Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone & internet problems on Northside again?

• 09-03-2012 12:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭

Anyone having phone and/or internet problems today?
    I'm on the Northside. I had no phone service for a short time yesterday and today my internet is really slow.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭banie01

tippman1 wrote: »
    Anyone having phone and/or internet problems today?
    I'm on the Northside. I had no phone service for a short time yesterday and today my internet is really slow.

DSL or Cable?
    I'm on UPC and I've had no probs.
    A bit more info regarding your provider/exchange would help in identifying the issue.
    Have you checked your Router WebIF to see if there has been any change in your sync speed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I'm on DSL from the Caherdavin exchange. Provider is UTVinternet.
    Have you checked your Router WebIF to see if there has been any change in your sync speed?

My technical expertise doesn't permit me to check my router WebIF or my synch speed.

I'm on DSL from the Caherdavin exchange. Provider is UTVinternet.

My technical expertise doesn't permit me to check my router WebIF or my synch speed.

Its just a matter of inputting your routers ip into your browser.
    its usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 or a variation of same, I know with Thomson Routers its usually 192.168.0.1.
    It can also be reached on a windows machine by clicking windows>computer>network>modem (Modem will usually show under 'network infrastructure')
    This will take you to your routers homepage where you can see your sync speed and line attenuation.
    It will go a long way towards ruling out a line fault.

After a frustrating afternoon, internet is back running normally since about 7.45 pm this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭Txatxu Urki

Im on UPC Fibre connection in the Caherdavin area and it has been troublesome during the day, seems to be better now post 8pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

banie01 wrote: »
    Its just a matter of inputting your routers ip into your browser.
    its usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 or a variation of same, I know with Thomson Routers its usually 192.168.0.1.
    It can also be reached on a windows machine by clicking windows>computer>network>modem (Modem will usually show under 'network infrastructure')
    This will take you to your routers homepage where you can see your sync speed and line attenuation.
    It will go a long way towards ruling out a line fault.

Thomson Reuters?

Thomson Reuters?

I like what ya did there :D

After a frustrating afternoon, internet is back running normally since about 7.45 pm this evening.

Glad to hear it :)
    But without knowing your sync speeds and Line SNR/Attenuation rates you are going to find it very frustrating trying to rootcause any further slowdowns on your connection.
    It could be a line fault playing up intermittently, or it could be contention ratio.
    If you manage to get to your router page when the router is running well, take a note of those figures and it will give a decent baseline for starting fault finding in the future.

quote from banie01

Glad to hear it
    But without knowing your sync speeds and Line SNR/Attenuation rates you are going to find it very frustrating trying to rootcause any further slowdowns on your connection.
    It could be a line fault playing up intermittently, or it could be contention ratio.
    If you manage to get to your router page when the router is running well, take a note of those figures and it will give a decent baseline for starting fault finding in the future.

banie01, here are the values I got. I asterisked some of the ip no's just in case. Running fine today so presumably the figures are ok? Thanks for the diagnostic lesson.... :)

John.

ADSL Internet Settings
    Type WAN IP 194.**.***.***
    Status No Defect Default Gateway 194.**.**.**

Downstream Upstream
    Primary DNS Server 194.**.***.***
    Data rate (Kbps)
    10238 990
    Secondary DNS Server 194.**.***.***
    Noise margin (dB)
    14.1 6.3

Output power (dBm)
    0.0 11.8

Attenuation (dB)
    31.5 8.4

banie01, here are the values I got. I asterisked some of the ip no's just in case. Running fine today so presumably the figures are ok? Thanks for the diagnostic lesson.... :)

John.

Noise margin (dB)
    14.1 6.3

Output power (dBm)
    0.0 11.8

Attenuation (dB)
    31.5 8.4

Those figures are actually fairly good and should allow a stable connection at upto 16mb if your ISP can handle it ;)

Keep those handy and next time you have slow down issues log into your router and restart it.
    Then check to see if there is any variance in the numbers when the router resyncs.
    It will give you a good starting point for getting your ISP to sort any issue at their end.
    But with those figures I think your only real connection issues will be either ISP throttling or high contention ratios(I don't know if UTV do contention free).

Edit: Just to add be sure the modem is connected directly to the incoming line rather than via a splitter if you can.
    It should further improve the SNR/Attenuation

• Advertisement
Advertisement