Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman with black lab on South beach 09 Mar 07:40

Options
  • 09-03-2012 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if you will read this - but hope you do or someone who knows you does.

I met you this morning on the promenade at the south beach between the new lifeguard hut and the rock of art.
    I was there with my two dogs, both on the lead and one muzzled (she is terrified of people and children but that is another story).

You approached coming down towards the hut with your black lab (I think - terrible at recognising breeds, almost as bad as recognising peoples faces) off the lead, not a problem many dogs are off the lead and still remain under proper control.
    When your dog saw us he accelerated a little and ignored your recalls.
    First thing I noticed was your worried voice and then I saw the dgos hackles all raised.
    "He might growl a little you said" - not sure what my response was but as your dog drew level with ours - still off the lead you lashed out and cuffed him on the side of his head with a resounding smack.

To be honest I was too much in shock to say anything here beyond some meaningless drivel.

A few things
    1. What the hell do you think you are teaching your dog by doing this? All you are doing is re-inforcing whatever fear is driving him and he will eventually snap - if not at you at some other dog.
    2. Why the hell knowing how your dog might react was he not on a lead and under proper control?

I really pity your dog - he looked lovely - but that is not and never will be appropriate behaviour to show any animal.
    Please please contact a registered dog trainer - there are quite a few out there and spend some time learning how to appropriately control your dog. This is not a rant at someone with their dog off lead - I wish we could let ours off but their recall is not good enough for that, this is just a note from someone who was horrified at seeing a gorgeous dog being harshly treated by the one person they are meant to trust the most.

<sigh> signed
    one now angry and annoyed dog lover.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 josh79

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. It's such a shame that happened especially with all the bad press dogs on beaches are getting at the moment.
    A small proportion of dog owners will ruin it for the rest. A real shame:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

She didn't call the dog by it's name did she?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

It's amazing what some people this is acceptable.
    homer911 wrote: »
    She didn't call the dog by it's name did she?

Even if she did, I'm not sure if it would be appropriate to give it here. She will know who she is if she reads this. And if someone knows a black lab with that kind of temperament*, make sure you point the owner in this direction.

*[OffTopic] Never knew there was an 'a' in temperament. GOAN SPELL CHECKER!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

She used the dog's name - to be honest I am worse with names than I am with faces - so I cannot remember it.

It really saddens me to see such a lovely animal mistreated like that.
    I really have an issue with a dog owner physically assaulting their animal because the dog did not listen to her and did what dogs do - come see other dogs. OK - yes the dog appeared agressive - but clearly she did not have control of her pet and knowing it could be agressive to other animals she chose to walk it off lead.

If she knew there was a chance of this and also knew that the dog would not obey (why would it when it just gets hit) then she should have had the dog on a lead.

Personally I would love to walk my two off lead - but as above - their recall is terrible and with their fear of people especially children I just could not trust them not to snap if they got scared enough.

Advertisement