves in the **** by overspending . Not proud of how it ended but very proud of all we achieved during that period and we have come out the other side a better club . Come back to me when you have payed the huge sum of money you owe to the council for your " youth development centre " :D And the council wont take payment in Bananas !

the council wont take payment in Bananas !

Ye never know, they are fyffe times better than your average banana!:p

Youth Development Centre? What? Its Oriel Active now, keep up! fantastic for a bit of Ballroom dancing....

Invest as heavily as you like (which you did) but within your means (which you didnt).

Bit of a scare earlier as it was reported that Chris Sheilds was out for the season - turned out to be a bad joke, a very bad joke! unless he fulfills his ability we are definately fooked. I say home win but just about, from the many drogs ive been talking to they are very confident, i would almost say complacent.

Yeah i have been trying to instill some caution before the game , complacency is not something we should be feeling this early in the season . We played well in our last game and you were bad by all accounts . Still reasonably confident in the win but not getting cocky .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Bit of a scare earlier as it was reported that Chris Sheilds was out for the season - turned out to be a bad joke, a very bad joke! unless he fulfills his ability we are definately fooked..

Will Shields be fit for Fridays match? Anyway i'm going for a draw.Hopeing for a good, full- blooded derby match.

Yeah i have been trying to instill some caution before the game , complacency is not something we should be feeling this early in the season . We played well in our last game and you were bad by all accounts . Still reasonably confident in the win but not getting cocky .

B*llox Southlouth - 3 nil Drogs :P

B*llox Southlouth - 3 nil Drogs :P

Goodman Windmill ! Ya cocky fecker :D

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Game is finished. Please move your discussion to the derby match thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement