Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

patio directly onto concrete

• 09-03-2012 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

I have an area i want to lay a patio on but about half of it has concrete on it already. I was wondering if i can lay slabs directly onto concrete? or would i need a thin layer of sand. there is also a shore beside the house and there is access to a sewer i think. any advice appreciated. i would like to do this work myself sooner rather than later. Kind regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jimkayak

Hi There,
    The best way to lay slabs on any surface is on a 1 to 2 inch bed of sand and cement with a drop of mortersizer in the water, mix it in a in a cement mixer to a semi-dry state for easy screening/leveling with a straight edge.
    The area without concrete will have to be dug down a bit to allow for a bed of hard core like Screenings or gravel both of which should be compated with mecanical compactor.

Regards, Jim.

p.s. don't forget to allow a fall towards a drain so you don't have a swimming pool :)

Advertisement