Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female vocalists just dont do it for me.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Never heard of Bobbie Gentry , them two songs are great though , I havnt listened to the other ones Im busy watching a Courtney Love bashing documentary , what Bobbie Gentry album should I download ,,,,,,,,,,,,,legally .:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

cloptrop wrote: »
    Never heard of Bobbie Gentry , them two songs are great though , I havnt listened to the other ones Im busy watching a Courtney Love bashing documentary , what Bobbie Gentry album should I download ,,,,,,,,,,,,,legally .:cool:

I doubt you'd like a lot of her other songs, it took ages for them to grow on me. :)

Those songs would be her most popular I suppose. Most are on YouTube but the quality and quantity varies.

Some of her songs would be harder to find but they're usually her better stuff in my opinion.

I'd try Ode to Bobbie Gentry. It by no means contains all her best songs (only a few) in my opinion but it's one that has to be listened to again and again and the songs really grow on you (or they did for me anyway) but those two songs I embedded are quality stuff.

Sindri wrote: »
    I doubt you'd like a lot of her other songs, it took ages for them to grow on me. :)

Those songs would be her most popular I suppose. Most are on YouTube but the quality and quantity varies.

Some of her songs would be harder to find but they're usually her better stuff in my opinion.

I'd try Ode to Bobbie Gentry. It by no means contains all her best songs (only a few) in my opinion but it's one that has to be listened to again and again and the songs really grow on you (or they did for me anyway) but those two songs I embedded are quality stuff.

Yeah that one there sounds so cool and fresh like something Id listen to when I steak out banks , I was shocked to see how old it was , although they had banks back in those days too. In all honesty she does yak on about cothes and stuff , but she makes it interesting .
    What I did mean when I started the thread though was women in rock bands , which although bjork was good , and yer wan in beautiful south was good < not a rock band really > none of them come close to plant , mercury , daltry , morrison , even Liam Gallagher is miles ahead of any female lead singer in a rock band .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

My fav Bobby Gentry song ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Yeah that one there sounds so cool and fresh like something Id listen to when I steak out banks , I was shocked to see how old it was , although they had banks back in those days too. In all honesty she does yak on about cothes and stuff , but she makes it interesting .
    What I did mean when I started the thread though was women in rock bands , which although bjork was good , and yer wan in beautiful south was good < not a rock band really > none of them come close to plant , mercury , daltry , morrison , even Liam Gallagher is miles ahead of any female lead singer in a rock band .

Yeah they wouldn't be as prominent as their male counterparts I suppose.

Sindri wrote: »
    Yeah they wouldn't be as prominent as their male counterparts I suppose.

I think the Y chromosome just rocks harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

With such a growl, I was surprised to see a woman singing at Hellfest! Had only heard them on CD before then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

From same era as Bobby Gentry ....Mama Cass Elliot

^ Saw her in concert before christmas ...she still has the voice .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

typically men are the adventurers where women are the home makers so... never bn a fan of the cosy stuff myself so lets boldly go. womens music is womens stuff. vocals in particular.. tomboys r alright by me

only women in music i can bear personally are in the gothic, postpunk cruella type magdalene sister style. this is by a woman and i find myself often saying "this is my favourite song!" and it often holds true.. great vocals on the chorus. real passion and sincerity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I actually prefer female vocalists for the most part.

It all begins and ends with Billie Holiday. She's one of if not the greatest and most influential singer of all time.

Janis Joplin was an incredible vocalist. Unmistakable voice. This is an amazing live performance. Mama Cass' reaction is great.

One of the best singers ever, man or woman.

I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't listen to Patti Smith.

She's one of the best artists out there right now.

That's only a few, but there are so many from Ella Fitzgerald to Grace Slick, Lauryn Hill to Cat Power. If you approach with a somewhat more open mind you might get something out of it, rather than writing off an entire section of society because they talk about "women stuff". You're the only one losing out really.

LH Pathe wrote: »
    typically men are the adventurers where women are the home makers so... never bn a fan of the cosy stuff myself so lets boldly go. womens music is womens stuff. vocals in particular.. tomboys r alright by me

only women in music i can bear personally are in the gothic, postpunk cruella type magdalene sister style. this is by a woman and i find myself often saying "this is my favourite song!" and it often holds true.. great vocals on the chorus. real passion and sincerity

YYYeeeeeeeeeeeeahhhhhh we will put that in the maybe pile beside the bin , as far away from pinball wizard as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭actua11

It depends.....

There are some songs like above that a man could not perform as well as PJ Harvey, and by the same token a woman probably couldn't do justice to Sabbath's 'Paranoid'. I think it's simply that certain styles of music or certain styles of music are better suited to a specific gender.

The first example that comes to mind is how Siouxsie Sioux, The Slits and Patti Smith etc. didn't mimic the more aggressive punk music of The Clash, Sex Pistols or Ramones but rather both genders played to their strengths in their own style.

oh i do like PJ.. last album / tour was great.

let england shake. Slits, very good too

I actually prefer female vocalists for the most part.

It all begins and ends with Billie Holiday. She's one of if not the greatest and most influential singer of all time.

Janis Joplin was an incredible vocalist. Unmistakable voice. This is an amazing live performance. Mama Cass' reaction is great.

One of the best singers ever, man or woman.

I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't listen to Patti Smith.

She's one of the best artists out there right now.

That's only a few, but there are so many from Ella Fitzgerald to Grace Slick, Lauryn Hill to Cat Power. If you approach with a somewhat more open mind you might get something out of it, rather than writing off an entire section of society because they talk about "women stuff". You're the only one losing out really.

PJ Harvey made me wanna tap my foot , maybe its the industry as a whole that doesnt bother putting a decent backing track to female vocals , there just seems to be intro verse chorus, where pink floyd would have intro , interlude , some more intro , part where the intro rocks , verse , some more awesome stuff , bit more verse , chorus etc etc.
    Maybe thats what Im missing with girl frontmen/women.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

PJ Harvey made me wanna tap my foot , maybe its the industry as a whole that doesnt bother putting a decent backing track to female vocals , there just seems to be intro verse chorus, where pink floyd would have intro , interlude , some more intro , part where the intro rocks , verse , some more awesome stuff , bit more verse , chorus etc etc.

Because only females use simple song structures, and only Pink Floyd have complicated ones?

Complicated doesn't make it better. There's a lot to be said for simplicity.

rcaz wrote: »
    Because only females use simple song structures, and only Pink Floyd have complicated ones?
    Complicated doesn't make it better. There's a lot to be said for simplicity.

Yeah I think men push the boundaries of 3 chords verse chorus more than women do .
    I think women are still on the page of old style male crooners, apart from the few.
    Its not their fault its the industry and their management . Ok it sounds pretty but it doesnt make me wanna pick up a guitar or tell the bus driver to floor it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I'm more favoured toward male vocals but Kate Bush, Sade, Deborah Lyall are fanstastic, oh, and yer one from M-People.

guitarzero wrote: »
    I'm more favoured toward male vocals but Kate Bush, Sade, Deborah Lyall are fanstastic, oh, and yer one from M-People.

I was gonna check out this sade and deborah lyall then you mentioned mpeople and I got insubordinate.
    Ever hear itchycoo park by the small faces, ten times better.

LH Pathe wrote: »

YYYeeeeeeeeeeeeahhhhhh we will put that in the maybe pile beside the bin , as far away from pinball wizard as possible.

then maybe you could change the pinball wizard words to ever since I was a young girl, I played with stephens balls. from Blackpool down to Brighton, I must have played with them all. even the deaf dumb and blind kids

honest man what do you actually want. n I thought I was the stubbornest mysogonist in the cuntry, you have bjork and pj n that chick what played bass in bolt thrower

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

I remember I had a crush on her and thus thought they were better than they probably were. it's like a womans approach to football :/ it's not right. cloptrop maybe it's not to your taste demeanor wise or you've not found that which is yet but women can do stuff unique to men. We just have to lay back and let them!

..seriously though it'll likely be priority vocals with the girls let's face it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Yeah I think men push the boundaries of 3 chords verse chorus more than women do .
    I think women are still on the page of old style male crooners, apart from the few.

Are you trolling here or something? All women are less musically innovative than all men? That's a ****ing ridiculous thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Course its trolling. Surprised he's managed to string so many along.
    Are you trolling here or something? All women are less musically innovative than all men? That's a ****ing ridiculous thing to say.

Wouldn't be surprised. He did something quite similar in the hip hop forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Are you trolling here or something?

He has to be... Either that, or he does not cast his net very far.

• Advertisement

bullpost wrote: »
    Course its trolling. Surprised he's managed to string so many along.
    Wouldn't be surprised. He did something quite similar in the hip hop forum.
    Rigsby wrote: »
    He has to be... Either that, or he does not cast his net very far.

Calling someone a troll is mean , as for the first question from rcaz , no Im not trolling in general men as opposed to women I dont mean every man is a better frontman than women , I mean in general .

Second bullpost , why is this trolling ,

Third Da Shins Kelly , let it go man It was like 2 months ago and I think rappers get a bit more credit than they deserve , that is not trolling its an opinion

Rigsby , I said I liked some of the stuff you posted up , I am not a fisherman though I think you have me confused with the waterboys.

Sorry if I come across as being smart in this post but its very annoying when people call stuff like this trolling . If I wanted to troll there would be alot better threads to go to to cause upset.

Advertisement