Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the minimum amount per hour you would accept for office work?

Options
  • 09-03-2012 3:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

hey can anyone tell me what is the minimum hourly pay they would accept for office work in perth??? ive been told to ask for 25 upwards but an agency today said they can only offer 21 and maybe up to 25....(the 25 sounded very unlikely)

can anyone tell me about there experiences.

thanks. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Are you on a whv? If so then the minimum you should accept is minimum wage.

Are you desperate for work? Do you have many options whereby you can afford to turn down things?

$21 an hour is about $44k a year which is well liveable. $25 is $52k which is above the average of $50k.

'Only $21' is not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

niva*sis wrote: »
    hey can anyone tell me what is the minimum hourly pay they would accept for office work in perth??? ive been told to ask for 25 upwards but an agency today said they can only offer 21 and maybe up to 25....(the 25 sounded very unlikely)

can anyone tell me about there experiences.

thanks. :D

Ask the agency what they are charging ... if the agency said 'maybe' then ask for that.

But as Xavi said 21 is liveable but squeeze as much as you can from an agency, as that's what they will do to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Xavi6 wrote: »

Are you desperate for work? Do you have many options whereby you can afford to turn down things?

$21 an hour is about $44k a year which is well liveable. $25 is $52k which is above the average of $50k.

http://www.emigratetoaustralia.org/average-wages-australia.html

Average is a lot higher than 50k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

04072511 wrote: »
    Xavi6 wrote: »

http://www.emigratetoaustralia.org/average-wages-australia.html

Average is a lot higher than 50k.

Average of retail workers is 48k a year on that very site. The average wage overall is skewed due to mining and FIFO work.

'office work' is a loose term but office workers dont earn close to people on FIFO or in mines.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

That's massively scewed by mining salaries I'd say. I doubt the city average is close to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

NZ average for normal office work is $18-21/hr.
    Going up to $23-25/hr.

Few of my friends have done it. All started on the lower end and as they changed temp jobs with the agency the pay went up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Basing this on Sydney wages but I wouldn't work for less than $25 here now. Simply too many unskilled office jobs out there willing to pay it that you'd be mad to settle for less.

One thing I’ve noticed from my time here is how well paid unskilled/basic jobs are here in relation to more advanced work. For example I’ve gotten stuck in god damn Accounts Payable jobs for the last while, and am getting 24 p/h to do the easiest work imaginable. Assistant Accountant jobs (which I am trying to get, but not getting much help from the agencies!!) pay at 28-32. Not an awful lot more, for work that is much more advanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

One thing I’ve noticed from my time here is how well paid unskilled/basic jobs are here in relation to more advanced work. For example I’ve gotten stuck in god damn Accounts Payable jobs for the last while, and am getting 24 p/h to do the easiest work imaginable. Assistant Accountant jobs (which I am trying to get, but not getting much help from the agencies!!) pay at 28-32. Not an awful lot more, for work that is much more advanced.

Is this in melbourne?

zweton wrote: »
    Is this in melbourne?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

So you start at $21 and work a few short term contracts, get some good feedback behind you. And then you get better contracts and $25.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Arrived in Melbourne yesterday, what agency would be the best to contact for accounts receiveable/admin work?

zweton wrote: »
    Arrived in Melbourne yesterday, what agency would be the best to contact for accounts receiveable/admin work?

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭niva*sis

do you need experience to do accounts payable or is it a matter of do one and it is all the same after that, i did a bit of accounting in college and would know the basics but would be interested in branching off in to accounts or hr assistant or something with a more stable title than just "general office work"

niva*sis wrote: »
    do you need experience to do accounts payable or is it a matter of do one and it is all the same after that, i did a bit of accounting in college and would know the basics but would be interested in branching off in to accounts or hr assistant or something with a more stable title than just "general office work"

In lots of the job descriptions on seek you will see that they require experience, somebody to have knowledge of double entry bookkeeping etc etc, but IMO that’s all a bit of a joke. Let’s call a spade a spade, it is glorified admin. You could be trained to do the job within a week and you’d have little bother after that. A word of warning though, you need to have a strong tolerance for highly repetitive boring tasks. I’m going mad doing this and as soon as anything in any way better comes along I’m gone. Unfortunately the market for part qualified accountants like myself doesn’t seem that great at the moment (or so the agencies are telling me, not sure if I’d believe much they say!).

I’d say my accountancy exams and past experience has helped with about 1% of my job. You’d have no problems adapting to such a job. Literally anybody could do it IMO, but it’s a funny one, they may still, despite the simplicity of the job, prefer to go for somebody with finance/ accountancy experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

One thing I’ve noticed from my time here is how well paid unskilled/basic jobs are here in relation to more advanced work.

I've noticed the exact same in I.T. Most entry level and support type stuff pays way better in Aus than at home but higher end development and contracting etc is much same rates as Ireland.
    A mate of mine just moved to Melbourne doing network support stuff and he's paid almost twice what he got in Dublin, I make the same or slightly less here than in Ireland!

Advertisement