Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Like a log...

Options
  • 09-03-2012 10:07am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

Hmmm, this is interesting, never thought I'd have a reading log but here I am.

I am a late bloomer with regards to books, never had much interest as a child, was never read to at bed time etc. The most interaction I had with books was in school, and even then I was far too busy signing my name obsessively within their borders in a monotonous stupor to actually read the damn things. :p

But in the last few years my interest in books has grown gradually, usually in phases where I'd read a number of books within a short space of time and then not look at another book for months. In the last couple of weeks however I've been reacquainted with my long lost love that is Dublin Bus, so I now have ample time for reading and have taken advantage of it thus far, and hopefully this log will help me keep track of what I've read.

So far, in the last couple of weeks I've read...

Nothing to Envy - Barbara Demick
    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot
    A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson
    The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

And right now I'm reading Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Just finished Lolita, a very good book that certainly requires another read once I've learned French and acquired an English dictionary that at least equals the volume of Nobokov's vocabulary.

Next up...

7. Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

Well, after getting through half of Brave New World I decided to give up on it, due to it being utter shíte.

7. Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck

Wonderful.

ShowImage.aspx?ImageId=Crime-and-Punishment-Barnes-amp-Noble-Classics%7C51oXB82xx3L.jpg

Fairly intense novel focusing on the psyche of a murderer. Hard to believe it was written over 150 years ago. While in parts it was quite tedious, overall it was rather exceptional.

9780345418913.jpg

How good is this book? So good I read it in one sitting, can't wait to read the others.

0582418089.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

• Advertisement

9780345418920.jpg

I really struggled to finish this tbh, while Hitch-hiker's Guide had me in stitches at times, this really only brought out a chuckle or two. Disappointing, I'm not sure I'll carry on with the rest of the series.

dubliners_enriched_classics_frontcover_large_6Mgm65R2RebidBJ.jpg

Joyce is such a fantastic storyteller, you just feel immersed in every page. I feel bad for people who have read this without knowing the streets of Dublin.

salems-lot.jpg

Reading Joyce & Wilde et al is like listening to a symphony, reading Stephen King is like listening to Metallica.

stand%2B2011%2Banchor.jpg

Brilliant book, but bloody hell it's long.

1984.jpg

This didn't live up to my expectations tbh.

• Advertisement

118829571.JPG

I initially enjoyed this but as the book went on my enjoyment depreciated.

the_sun_also_rises.large.jpg

Not a fan of Hemingway's style of writing... I may give his short stories a go in future but will probably steer clear of the rest.

the-count-of-monte-cristo.jpg

There's only one word to describe this...... EPIC!!!

It's easily gone straight to the top of my all time favourite books list.

668880783_2e5210ce02.jpg

A very good book, but not a great book.

Kite+Runner+cover.jpg

A very good book imo.

the_wasp_factory_a_novel_frontcover_large_8KXHSv67aRXRrX2.jpg

Genuinely, one of the worst books I've had the displeasure of opening. I can't say that I finished it. I started, didn't like it and so moved on to another book, I came back to give this a second chance but I just couldn't bring myself to finish, which is saying a lot for a book that's less than 200 pages.

I don't say this because the book was too ''shocking'' or too ''graphic'', because frankly, it's not. It's just an awful book, full stop.

swansong.JPG

Really good book imo. Very similar to The Stand, although I'm not sure which I'd rate higher. They're both similar but yet completely different.

king1.jpg

I really did not like this at all, I tried to force myself to finish but I couldn't. Gave up even though the finishing line was in sight.

cloud_atlas_book_cover_01.jpg?w=890

Essentially the Pulp Fiction of the literary world. :p I like it.

Fun factoid, DM lives in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭pavb2

I enjoyed Cloud Atlas the pieces stand on their own as good short stories particularly liked the old people's home story not too keen on the futuristic one. Still not completely sure how they all linked together but a decent read.

• Advertisement

pavb2 wrote: »
    I enjoyed Cloud Atlas the pieces stand on their own as good short stories particularly liked the old people's home story not too keen on the futuristic one. Still not completely sure how they all linked together but a decent read.
    Yeah I enjoyed the Cavendish story too, it was very funny at parts!

All the main characters were supposed to be
    reincarnations of the same soul, hence the birthmark.

a-fine-balance.jpg

A superbly written book, an incredibly depressing book and at times an extremely far-fetched book.

olcovers690-L.zip&file=6900051-L.jpg

Really enjoyable read, I'll definitely be reading #2 of the trilogy!

1024524-world_war_z_book_cover_super1.jpg

Really enjoyable read and an interesting take on the whole zombie genre. Will be interesting to see how it's adapted to the big screen.

tokillamockingbird.jpg

Fantastic!

rogerackroyd1.jpg

Well, I must say that I genuinely did enjoy this book. However, quite early on I was pretty sure I knew the answer to the question "who done it". But seeing as this is supposedly one of the greatest "who done its" ever written, I carried on reading to the end, where I was sure to be greeted with a twist I wasn't expecting and to be left dumbfounded.

The twist never came, I was right all along, which resulted in a rather anti-climactic end. :(

I realise that at the time the book was written, the ending was rather unprecedented, which I take into account when rating the book.

shantaram.jpg

I would class this as an amazing book if it wasn't for the overly zealous philosophizing and verbosity. It could have been so much better imo.

The-Godfather.jpg

Unputdownable.

11553.jpg

Meh, it was alright.

• Advertisement

51WNRfBO38L.jpg

Another unputdownable, riveting yet tragic.

Advertisement