Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

probate and wills

Options
  • 09-03-2012 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

have i the legal right to get an original will from a solicitor. i just want to know if my solicitor can get the original will off the irish solicitor that drew it up as i want my solicitor to apply for probate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

If you are the executor named therein, yes

• Registered Users Posts: 8 livefortoday

my father was the executer but he is died since intestate so my mother wants the will

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Was there a substitute executor?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Genealogy_Guy

my father was the executer but he is died since intestate so my mother wants the will

Quite possibly, the father was the executor as well as being a beneficiary. As he has now died it is usual practice to settle the estate that he would have benefited from, before settling his own estate.

Ideally the will would have specified alternate executors. If it didn't, then close relatives can apply for a type of probate called 'letters of administration with will annexed'.

Any application for probate can be done by the executors or close relatives themselves. There is no requirement to use a solicitor. But if the estate is complicated, it can be of benefit to discuss with a solicitor on what they would charge to take care of applying for probate.

Regards
    Genealogy Guy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Is there another executor? They can take the original will (I'm presuming the testator has died?)

Who is the beneficiary of the residue?

• Advertisement
Advertisement