Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CME impact 3 hours ago: Aurora possibly in progress right now

Options
  • 09-03-2012 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

The CME that has featured in the news over the past 24 hours hit our atmosphere around 3 hours ago. UK-based monitoring equipment have registered a surge in flux this far away from the north magnetic pole, meaning that an aurora is possible in action over our heads right now:

http://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/

However, we will have to wait till (if) skies clear and it gets dark this evening to see anything.

Keep looking up!

Seanie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Forecasts are for cloudy skies tonight over most of Ireland just as Aurora watch send me a red alert :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭torrentum

Dont worry - its clear here and theres nothing going on. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Latest model @ 1:17 UTC

Ovation_USA.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭ROFLcopter

Discodog wrote: »
    Forecasts are for cloudy skies tonight over most of Ireland just as Aurora watch send me a red alert :(

EVERY feckin' time there's something to see in the sky the stupid clouds roll in.........FECK IT ANYWAY arrrggghhh!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

ROFLcopter wrote: »
    EVERY feckin' time there's something to see in the sky the stupid clouds roll in.........FECK IT ANYWAY arrrggghhh!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

I was feeling the same way the last couple of days but anyone I've checked with are telling me that there has been nothing to see from Ireland. when it was visible a couple of weeks though mister mist descended on where I live. was lucky to see a street light that night...or not!

• Advertisement
Advertisement