Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for some advice...

Options
  • 09-03-2012 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi everybody,

I have been on the pill, taking it religiously each day, but have found out this week that I am potentially pregnant.

I did a HPT on Monday night (a Clearblue digital) that indicated that I was pregnant, 1-2 weeks. I have done several other tests between Monday and Wednesday, some Clearblue digitals, some Tesco cheapies. All have been positive. However, when I went to my GP on Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning, his tests have been negative!

He sent me for bloods yesterday, which came back positive with a hCG level of 97. I'll be repeating the blood test on Monday again, and we'll see then whether the hCG reading has increased. Is 97 a hopeful

The pregnancy is unexpected, but far from unwanted! The timing isn't ideal, but God laughs at a plan!!!

I was just wondering if the more experienced among you would think that the signs seem favourable? I'm so nervous about all this, and the lack of certainty about what is happening is killing me! Has anyone had a similar experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

jedishelly wrote: »
    Hi everybody,

I have been on the pill, taking it religiously each day, but have found out this week that I am potentially pregnant.

I did a HPT on Monday night (a Clearblue digital) that indicated that I was pregnant, 1-2 weeks. I have done several other tests between Monday and Wednesday, some Clearblue digitals, some Tesco cheapies. All have been positive. However, when I went to my GP on Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning, his tests have been negative!

He sent me for bloods yesterday, which came back positive with a hCG level of 97. I'll be repeating the blood test on Monday again, and we'll see then whether the hCG reading has increased. Is 97 a hopeful

The pregnancy is unexpected, but far from unwanted! The timing isn't ideal, but God laughs at a plan!!!

I was just wondering if the more experienced among you would think that the signs seem favourable? I'm so nervous about all this, and the lack of certainty about what is happening is killing me! Has anyone had a similar experience?
    An hCG level below 5 mIU/ml is considered "not pregnant"
    An hCG level above 25 mIU/ml is considered "pregnant".
    An hCG level between 5-25 mIU/ml requires a follow-up test to confirm what it could be.
    At hCG levels in early pregnancy below 1,200 mIU/ml the hCG usually doubles every 48-72 hours and it should normally increase by at least 60% every two days. 
    Between 1,200 and 6,000 mIU/ml serum hCG levels in early pregnancy, the hCG usually takes 72-96 hours to double
    Above 6,000 mIU/ml, the hCG often takes over four or more days to double.
    After 9-10 weeks of the pregnancy hCG levels normally decrease

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

It's more than likely that you are pregnant - its not possible to get a false positive but it is possible to get a false negative. so if you get a positive test it's positive! I did everything from clear blue to tesco value too and I don't know what the difference is once you've passed your period due date.

Obviously I'm not a medical expert and you need confirmation from your doctor but I would be expecting congratulations!

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I was also taking the pill(Noriday) religiously for 5 months last year when I got pregnant, you never think it will happen, but the baby is asleep on my lap now! Congrats!!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Sounds to me like your pregnant...although im no doc or midwife. All i can tell you is what my doctor told me when i discovered a shock pregnancy at 6 months. She said ' there are no such things as a false positive test result, there can be false negatives but definatley not false positives.' hope that helps. Congratulations and good luck with it all...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

OP you're right god does laugh at a plan!

It's really just a case of waiting and seeing, it seems like ages away now, but it will fly in, HONEST :) just start taking folic acid just in case. It certainly won't do you any harm even if you're not pregnant!

I hope whatever the result you're happy, good luck and let us know when you get the definitive answer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭GoerGirl

The GP tests are not as sensitive as the over-the-counter tests. My own GP has mentioned this to me in the past.

I also have a pregnancy as a result of taking the pill - no missed pills - not sick, etc!

Congratulations:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 jedishelly

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all the kind words and advice. Did repeat hCG tests at the hospital yesterday and they came back at 460! Things are looking fairly hopeful so far. It's looking like I'm expecting a November baba!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

jedishelly wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all the kind words and advice. Did repeat hCG tests at the hospital yesterday and they came back at 460! Things are looking fairly hopeful so far. It's looking like I'm expecting a November baba!

:)

Well CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your Christmas this year is gonna be an extra special one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

congratulations :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

massive congrats!! Do you mind me asking what pill you took, i have to choose a new one tomorrow...and i already nearly have irish twins so need something that works!

• Advertisement
Advertisement