Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female vocalists just dont do it for me.

Options
  • 09-03-2012 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

For some reason I find it very rare I would like a band with a female vocalist in it. I never bought a single or album from a female singer or band with a female singer , except once when I bought some dodgy single when I was 10 or so and it was my first single I bought , think it was Eternal or some destinys child type band.
    Like ok Ill appreciate the odd Tina Turner/ Janis Joplin/ Jefferson Airplane song but Id never be that moved to go out and buy it.
    Does this make me sexist.
    Im just guessing that they sing about womens stuff and I just dont get it , somebody just recommended vinegar joe, I turned it on realised it was a woman singing and lost interest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

cloptrop wrote: »
    Im just guessing that they sing about womens stuff and I just dont get it

lolwut.

Björk, Portishead, My Bloody Valentine, Pixies, Sonic Youth, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Velvet Underground (with Nico). Just to get you started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

rcaz wrote: »
    lolwut.

Björk, Portishead, My Bloody Valentine, Pixies, Sonic Youth, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Velvet Underground (with Nico). Just to get you started.

Yeah I stand corrected with bjork , thats all you said there Id be biotheredd with though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Sarah McLachlan,Cat Power,Tori Amos.

Maybe Id buy a garbage album but Im scared itll be mostly filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Hope Sandoval has an amazing voice. Check out Mazzy Star and she did some tracks with Death In Vegas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

Agree with OP actually, I'm not fussed about female singers either, they work in bands, pixies and sonic youth are 2 good examples someone already mentioned, but for every kim deal there's about 10 like yer one out of paramore

I can't listen to some of the women singer songwriter stuff, all that thinly veiled angst, and don't get me started on lisa hannigan, has anyone done any less to be famous?

Yeah think of your favourite frontman and compare them to the examples above and look at the huge difference.
    Like put jim morrison , or thom yorke or jimmy page against yer wan out of the pixies . There is a huge difference in that x factor that makes me wanna run out and buy an album.

Maybe Id buy a garbage album but Im scared itll be mostly filler.

Let's not confuse being female with being in a mediocre band.
    ...there's about 10 like yer one out of paramore

You mean ones really powerful voices and fantastic stage presence? Yeah, shame that :rolleyes:
    I can't listen to some of the women singer songwriter stuff, all that thinly veiled angst

Do you want to make any more outrageous generalisations?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,059 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

kate motherf**in bush

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Don't frequent this section much:

Ultimate female vocal:

The Ecstasy Of Gold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Check out Elysian Fields, or for some powerful blues/rock/soul listen to the Tedeschi Trucks Band. Incredible.

Forgot about Sibylle Baier when I made that post last night, really cool stuff. The lines she sings are claaaaass. Cool story too, she recorded this stuff in the 70s and her son eventually made a compilation CD and gave a copy to J Mascis who passed it on to a label.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Lykke Li, Goldfrapp, Warpaint all excellent female bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭odonopenmic

For some reason I find it very rare I would like a band with a female vocalist in it. I never bought a single or album from a female singer or band with a female singer , except once when I bought some dodgy single when I was 10 or so and it was my first single I bought , think it was Eternal or some destinys child type band.
    Like ok Ill appreciate the odd Tina Turner/ Janis Joplin/ Jefferson Airplane song but Id never be that moved to go out and buy it.
    Im just guessing that they sing about womens stuff and I just dont get it , somebody just recommended vinegar joe, I turned it on realised it was a woman singing and lost interest.

Hey Cloptrop,

I've been thinking about your post and you're asking if not liking female vocalists makes you sexist...

It's weird - there are a lot of female vocalists that get on my nerves, either with wavering, quivering windpipes or whispered cutesy bullsh*t, or others that sometimes just don't seem to have the same gravitas as a male vocal does. I can see where you're coming from on a lot of these fronts.

I think though, where it does become sexist is where you make a generalisation and say that all women just sing about 'women's stuff' or if you take a whole group of people and decide that you don't like this, a decision which seems to be based more on the group in question than the range of music they produce. I know you say that it's rare that you do like a female vocalist, and hey, who am I to tell you what you should or should not like? However, as a female musician, I do find it a bit of an eye roller that you 'guess that they sing about women's stuff' and discount a rather sizeable group of humankind accordingly :rolleyes:

The other side of the coin is that from my female perspective, I could argue that all men sing about is men's stuff and what on earth has that got in common with me? But I recognise that this would be a fairly limiting argument and would rule out so many brilliant musicians and vocalists that it would really be my loss to think that way. As such, I don't bother with the lads who get on my nerves and do bother with the ones that genuinely move me.

So... what am I saying? I'm not a fan of many female warblers and yet I'm a big fan of many female vocalists. I'm a fan of great music and to me it would be a shame to let a generalisation turn any of us off the possibility of getting into some good music.

So that'd be my two cents on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

If you dont like female voaclists then dont buy their work. You dont have to, its not being sexist to state a preference.

On the other hand it sounds a bit like you're saying female vocalists have nothing relevant to say to you, my advice is buy PJ Harvey's "Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea" that will change your mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

If you never buy anything by Kate Bush, Joni Mitchell, Billie Holiday, Nina Simone, Karen Carpenter, Emmylou Harris, Stevie Nicks, Rosanne Cash, Dolly Parton, Sandy Denny, Linda Thompson, Grace Slick, Aretha Franklin, PJ Harvey or Kristin Hersh then that's your loss.

I don't really get what you mean by 'womens stuff'. If you mean they often sing about being in love with a man rather than the way a male singer might sing about being in love with a women then I suppose you're right. In which case you could listen to K.D. Lang or Melissa Etheridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

^ A-1 ... you could could also add Mama Cass Elliot ,Judith Durham and Barbra Streisand to that list above to .Female singers from all musical generes rock .

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Shy?!

'I turned it on realised it was a woman singing and lost interest.'

That speaks volumes! Hello???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

If you are sexist then I am sexist against my own sex. The vast majority, and I mean vast, of my music collection is made up of males. I don't know what it is, or what it's about but males just seem to grab my attention and keep it for longer. Also I may be killed for saying this but I find that female voices often sound samey, whereas male voices at least with the music I listen to range massively, I think females just need to experiment more.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    If you are sexist then I am sexist against my own sex. The vast majority, and I mean vast, of my music collection is made up of males. I don't know what it is, or what it's about but males just seem to grab my attention and keep it for longer. Also I may be killed for saying this but I find that female voices often sound samey, whereas male voices at least with the music I listen to range massively, I think females just need to experiment more.

'Also I may be killed...' I'd change that 'may' to a ;WILL' and start running. Really fast. But I will catch you. And I will kill you. Or maybe I won't kill you. I do think you are both being extremely ignorant though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭mikeyboy

Yep, no doubt about it all female singers sound the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Karin Dreijer.

Oh and Victoria Legrand. Beautiful voice.

and don't get me started on lisa hannigan, has anyone done any less to be famous?

Yes. Several people, in fact.

Now you have it. I totally agree. All females (excluding my great self) have the same whiny voice when they are singing and nagging the superior males. They should just stick to what they were born to do and we all know that's household duties. Cleaning, cooking, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Shy?! wrote: »
    meoklmrk91 wrote: »

'Also I may be killed...' I'd change that 'may' to a ;WILL' and start running. Really fast. But I will catch you. And I will kill you. Or maybe I won't kill you. I do think you are both being extremely ignorant though.

Let me explain a little further, I don't think females are bad singers, and I do have some exceptionally talented ladies as part of my music collection, it's just that female singers are not really to my taste personally I just prefer males. I don't know why i just do, the same way a lot of people I know prefer female singers over males. When I say ladies need to expriment more I mean in the genres of music that are to my taste. Not everyone needs to sound the same and I personally think there is a bit more diversity in the singing voices of males than there is females, actually a lot more. But I think that is due more to record companies and imaging.

I love the voice of this girl singing on the 02 phone add of Pete Seegers 'Little Boxs ' ...it's very soothing on the ears

I have this tune on a Christmas compilation CD I was listening to over winter, really like it, anyone know anything more by Stina Nordenstam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I dont know OP, you're entirely entitled to your opinion and there's no arguing taste but from where I stand there's a whole world of fantastic music out there you're missing out on.

I'd agree with you that there's a lot of rubbish out there. But if you look a bit harder there are some female vocalists with powerful voices and great presence.

Maybe Destiny's Child was really the place to start though, I'll grant you that :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADDigK8LwyE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH-RPvJ_9as&feature=fvst
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1aksT6b1kU&ob=av2n
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxByDgpLmss
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqxMXlqCFZw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN_Aq2W2Yi0&ob=av2e

• Advertisement

'' you've got a really lovely voice love ''

^ John Lennon to Karen Carpenter as he walked past her table at an award ceremony.

Advertisement