Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everton Away

Options
  • 09-03-2012 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭

Massive Game, what more can I say.
    Lose and the rest are up our holes, win and it will give us the boost we need to kick on and finish 3rd.

COYS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Really tough game to be honest. Everton have been doing well recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I haven't been looking forward to this game. We rarely get a win here, and we'll really miss Lennon's pace. Having said that, they're without Saha and Pienaar (on loan) who has played well for them this season.

We badly need a win, just something to get us out of this slump as another loss and I think we'll really struggle to finish 3rd as all of the momentum will be gone. A series of awful performances over the past few weeks haven't left me brimming with confidence but hopefully we can kick on and get the 3 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

If ever we needed a bit of luck this is it. If we can hold them off at the back then there is every chance Defoe could nick a goal or two.

If we come away with 3 points we approach the chelsea game with a degree of confidence. Anything else and we are really up against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Our form is attrocious for the last month (and longer in terms of actual form & not just results) I would be very (pleasantly) surprised if we get anything.

Oh and after scoring 2 mid-week, for me Defoe has to start ahead of Saha.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

i think we have to go with

friedal

walker ----kaboul ----king
    benny

niko
    parker----luca
    bale

vdv

adebayour

we could also put vdv on the right wing and play defoe up front

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I’d have Ade on the bench, it’s ludicrous not to start Defoe. Ade must have started every league game since he’s came, his form has been hit and miss. Maybe he’d make a greater impact coming off the bench? He needs to be stronger in the air and not go down so easily.

Baines is dangerous and Coleman has had one or two exceptional games against us. Could go either way, if we fall asleep at set pieces then were focked. There a noisy bunch, so keeping the crowd quite could play a major part towards a win.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    I’d have Ade on the bench, it’s ludicrous not to start Defoe. Ade must have started every league game since he’s came, his form has been hit and miss. Maybe he’d make a greater impact coming off the bench? He needs to be stronger in the air and not go down so easily.

Baines is dangerous and Coleman has had one or two exceptional games against us. Could go either way, if we fall asleep at set pieces then were focked. There a noisy bunch, so keeping the crowd quite could play a major part towards a win.

25 apps this season, 11 goals and 11 assists from Adebayor. That's pretty good for someone hit and miss.

Defoe does deserve to be back in the team though. I would sit Saha on the bench for this one. If he's allowed play, which I'm sure he is but just read someone say Moyes and Redknapp have an agreement that he wont. Probably nonsense.

Saha isn't eligible.

Saha isn't eligible.

Not one source is saying this. He moved permanently. Not on loan. Spurs official website has him in the squad, evertons official website has him in the squad.

Have you got a reliable source?

• Advertisement

I presumed it was a swap for peanut? Never knew we actually signed him? My bad.

I presumed it was a swap for peanut? Never knew we actually signed him? My bad.

Nah was a permanent deal mate.

http://tottenhamhotspur.com/spurs/News/team-news-090312.page?

I still wouldnt start him ahead of defoe!

I’m probably shooting myself in the foot here, but I never really look at stats. I really like Ade, I was desperate for him to come to the club.

Defoe is itching to play and is in fine goal scoring form. His two goals the other night were spectacular, against poor opposition as it may be, there not the sort of goals I can see Ade scoring.

Didn’t look like anyone else was going to pop up with win a winner the other night to me?

I'd start defoe and ade together with vdv playing in his right side role but isn't really right side role!

But dont like walker being exposed though. One thing lennon is very good at is protecting his full back. Need another lennon who doesnt get injured as much. Putting kranjcar right mid wont solve that problem either. The guy hasnt a notion of how to track back.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

irishmover wrote: »
    I'd start defoe and ade together with vdv playing in his right side role but isn't really right side role!

But dont like walker being exposed though. One thing lennon is very good at is protecting his full back. Need another lennon who doesnt get injured as much. Putting kranjcar right mid wont solve that problem either. The guy hasnt a notion of how to track back.

That's a very attacking 442 away from home again though. After Arsenal, I can't see us going down that route again. Defoe plays off the last defender and rarely tracks back and Ade is similar, but does pop up in the midfield from time to time. I can't see us playing that way as it would leave us very exposed in the middle.

True. Sandro, Parker, Bale, Modric, Vdv in midfield with most likely Adebayor up front. Although I would play Defoe over Adebayor aswell for this game considering he's itching to perform. I agree with sugarlumps, if anyone would score against Everton it would be Defoe with how he looks at the moment.

But HR will probably pick Adebayor.

We can be almost certain that they will be play 5 in the middle, so whoever wins the midfield battle will win the match. It's probably going to be a scrappy match, with nobody getting much space, and to be honest I see it being won through a set play. Let's just hope we defend better than we did against Stevenage!!

SuprSi wrote: »
    We can be almost certain that they will be play 5 in the middle, so whoever wins the midfield battle will win the match. It's probably going to be a scrappy match, with nobody getting much space, and to be honest I see it being won through a set play. Let's just hope we defend better than we did against Stevenage!!

So you're predicting an Everton win? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Ade will start but Defoe to come on early enough in 2nd half and either rescue a point or snatch a win depending on the score when he gets on.

You heard it here first.:D

So you're predicting an Everton win? :)

Heh well I'm not confident, though we've had plenty of draws up there and although I'd be disappointed not to win the game (purely because we badly need a win, not because it's Everton) a draw wouldn't be too bad.

• Advertisement

SuprSi wrote: »
    Heh well I'm not confident, though we've had plenty of draws up there and although I'd be disappointed not to win the game (purely because we badly need a win, not because it's Everton) a draw wouldn't be too bad.

What I meant was, we dont score many goals from set pieces!

Yeah you're right. I don't know how big the Everton team are and whether they'll pose much of a threat either, but I'm sure we'll have a few scares.

Tim Cahill :(

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/03/09/2956488/moyes-redknapp-agreed-not-to-play-saha-against-everton?

http://www.toffeeweb.com/season/11-12/news/20673.html?
    Moyes

“I think I have an agreement with Harry that he doesn't play,” the Scot told reporters on Friday.

“But if he plays it is not a problem. Harry told me if he is short of players he will play but if he is not he might not use him.”

That's a very gentlemanly agreement they have in place! Very rare to see something so lax in a case like this. Imagine if he scored the winning goal?

The second line is ridiculous though! In one wind Moyes says they have an agreement in the other wind he says well harry said he might have to select him, which I dont mind.

It all seems rather silly to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Tim Cahill :(

Cahill not as dangerous as he once was, he does not score many anymore. I am going for 1-3 in a hard fought win. COYS!

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Cahill not as dangerous as he once was, he does not score many anymore. I am going for 1-3 in a hard fought win. COYS!

This is very true, but none of Everton's players has really been on fire in front of goal.

Anichebe - 4
    Drenthe - 4
    Baines - 4
    Vellios - 3
    Stacqualursi - 3

Also Everton are unbeaten in the EPL since the 11th of January when they lost away to us. Beating Man City and Chelsea since then. I hope we do win but I just dont see it happening with their form and ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

If we win this game the faith will be restored,we have a fairly decent record against Everton so I think we get back to winning ways hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

We need the win, any other result and I'm truly worried about 3rd.

Advertisement