Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waste Collection options ? Celbridge

Options
  • 09-03-2012 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭

Im currently with OZO - was paying €295 per (€24.50 per month) but just received this years Invoice and they put it up to €320 per year.

This would seem to make them the most expensive Waste Collection service in Celbridge.

The only other operators I can see are :
    • AES are currently offering new customers 6 mtns for €134 (€268 per year)
    • Thornton are offering a Flat Rate of €285 per year.

.. is that it ? Have I missed any other options ?

By the way, not interested in anything that involves having to buy tags.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Hi Ray,

We're in Oldtown Mill and we're with oxigen.
    Roughly €18 a month we pay it every 3 months = €55 a payment.
    There's different payment options e.g all upfront and it's a sticker they send out to stick on the bin with your expiry date on it, similar to thorntons.
    Two bins collected every 2nd Monday at about 7am.
    we're still in our first year though so getting an introductory price.
    I might have to change to OZO next year:).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

your getting robbed by ozo

i'm paying 18.33 a month to them

large blue bin, large orange bin (recycling) small brown bin (compost)

weekly collecting of blue bin, others fortnightly

i'm in celbridge too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

daheff wrote: »
    your getting robbed by ozo

i'm paying 18.33 a month to them

large blue bin, large orange bin (recycling) small brown bin (compost)

weekly collecting of blue bin, others fortnightly

i'm in celbridge too

:eek: Woah - you serious ? Are your bins 240L ? Can I ask how long have you been with them ? Are you on an introductory offer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Buffman

I'm with thorntons pay per lift. No tags or anything like that, you get a card which you can top up at any Payzone, or online where you get a 5% discount.

http://www.thorntons-recycling.ie/domestic-kildare-sign-up

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I'm also on pay per lift with Thorntons and it works out about €120 per year. You pay €50 standing charge and around €7 per lift. Payments are online and you must keep your account in credit. I don't use a brown bin as I have my own compost bin and only put out the black bin every month.

I hear in Dublin that some operators are charging per weight ( Ryan Air style ) on each lift and someone I know was charged €35 for their last bin lift, I hope they don't start this around these parts.

• Advertisement

Thorntons €50 upfront and €7.50 per lift is looking like the best option.

Shame on me ... I never got around to changing provider (yet !!) ... I notice now that my Ozo direct debit this month is now a whopping €32.73 ... Ive emailed them twice , no response .. rang their office today - Accounts Dept only open Mon-Fri ... they never explained their increase from 295 (2011) to 320 (2012) .. now the seem to have increased by another 8% !!!

... anybody else having trouble with these ? Going to cancel on Mon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

I was an OZO customer in 2011 - Charged €175 for the year.
    OZO in 2012 jacked up the price to €220.

We switched to Thorntons for 2012 - €50 standing charge and €7.40 per black bin lift + €3.50 brown bin. MUCH better value.

Always felt when dealing with OZO that they were a bit of a joke, never answering the phone, bad customer service, I'm glad I moved. I get the impression that they have around 3 people working in their office and they couldn't cope:rolleyes:

One disadvantage with AES is they collect between 5am and 6am in Celbridge and are sure to wake people up as the trucks groan and whine and they bang the bins around the place just in case the truck doesn't wake you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Joe Public wrote: »
    One disadvantage with AES is they collect between 5am and 6am in Celbridge

They don't arrive in my part of Castletown until much later.

• Advertisement

Beruthiel wrote: »
    They don't arrive in my part of Castletown until much later.

Good to know, I'll suggest to them that they start at the East side of Celbridge for the next year or three rather than the west side:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,886 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are AES just wilfully incompetent in Maynooth or does it apply to Celbridge too?

If its just Maynooth, go ahead; if not I'd avoid...

(4 months after changing and rather than the correct 4 bins I should have, I have 5 bins consisting of 3 types in different sizes. They also miss collections due to bins being the wrong colour...)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Good to know, I'll suggest to them that they start at the East side of Celbridge for the next year or three rather than the west side:)

You trapped me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

RayCon wrote: »
    Shame on me ... I never got around to changing provider (yet !!) ... I notice now that my Ozo direct debit this month is now a whopping €32.73 ... Ive emailed them twice , no response .. rang their office today - Accounts Dept only open Mon-Fri ... they never explained their increase from 295 (2011) to 320 (2012) .. now the seem to have increased by another 8% !!!

... anybody else having trouble with these ? Going to cancel on Mon
    Just got talking to Ozo today. they are a complete joke of a company.

Firstly, my estate had an introductory deal. It was abt 230 a year for 52 Blue bin lifts (any reasonable person would think 52 lifts = 1 a week??)

Well, my blue bin wasnt picked up this week so I rang to find out and to get prices for next year. I'm gobsmacked at the response (and rudeness) i received.

1- they apparently sent a letter to inform customers that they would only pick up every 2nd week (i never got the letter). Even though the contract is for 52 lifts, their (new) interpretation is that they would give me ANOTHER blue bin. 2 blue bins 26 weeks =52 lifts. Well yes and no. Up to now its been 1 a week. Any reasonable person would expect a 52 lift contract to mean 1 lift a week. Another point is the contract states 1 blue bin...not 2!

So they now expect me to have 2 blue bins, an Orange bin and a brown bin hanging around outside my house. Ridiculous.

2- next years cost is a whopping 440 Eur !!! Outrageously expensive.

And to top it all off...everytime i tried to say anything i had the ozo person talk over me.

I wont be doing business with them again.

Did anyone else in Celbridge not have their AES bin collected on Saturday in lieu of the B/H Monday ( normally collected on Mondays )?

From talking to a couple of neighbours it looks like they didn't come to my area anyway.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

One disadvantage with AES is they collect between 5am and 6am in Celbridge and are sure to wake people up as the trucks groan and whine and they bang the bins around the place just in case the truck doesn't wake you.

I hate AES. Every Monday morning at 5am they wake me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

I know this is an old thread but rather than start a new one,it may be applicable.

We have been with Thorntons for years and were very happy. Today I got an email giving their revised "pay per lift" charges from July 01 and it is a huge increase in cost.

For starters their service charge has gone to €104 pa instead of €50.
    A 40 kg black waste bin goes from €9.90 per lift to €14 with the new pricing.

The brown compost bin is even worse. A 40kg brown bin goes from €4.90 per lift to €8.

I know we are throwing out too much but we have 2 green bins for recycling as we recycle so much.

Overall I estimate an increase of about 70%. Particularly galling is the doubling of the service charge, regardless of how much waste you have.

Has anyone else got revised pricing - Thornton's website seems to be the only one I can find with revised pricing.

Have you checked that your bins are actually that weight? The weights will be recorded in your account online. My black bin has never been close to 40KG and the heaviest, rammed to the top, brown was 29. Average weight of both is a fraction.

L1011 wrote: »
    Have you checked that your bins are actually that weight? The weights will be recorded in your account online. My black bin has never been close to 40KG and the heaviest, rammed to the top, brown was 29. Average weight of both is a fraction.
    Yeah - I checked it online and did a quick spreadsheet (we don't put the bins out each collection, probably why they can be so heavy). Pay by weight should be cheaper if you don't have heavy bins, but the sneaky service charge will put an end to that.
    I estimated that an average 25kg bin will see an increase of 30%.

I rang Thornton's to make sure I wasn't completely reading it wrong, but the girl I spoke to just kept apologising and saying it was happening.
    They are charging 35c per kilo for general waste and 20c per kilo for compost, 3 times what the recommendations were.

• Advertisement

Those were minimums not recommendations - and assumed recycling charges. The other figures I've seen for Dublin are similar

Those were minimums not recommendations - and assumed recycling charges. The other figures I've seen for Dublin are similar
    Any idea of service charges?

Greyhound were about a third dearer, can't find citybins

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lastblackdog

We have been using Mahons (now Panda) since we moved to Maynooth just over two years ago. It was what was here when we bought the house and, having just returned to Ireland and having to pay for bin collection (outside of council taxes) we decided to give it a while for us to gauge our usage before changing.

Up to now the prices from Panda (Tags and not an account) were: €12.00 for domestic waste and €4.00 for recycling.

Received a letter from them saying that they are changing from paper tags to an electronic tag on the bin itself. I have two options on how I pay a) prepay on-line at the same prices or b) give my credit card details and the fee will be deducted. The prices for direct debit are €11.20 for domestic waste and €3.80 for recycling. No mention as yet of a variable for weight.

This service has the advantage of not having an annual fee on top. We try to keep our waste disposal down (only two of us) and almost never need to put either bin out more than once per month and sometimes only every six weeks. My estimate is that we have spent less than €200 per year so far.

We don't have a garden was bin so this goes in the domestic bin. Without garden waste we might make it only every two months.

I don't know how legally they're able to keep a static charge as there is now a legal minimum per kg. I would check the fine print to see if its possibly that price "up to X kg".

Legally every operator has to offer brown bins now, although there'll be a charge for that too obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lastblackdog

I don't know how legally they're able to keep a static charge as there is now a legal minimum per kg. I would check the fine print to see if its possibly that price "up to X kg".

Legally every operator has to offer brown bins now, although there'll be a charge for that too obviously.

Good point. I thought that I heard something about the lift by weight was delayed - or did I misunderstand the point?

Good point. I thought that I heard something about the lift by weight was delayed - or did I misunderstand the point?

It was delayed for a year from June 2015 - so its coming in now.

The other change was the original regulations had a minimum price per kg for green/recycling bins, however this is now gone; this was the more recent news.

From what I can see on the Consumer forums here the people who are going to be hit very heavily are parents with kids in nappies, snd people with medical needs for incontinence products, catheters etc. Most people otherwise will probably be paying a bit more. I'm coming out quite a lot lower but I sort everything and keep glass/textiles/batteries/electric products/anything else that can be dumped for free away for recycling centre visits also. Could cut it further if I home composted though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I'm in Newbridge and use Thornton's also. Based on my last yearly cycle, it cost me €144.70, and I have absolutely no complaints with them.

However yesterday I got an email from them informing me of their new charges commencing July 1. Based on the info on my online accout lifting history, that €144.70 will be €232.25. And they state they want to encourage us to recyle and compose more??

I did my sums for 2015 with Thorntons, €180 for pay per lift V €245 pay by weight. The overall price for lifts came within €5 on each system, it's the massive increase in the service charge which pushed it up for me. I guess I must be one of the unlucky few in the 4.5% that former minister Kelly said would be paying more.
    Analysis using EPA and CSO data will show that 87% of households will see a reduction in their waste bills, 8.5% will see no change and a small number of households may see a higher bill
    I'm not sure I have 100% faith in their weights, a number of my compost lifts are exactly 24.6233kg, which is suspicious and looks to me like some sort of default value they use. And one compost lift from this year was supposedly over 100kg:eek:! I think the wheels would fall off the little 140L bin if I ever got that much into it!

A quick question for people here before I call them on Tuesday, my €50 'Service period' is until September 2016 and I'm assuming they'll have to stand over that as it's already paid for. Does anybody know if that's the case, or will they refund/credit the unused months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Hi Buffman

You asked about their service charge? The following I have extracted from the said email I recieved from them on Friday:

How do these changes affect me?

Pay As You Go customers:

From the 1st of July 2016 any unused portion of your previously paid annual service charge will be credited back to your Thorntons' account. This credit can be then carried forward to be used against any future bin lifts which will now be charged on a per kilo basis.

From 1st of July 2016 a weekly charge of €2.00 will be charged to your Thorntons' account, in addition to the per weight charge.

Yes, You are right about the 'service charge' being a BIG part of the increase ( I don't put my bins out every week & have a serious grievance with Thornton's over this over 100% increase ), but doing my calculations I also find those who use their brown bin are also being seriously punished for doing so. Personally, I wouldn't doubt the 100kg weight of the bin, as I had 2 lifts around the 90kg mark. One was for 90.5 kgs, and for the 'privelidge' of lift said bin, my charge has increased from €4.90 to a WHOPPING €18.10. I would also query this 24.6233 kg reading - I have looked back over my lifting history, and in my case, they only register ONE decimal point, IE, either 26kg, 26'5kg or 27kg.

Also in their email, Thornton's state the following:

To encourage your household to embrace the recycling initiative we have kept our service charge as low as possible and we have decided not to apply a charge to the recycling bin at this time.

I take serious umbrage with this statement as it was the government who decided to not charge for the green bin, NOTHING to do with Thornton's. I have also heard whispers ( ONLY whispers mind ) that there is a charge built into what they are charging for each lift of both the grey & brown bin to compensate for not charging for the green bin. Impossible to prove of course, but when AK47 is involved, ANYTHING was/is possible.

Advertisement