Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrolytes, Diet, Muscle mobility

Options
  • 09-03-2012 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭

Just been having a look through the forum as I'm looking for some post workout electrolyte or suggestions on electrolytes. Have seen RAM mentioned but its high in cals.

Bascically just looking for the electrolytes, no cals, protein or caffeine as I'm trying to stick to real foods as much as possible. Diet is fairly good, no sugars, grains, alcohol or dairy (primal about 90%+) and drinking about 2-3l water per day.

I've dropped from 119kg to 99kg since Jan 2011 and am aiming for 95kg. Weight loss has slowed and I'm about 6'4" and muscle is going on. Getting stronger and faster and clothes getting looser. I'm doing cross fit (Just try and ignore that) scaled 3 times a week since Jan, just tested 1RM and results are OK for first test so happy with that. BTW the stretching and what I've learned since Jan has been fascinating and has helped a lot but I'm 39 so age is against me and I want to get this right.

However I've been struggling a bit with muscle hydration and mobility. This has been lingering since Nov when I was just working on my own and doing starting strenght program so decided last week to get some professional input on it. I had a pain in my shoulder only on tennis serve, it seems to be nothing to with the shoulder per se but pecs, lats. deltoid and all muscles surrounding shoulder being tight.

Physio reckons I might be low on electrolytes and muscles are getting fibrous and tight, doing pre and post stretches (This is going to have to be improved to a daily routine - mobilitywod sessions daily from now on).

I take multi vit and Omega in the morning and at night but just wondering if I need more salts and such. Physio suggested adding some electrolytes as it would aid the retention of the water and reduce it flushing straight through, hence giving it more time to be absorbed. I gabbed some Dioralyte in the short term and have been taking a small amount each day (1/4 sachet) but am looking for a suggestion of something better. Have seen some on myprotein and wonder if anyone has any comments. For ref I am taking those below.
    Multi Vit - http://www.myprotein.com/ie/products/alpha-men
    Omega - http://www.myprotein.com/ie/products/omega-3-6-9

Food breakdown since christmas by % calorie intake, Avg Calorie intake is 1850 cals per day as I'm trying to reduce bodyfat. This is primarily coming from real food with fats coming from nuts and meat, carbs - veg, then meat, chicken fish eggs.
    20% Carbs
    46% Fats
    34% Protein

So, as I'm far from an expert I thought I'd get some feedback from those with more experience than me, so fire away with any suggestions / comments based on the above info in getting the muscle more lubed for want of a better expression.

Thanks for reading and sorry its so long.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭dragonkin

I've just bought a 12 pack of coconut water from cleanware.ie. Coconut water has a lot of electrolytes. Maybe you could also add a pinch of salt to water when you are drinking it.

EDIT - I find a few rashers in the morning gives me plenty of salt and I tend to hydrate well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Actually I have a question. Assuming you are getting enough sodium and potassium in your diet, is having them in whatever you are drinking actually matter?

Actually I have a question. Assuming you are getting enough sodium and potassium in your diet, is having them in whatever you are drinking actually matter?

As far as I know if you're getting them from your diet that's fine. Only issue is that when people eat healthily they tend to cut out salt all together and therefore they don't get enough as the major sources of salts tend to be processed foods. When doing intensive exercise we lose a lot however so it makes sense to replenish them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

dragonkin wrote: »
    Only issue is that when people eat healthily they tend to cut out salt all together and therefore they don't get enough as the major sources of salts tend to be processed foods.
    LOL. I actually had this problem a few years when there were these ads running telling people to use less salt, and I basically ended up cutting it out of my diet almost completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

You can buy zero calorie electrolyte tablets in any running/cycling shop. Popular brands are Nuun, High 5 etc. You just pop them in your water and they dissolve, come in different flavours and don't taste bad.

Normal price would be about €8 for a tube of 20 tabs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Personally I drink a lot of water and I seem to be ok hydration wise. I really notice it if I don't drink at least 4 or 5 litres a day though!

Creatine and L-Taurine aid in muscle hydration also, so maybe taking a preworkout creatine supplement or creatine in general might help.

Optimum Nutrition Amino Energy or CGT (Creatine, Glutamine, Taurine) are good as is BSN Cell Mass. There's loads of alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭traco

dragonkin wrote: »
    I've just bought a 12 pack of coconut water from cleanware.ie. Coconut water has a lot of electrolytes. Maybe you could also add a pinch of salt to water when you are drinking it.

EDIT - I find a few rashers in the morning gives me plenty of salt and I tend to hydrate well!

Thanks for that link, I was looking around for some coconut water and will order some as its loaded with potassium I think.
    menoscemo wrote: »
    You can buy zero calorie electrolyte tablets in any running/cycling shop. Popular brands are Nuun, High 5 etc. You just pop them in your water and they dissolve, come in different flavours and don't taste bad.

Normal price would be about €8 for a tube of 20 tabs.

Any suggestions for a shop North side or is town the best option to pick up one.

Thanks for feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

traco wrote: »

Any suggestions for a shop North side or is town the best option to pick up one.

Thanks for feedback.

Runways/ Cycleways on Parnell St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

diarolyte...or however you spell it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

Carrageen moss, it's nearly tasteless and has lots of minerals, just an idea.

• Advertisement

Carrageen moss, it's nearly tasteless and has lots of minerals, just an idea.

very interesting it seems to be pretty good to me!

Irish Moss per 100g
    Sodium - 67mg
    Potassium - 63mg
    Magnesium - 144mg
    Calcium - 72mg

Coconut water per 100g
    Sodium - 105mg
    Potassium - 250mg
    Magnesium - 25mg
    Calcium - 24mg

Advertisement