Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Persona Series - Where Do I Start?

Options
  • 09-03-2012 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭

I have recently gotten back into PSP games after getting my Vita.

I was browsing the PSP section of the Store and came across a number of Persona titles. Having heard good things about them, I was thinking of picking one up. However, I have no idea where to start.

Is the series similar to Final Fantasy, in that they are self-contained stories, or are they all linked?

If they are linked, would I then need to start from the start? Or could I go with the latest one?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Almost entirely self contained. There are linking elements (learn what agi bufu and garu mean ;)) but nothing major narratively.

Start with Persona 3 portable. Persona 4 next, although that's not out on Vita for a while.

One and two (and part two of two!) are old school dungeon crawlers, largely minus the social aspects of the recent sequels. They're interesting if dated in many respects, and have a fairly punishing difficulty curve at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Started with Persona 1 for the PSP, got bogged down with it and went on to P3P, which might be my favourite game ever. Then went back and finished the first one, which I actually really enjoyed. Started Persona 2:Innocent Sin but getting bogged down in that now too. Might wait for P4:The Golden and then go back to it, seemed to work the first time!

Thank god (Atlus) they're all coming out on handheld, I don't have the time to sink 60-80 hours on a home console game these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I went straight into playing persona 4 myself and found it ok. Its tough getting into initially since I really hadn't played a persona (or many JRPG's) prior to playing it. I read reviews on the earlier persona games (innocent sin and eternal punishment) on psp and to be honest they didn't sounds appealing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The only cautionary note Id raise about beginning on Persona 4 are the gameplay refinements between it and P3. They're both astounding, but P3 had a few gameplay oddities they improved in the fourth (and i think P3P). I can imagine they'd be slightly annoying after persona 4. But it would be a shame if you missed the third, because it's still fantastic stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Definitely start with Persona 3. It's a stupidly good game. The reason to start with P3 and not P4 is that P4 makes so many improvements that going back to P3 can be hard going for some people and it would be a shame to miss out on such an amazing game.

Persona 1 and 2 are both excellent titles but you really have to know what you are getting yourself in for before you start. P3 and P4 are the more casual friendly games in the Shin Megami Tensei series so are much easier and accessible than the rest of the series. They're still realy challenging.

P1 and P2 follow the Shin Megami Tensei formula of being hardcore dungeon crawlers. They might be two of the best examples of dungeon crawlers around but they are very different RPGs to the usual japanese RPGS and play closer to stuff like Might and Magic or Wizardry, old school western RPGs in other words. If you like those types of games then go for it. I've only recently developed a taste of dungeon crawlers so it might not be for you or you might not be used to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Retro says it right.

With regards to the gameplay improvements of P4 over P3: the PSP port of P3 has a battle system closer to P4, in that you have full control over your team, rather than just the main character. I haven't played P4 yet so don't know any more than that. Just thought it was worth noting considering it's the PSP/Vita ports you're looking at.

The problem I found with one is that it isn't entirely suitable for portable play. Would probably work better on home consoles. They seemed to have wisely changed P3P to make it more bus friendly.

I'm playing the wonderful SMT Strange Journey at the moment. Does the same thing as Persona 1 and 2, albeit in a sci-fi setting, but benefits hugely from a DScentric design. Flows really well, and just has that edge over the portable Persona ports for me.

Persona 3 and 4, though, were games I needed to gorge on for hours at a time in the comfort of home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I couldn't imagine playing P4 on the go. Some of the dialogue-only sections go on for over an hour! They auto-continue too. They'll have to put in a pause/save feature for the Vita version.

Even when I play on handhelds it tends to be at home, but I never find myself able to sit in front of the tv and play for more than an hour at a time. I'm regularly on the dart for an hour or so, a few times a week, so being able to keep a game like P3P or even Persona 1 rolling isn't a problem. On a related note I'm working through Devil Survivor 1 at the moment, and as far as games go nothing is more frustrating than spending an entire Dart journey on one battle, only to be killed and have wait until the return journey to start again :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

ghostchant wrote: »
    Even when I play on handhelds it tends to be at home, but I never find myself able to sit in front of the tv and play for more than an hour at a time. I'm regularly on the dart for an hour or so, a few times a week, so being able to keep a game like P3P or even Persona 1 rolling isn't a problem. On a related note I'm working through Devil Survivor 1 at the moment, and as far as games go nothing is more frustrating than spending an entire Dart journey on one battle, only to be killed and have wait until the return journey to start again :mad:
    I usually play handhelds in bed as like that I don't enjoy being restricted time wise playing on a commute.

There are some really tough battles in Devil Survivor even early on. Brilliant game though (even if it did steal a lot from The World Ends with You)

Advertisement