Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late to apply for Canada IEC 2012??

Options
  • 09-03-2012 4:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭

Just wondering would it be too late to apply for a Canadian IEC Visa now? It says on the website that there's just over 4,000 left but I know there's a backlog which will more than likely reduce this number greatly. There's 3 or 4 of us hoping to work abroad with Canada being our first choice and Australia number 2.

What are your opinions? Should we apply for Canada (keeping in mind we need to send away for garda vetting etc.) or just apply for Australia?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rojorolo

I only sent off my application a week ago. I'd get on the Garda Cert asap that delayed me a lot but if you go and sort it in person instead of relying on post and phone calls you should get it sorted quicker than I did.

Friends of mine headed out in November last year after getting the visa in October. They literally got the visas when the quota ran out.

So I would say if you got your skates on you should be ok. Worth a go either way. There is a great thread on boards with peoples experience of IEC this year. Might help a little.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056488704&page=61

best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

There's 5,350 visas available for canada and they still have 4,012 left according to their website. I'm putting off applying for another 2 weeks or so as I have other things in the pipeline and I don't want to waste a visa as once you're approved you can't cancel it if something comes up and that's 1 of your 2 possible visas gone.

I wouldn't rush, they won't run out for a few months yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

youre better off doing your application when things have died down a bit, based on the mess that it appears to be right now

• Registered Users Posts: 38 shanem4422

i think you should get your ass in gear and apply. i sent the application 4 weeks ago and havnt heard a word back yet, you dont even accept the visa until they look for the money off you so by the time you have the paper work soeted and sent off it will be about 6 weeks before they look for that, you should keep every option open

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Yeah it's a total mess. I'm starting to wonder will I bother at this rate. I sent off my application on the 23rd of January, got a receipt on the 24th February and was told that I'd hear something within a fortnight. Heard nothing yet and I'm not exactly expecting anything either. The whole thing is atrociously bad, especially considering you can get a visa for Oz in 48 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I think I'm going to wait and hope they clear up the mess and apply then.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

token101 wrote: »
    Yeah it's a total mess. I'm starting to wonder will I bother at this rate. I sent off my application on the 23rd of January, got a receipt on the 24th February and was told that I'd hear something within a fortnight. Heard nothing yet and I'm not exactly expecting anything either. The whole thing is atrociously bad, especially considering you can get a visa for Oz in 48 hours.

Got my receipt on Feb 21st and not a peep since

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Against

Nice to have a new thread, the other ones are getting a bit bloated!

@Shanem I did it last year and it took 6 weeks, hang tight.. you should have some email receipt of application at least, though. Maybe the backlog is delaying that.

I've seen on the site that there's 4033 places remaining. However, I've been keeping an eye on this over the last 2 weeks and this figure has climbed from about 3850. So there's 2 possibilities as I see it:

a) The counter's wrong and is somehow showing the amount of visas granted (a typical simple programming error)

b) Some visas were granted but then revoked, e.g. if payment wasn't received.

I'd be more inclined to believe the latter as the former would be a pretty amateur error. Also I don't think all the visas were finished until Nov/Dec last year, so they mightn't be going all that fast.

But yeah, I'd recommend going through the paces, getting the police cert etc. that's free and just need 2/3 weeks.

I myself am in Canada, my WHV expires the end of June, not sure i'll reapply as I've lived in several countries and am kind of screwed by the need for a police cert for each one, might try the LMO option instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Quick question. I have no criminal record but I've been in court twice. Will that have any effect on being granted a visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

hefferboi wrote: »
    Quick question. I have no criminal record but I've been in court twice. Will that have any effect on being granted a visa?

Nope, your police cert will show up "no trace". They're only concerned with actual criminal offences you've been convicted with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 shanem4422

@Against, thanks for the reply, i wouldnt agree with the visas lasting till november this year though after seeing the crowds at the rds for the expo this year!! the carpark resembled a builders merchants with all the trade vans in it, all we can do is wait now anyway, just hoping the application dosent get rejected and set me back further

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ger b

hi all,quick question.Has anyone heard/used Simply Visas?cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

shanem4422 wrote: »
    @Against, thanks for the reply, i wouldnt agree with the visas lasting till november this year though after seeing the crowds at the rds for the expo this year!! the carpark resembled a builders merchants with all the trade vans in it, all we can do is wait now anyway, just hoping the application dosent get rejected and set me back further

most of the people at that wouldn't be going on the IEC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 bananarep

Hi guys I'm in Canada and sending my application by fed ex today I got an immigration consultant to do it cause heard of loads of people being rejected for little mistakes - just hate this waiting game again this year but my company are also looking into pr for me at the end of 12 mobths so I'm lucky ( hopefully) I'd be surprised if they last to nov again this year (a) they opened earlier and (b) seems every second person I speak from home is coming to Canada

• Registered Users Posts: 6 earpul80

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can clarify this, do you need a police cert for just Ireland, I have lived here all my life except for 3 years in UK from 2004 to 2006 have been home over 5 years now do I need to get a cert from UK Police as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

earpul80 wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can clarify this, do you need a police cert for just Ireland, I have lived here all my life except for 3 years in UK from 2004 to 2006 have been home over 5 years now do I need to get a cert from UK Police as well?

Simple answer - Yes, you also need one for the UK - just read the FAQ under Police Cert (http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/faq.aspx?view=d#PoliceCert)

I have spent more than six months in another country previously to applying to the IEC. Do I need to submit police certification from this country?

Yes. If you have lived in a country other than Canada for a period of more than six months since your eighteenth birthday, you must also enclose a valid police certificate from that country. Information on how to obtain police certificates from various countries can be found on CIC's website.

I lived in Germany for 18 months 7 years ago and I submitted a german police cert

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

leggit wrote: »
    There's 5,350 visas available for canada and they still have 4,012 left according to their website. I'm putting off applying for another 2 weeks or so as I have other things in the pipeline and I don't want to waste a visa as once you're approved you can't cancel it if something comes up and that's 1 of your 2 possible visas gone.

I wouldn't rush, they won't run out for a few months yet

That because they are processing probably about 1 application a week at the moment. They probably have a room with 4011 applications waiting to be processed! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 emc18

hi,
    has anyone had a problem with the printing of the barcode after filling out forms?

I started by filling out the applications and declarations form but my computer froze when i went to print. So I filled it in again, and when I went to print, it prints to 'page 4 of 5' and then doesn't print the th page which I'm assuming is the barcode page. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Hi all,

Fed ex confirmed my application was delivered on Wednesday but I still haven't received my receipt email is this delay normal this yr???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lindzation

bananarep wrote: »
    Hi all,

Fed ex confirmed my application was delivered on Wednesday but I still haven't received my receipt email is this delay normal this yr???

Very.. took 4 weeks to get a receipt for us..

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

bananarep wrote: »
    Hi all,

Click on any topic referring to Canada in this forum and you'll see a post by some1 referring to wait times!

I got mine this week. It took 10 days! Maybe I was lucky. Or maybe the back log is clearing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Donkey16

Did people include a photocopy of their current IEC visa when they were appying for the second year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

This post has been deleted.

Unless they discontinue the IEC program. Which I don't think there is much chance of...?

The 2013 IEC Program should start sometime in January! I'm sure information regarding it will come online in the final months of 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

Wouldn't worry too much about the number of visas remaining.

Fact is, I inquired with USIT about the 2012 program around August of last year and they told me they still had loads left.

I think a lot of people throw their names in the hat at the start of the year...just in case. But as the months roll by reality starts to kick in, the costs of the visa itself, flights, spare cash to tie oneself over while looking for a job and setting oneself up in Canada, its all one big risk for newbie travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Wouldn't worry too much about the number of visas remaining.

Fact is, I inquired with USIT about the 2012 program around August of last year and they told me they still had loads left.

I think a lot of people throw their names in the hat at the start of the year...just in case. But as the months roll by reality starts to kick in, the costs of the visa itself, flights, spare cash to tie oneself over while looking for a job and setting oneself up in Canada, its all one big risk for newbie travellers.

This is true, the last 1000 visas last year took ages to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jeff33

Hi all,

I have been following a few threads on here regards the IEC 2012 & the processing times are the main topic of concern & panic. I am currently on my first IEC & living in Calgary. My Visa expires in July this year, so I applied for my second year in January 2012. I sent it with FedEx from Toronto & the tracking number showed it was delivered & signed for at the Embassy on the 26th of January. I received Email Confirmation on the 26th of February that they received my Application. A whole 4 weeks later. My next contact Email was on the 16th of March for payment. Another 3 weeks added to the processing time. I paid the Visa fees on the 20th of March & I havent heard any contact from them since then. Yes thats 6 weeks since I paid the Visa fees & no contact. So to date my Visa application is 3 months in the making & still no LOI. Now I see there is only 400 Visa's remaining & I'm starting to panic myself. I applied last year around the same time in January & I had my LOI Visa in 6 weeks. Plus there was alot more contact from the Embassy. Its just all over the shop this year & very hard to judge whats happening at the Visa Offices. Try contacting them & you are in for more stress. They dont respond.:mad:

Best of luck to anyone still waiting, we are all in the same boat.

Jeff.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Jeff33 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have been following a few threads on here regards the IEC 2012 & the processing times are the main topic of concern & panic. I am currently on my first IEC & living in Calgary. My Visa expires in July this year, so I applied for my second year in January 2012. I sent it with FedEx from Toronto & the tracking number showed it was delivered & signed for at the Embassy on the 26th of January. I received Email Confirmation on the 26th of February that they received my Application. A whole 4 weeks later. My next contact Email was on the 16th of March for payment. Another 3 weeks added to the processing time. I paid the Visa fees on the 20th of March & I havent heard any contact from them since then. Yes thats 6 weeks since I paid the Visa fees & no contact. So to date my Visa application is 3 months in the making & still no LOI. Now I see there is only 400 Visa's remaining & I'm starting to panic myself. I applied last year around the same time in January & I had my LOI Visa in 6 weeks. Plus there was alot more contact from the Embassy. Its just all over the shop this year & very hard to judge whats happening at the Visa Offices. Try contacting them & you are in for more stress. They dont respond.:mad:

Best of luck to anyone still waiting, we are all in the same boat.

Jeff.:eek:

Once you get your confirmation email, they are reserving a visa for you. No need to panic!

• Advertisement
Advertisement