Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waste Collection options ? Celbridge

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Buffman

The Goverment clarified the situation today, from July fixed price contracts will be phased out, you'll have to be either pay per lift or pay by weight.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0627/886009-waste-charges/
    A ban on fixed-price waste collection is being introduced by the Government to encourage recycling and reduce the amount of rubbish.
    However, the Opposition has said there are fears it will mean higher bills for households.
    Minister for the Environment Denis Naughten has announced the new scheme, to replace the controversial plan for a pay-by-weight system shelved by the Government last year.
    Mr Naughten said he decided not to introduce a "compulsory one-size-fits-all per kilogramme charging system".
    From now on, waste companies will still be allowed to apply standing charges, but they will also have to contain a usage element such as pay-by-weight or pay per lift.
    The change is believed to affect up to 600,000 customers, mainly in the Dublin area, who pay a fixed monthly fee, sometimes around €17 a month, for all waste collection.
    All new customers and those renewing their contracts after 1 July will have to take up the new system.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

AES announced there will be no changes to their current service, I don't know if that only applies to existing customers or all.

I wonder what the rest are planning or not planning and if pay by weight then what are the charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Coopaloop wrote: »
    Not sure if this will help you but greyhound were calling door to door a while back, still are doing the rounds in celbridge to get new business, they were offering all 3 bins for 13euro a month (no other charges) for 12 month contract. Now I haven't heard great things about them and reviews I read online were not good so I rang Thorntons and told them what they offered and they matched it straight away, no questions asked, no messing about.
    Told a few friends and same thing with them.
    Worth a shot.

It's 15.50 in Leixlip so unlikey it was 13 euro in Celbridge. I signed up. Very happy with the service. If you got Thorntons to do it for 13 though, you're onto a winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Buffman wrote: »
    The Goverment clarified the situation today, from July fixed price contracts will be phased out, you'll have to be either pay per lift or pay by weight.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0627/886009-waste-charges/

Already they are shifting the goal posts - July 1 has been pushed back to September 1 ( heard it on RTE radio 1 this evening).

Can see this becoming another Irish Water fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Buffman

Already they are shifting the goal posts - July 1 has been pushed back to September 1 ( heard it on RTE radio 1 this evening).

Can see this becoming another Irish Water fiasco.

Yep, seems even that September date isn't written in stone. The whole situation appears very much to be 'make it up as you go along' at this stage.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/0629/886537-waste-charges/
    However, the minister’s spokesperson said this afternoon that the department first has to prepare a circular over the next couple of weeks setting out the policy change.
    Then the National Waste Collection Permit Office, the NWCPO, will review the new policy before writing to the waste companies.
    Time will also be given to these companies to change their administrative systems and to notify customers.
    "This process would probably fall into September. It is at this point that the regulatory flat-rate phase-out on expiring contract or new contracts would take effect," the spokesperson said.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

n97 mini wrote: »
    It's 15.50 in Leixlip so unlikey it was 13 euro in Celbridge. I signed up. Very happy with the service. If you got Thorntons to do it for 13 though, you're onto a winner![/quote

Yup, €13 for the 3 bins. Greyhound were offering that price to push Thorntons out of the market and Thorntons matched. Fail to see how it's unlikely??? Thorntons wanted to keep the business, and they did. I know plenty of people who got the same deal too.
    Very glad I called and got that price and didn't switch to Greyhound, our next door neighbours bin that was meant to be collected yesterday is still waiting to be collected from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Coopaloop wrote: »
    n97 mini wrote: »
    It's 15.50 in Leixlip so unlikey it was 13 euro in Celbridge. I signed up. Very happy with the service. If you got Thorntons to do it for 13 though, you're onto a winner![/quote

Yup, €13 for the 3 bins. Greyhound were offering that price to push Thorntons out of the market and Thorntons matched. Fail to see how it's unlikely???

Dunno why they'd offer 15.50 in Leixlip and 13.00 in Celbridge is all.

As I said, switched to Greyhound in Leixlip a few months back, and can't fault them so far.

Advertisement