Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What didn't live up to the hype of their trailers?

• 09-03-2012 1:13pm

So, basically, as the title says - what TV show/movie/game didn't live up to the hype of their trailers?

For me, the biggest offenders were:

The Dead Island trailer was fantastically sombre and dark, however the game just didn't live up to any of these. Instead of the grimness of the trailer, we were given a somewhat bright game, with some diabolical voice acting.

OK - maybe it's a bit unfair singling this out, since it's only on its second episode, but the trailer makes it out to be extremely moving, where the show just isn't.. yet.

So, what are yours, people of AH?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Massey Ferguson tractors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Inception. Boring crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭the scrote

cowboys & aliens

the scrote wrote: »
    cowboys & aliens

yes, thought it could be a lot of fun from the trailer, was one of the dullest movies I'd seen in years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Ruscon, Ivor Williams...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Confab wrote: »
    Inception. Boring crap.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Eroticfishcake

My big fat gypsy wedding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

It would be easier to list the stuff that did live up to the hype of the trailer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Inception. Boring crap.

That was easily the biggest piece of **** movie ever made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Super 8. Trailers and hype for like 2 years, went to see it.

R.U.B.B.I.S.H.!.

Was waiting for the fat kid in it to do 'The Truffle Shuffle'...

That was easily the biggest piece of **** movie ever made.

you need to watch more bad movies then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I pretty much assumed Dead Island was gonna be ****e because basing your opinion of a video game on a cinematic video is retarded. I actually liked it though.

Haters hating on inception :(

krudler wrote: »
    you need to watch more bad movies then

Whys that?

Spunge wrote: »
    I pretty much assumed Dead Island was gonna be ****e because basing your opinion of a video game on a cinematic video is retarded. I actually liked it though.

Haters hating on inception :(

Its worse that shyte.

Its actually scutter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Every horror film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

My big fat gypsy wedding

They ain't trailers there're caravans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I am a SciFi head so I am allured to all thing in that genre, recently I was looking forward to "In Time" the trailer looked great.

But.......................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

My life:(

My big fat gypsy wedding

Has there ever been an enjoyable wedding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Predators.

There's a point in the trailer which looks really cool ( skip to 1:18)

Predators trailer

But it never happens in the actual movie. It's not a deleted scene or edit, it was an outright lie. Rodriguez admitted later that it was a trick to get people to see the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Has there ever been an enjoyable wedding

You really are an angry bollix aren't ya

fedor.2. wrote: »
    You really are an angry bollix aren't ya

No. Weddings in general are a pain in the arse. The majority are tedious

Whys that?

Inception isnt anywhere close to being the worst movie ever, its a good movie with a ton of hype around it as Christoper Nolan is Hollwood's golden boy at the moment, overrated? sure, well made? definitely. Nolan is one of the few directors who shoots stuff for real instead of using lazy cgi for everything, and for that he should be commended. if you think its the worst movie ever watch Meet The Spartans, that actually may be the worst movie ever :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

Skyline

It looked like a good alien invasion movie and turned out to be a really cheaply made B movie with the fella with the long face from 24. I turned off after about an hour...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

Contagion

Good old fashioned pandemic, great cast, ball of ****e...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Super 8. Trailers and hype for like 2 years, went to see it.

R.U.B.B.I.S.H.!.

Was waiting for the fat kid in it to do 'The Truffle Shuffle'...

That Abrahms chap is the king of marketing.

Cloverfield was another giant pile of ****e.

Laika1986 wrote: »
    Contagion

Good old fashioned pandemic, great cast, ball of ****e...

its basically Outbreak with Gwyneth Paltrow as the monkey.

Inception isnt anywhere close to being the worst movie ever, its a good movie with a ton of hype around it as Christoper Nolan is Hollwood's golden boy at the moment, overrated? sure, well made? definitely. Nolan is one of the few directors who shoots stuff for real instead of using lazy cgi for everything, and for that he should be commended. if you think its the worst movie ever watch Meet The Spartans, that actually may be the worst movie ever :pac:

Inception is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Whether or not the Christopher Nolan is Jimmy Golden Balls from Hollywood is irrelevant to me. It was pure gash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭skeptik

2012. The one with John Cusack (that should've been enough!). I looked forward to that for months, it looked epic. It wasn't.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I decided to watch Chain Letter last night, and wished that I'd read the reviews on IMDB first, because it was pure hogwash, and I assumed that someone had accidentally erased the ending, or that Sky had fucked up and missed it out.:(

Debbie didnt do Dallas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Whys that?

Cos you haven't a clue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Dead Island was one of my favourite games of last year... the most visceral melee combat game ever made imo.

The Phantom Menace was definitely a huge let down. I remember being so excited to see it, my friend had come back from New York having seen it and said it was ****e, I wanted to punch him... when i eventually saw I was gutted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

if you think its the worst movie ever watch Meet The Spartans, that actually may be the worst movie ever :pac:

Not even close,Charle One-Eye is the worst film ever made.Myself and the mates watched it about 15 years ago.We still talk about it after all this time ,we use it as a benchmark for crap films.To this day nothing any of us has seen has been worse than this. "a film about 2 outlaws and a one-eyed chicken hiding in a church"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Funny, was just thinking today of how good the final Terminator Salvation trailer was and how crap the movie turned out to be:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Alexander was the biggest pile of donkey excrement but the trailer made it out to be good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

Not even close,Charle One-Eye is the worst film ever made.Myself and the mates watched it about 15 years ago.We still talk about it after all this time ,we use it as a benchmark for crap films.To this day nothing any of us has seen has been worse than this. "a film about 2 outlaws and a one-eyed chicken hiding in a church"

I do the same with "Vanilla Sky" by far and away the most ****e movie I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Whys that?

Because bad movies, I mean REALLY bad movies, are a whole f*cking artform by themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

The Room isn't bad, it's a classic! You'd be hard pressed to find a better comedy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Every Metal Gear Solid game after the Playstation original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

District 9

I can't comment on whether the film itself was good or bad because I was so thrown by the fact that the trailer seemed to be for a completely different film. The actual movie was so unexpected that my brain shut down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Hot Tub Time Machine

I'm not saying I expected it to be great or anything, but thought it would be a decent switch-your-brain-off-and-have-a-laugh-at-comedy type film. The trailer was funny, but it turned out that the scenes in the trailer were literally the only funny parts of the whole damn thing.

Awful film.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

maximoose wrote: »
    Hot Tub Time Machine

I'm not saying I expected it to be great or anything, but thought it would be a decent switch-your-brain-off-and-have-a-laugh-at-comedy type film. The trailer was funny, but it turned out that the scenes in the trailer were literally the only funny parts of the whole damn thing.

Awful film.

I think it's a comedy classic! Love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I think it's a comedy classic! Love it!

Hated it on first viewing, really liked it second time around. Its a grower alright...

'Aoen flux' for me, love Sc Fi but the movie had a great idea for me but totally failed to live up to the hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Tourism

The film 2012 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Pretty much all trailers. The worst is when you watch a film and realise you'd seen all the good bits along with the entire plot in the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Every Metal Gear Solid game after the Playstation original.

Not exactly following the thread title but I completely disagree. MGS3 is the best game in the series! My sig may gave away that I'm a fan :D

As for trailers, I thought the Battle: Los Angeles trailer was fantastic. Music is excellent and it doesn't give too much away which is nice for a change.

I was looking extremely forward to it and it turned out to be a below average cheesy movie. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭iceman777

A bit of me died after seeing the full movie!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Inception. Boring crap.

+1

• Advertisement
Advertisement