Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about sponsorship

Options
  • 09-03-2012 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm working at the moment in an accounts role, Just wondering if my company was willing to do it could they sponsor me? I have no formal qualifications or anything so I don't know what the story is with sponsorship for "non skilled" person?

At the moment I am de facto on my boyfriends 457 but would like to have my own sponsorship.

Any advice appreciated,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I would say its in the to hard basket. I have never heard of non skilled sponsorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

My advice would be to stay as a de facto on your boyfriend's visa. You've much more freedom as a de facto on a 457 than you do as the primary visa holder!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Princess_N wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm working at the moment in an accounts role, Just wondering if my company was willing to do it could they sponsor me? I have no formal qualifications or anything so I don't know what the story is with sponsorship for "non skilled" person?

At the moment I am de facto on my boyfriends 457 but would like to have my own sponsorship.

Any advice appreciated,

Having a qualification isn't a prerequisite in attaining sponsorship. See this guide

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/overseas-options.pdf

However to get sponsorship you have a fairly important role within a company otherwise why would they bother go through the whole process? By sponsoring an individual they are committed themselves to having this person on board for the next four years. I also read some where you must be earning a minimum of around $50,000 a year for them to sponsor you

If you have a fairly non essential role within a company I think they are unlikely to sponsor you. If you think your role is an important one there is no harm in asking!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Having a qualification isn't a prerequisite in attaining sponsorship. See this guide

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/overseas-options.pdf

However to get sponsorship you have a fairly important role within a company otherwise why would they bother go through the whole process? By sponsoring an individual they are committed themselves to having this person on board for the next four years. I also read some where you must be earning a minimum of around $70,000 a year for them to sponsor you - although I could be wrong on this one.

If you have a fairly non essential role within a company I think they are unlikely to sponsor you. If you think your role is an important one there is no harm in asking!

Yeah you are wrong, TSMIT= $49 330.

That is the minimum threshold limit, depending on what the occupation market rate's may apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Princess_N

Thanks for the replies everyone, I earn quite a bit more than that so that part might be ok and I think my job is pretty important (and I get along really well with my bosses).

Your right about the freedom of a defacto sponsorship though, Maybe I'll just stay as I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭markfdrums

When a company sponsors you, they own your ass...dont forget that.

I'm in the process of getting sponsored and the company approached me, not the other way around.

If it gets granted, they can literally hand you a toilet brush and tell you to get cleaning. I'm exaggerating clearly but they quite literally own you.

In regards to cost, its peanuts especially if the company has sponsored before and is accredited.

Most companies would jump at the chance of sponsoring an existing employee. It locks you in for a min time and if they are successful and you are good at your job, thats only good news for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

markfdrums wrote: »
    If it gets granted, they can literally hand you a toilet brush and tell you to get cleaning. I'm exaggerating clearly but they quite literally own you.

Most companies would jump at the chance of sponsoring an existing employee. It locks you in for a min time and if they are successful and you are good at your job, thats only good news for them.

You are subject to all Australian rights just like Australians. So if they sponsor you for a specific role and you're not doing that role then they're in breach of the sponsorship.

You aren't locked into any company. If they sack you, you have 28 days to find a new company or return home. In most circumstances that isn't related to your poor performance or you breaching rules in the company they have to pay for your and anyone on your visas flight home.

If you find a company while on a 457 willing to sponsor you aswell you can leave your job and transfer over to that company via a bridging visa.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/_pdf/457-your-rights-work.pdf

I have a friend in the process of switching 457 at the moment. he says its hell

I have a friend in the process of switching 457 at the moment. he says its hell

Really? In what context? If the new company never sponsored before then I'm sure it would be. But immigration have made it alot easier nowadays.

Like I mentioned in my own thread, if a company is willing to let you leave in an amicable fashion and the new company have their house in order it should be easy. My friend was saying his old company were not happy about him leaving so withheld docs and are just being very slow. He now can't get paid as he's technically between visas until its processed.

• Advertisement

Like I mentioned in my own thread, if a company is willing to let you leave in an amicable fashion and the new company have their house in order it should be easy. My friend was saying his old company were not happy about him leaving so withheld docs and are just being very slow. He now can't get paid as he's technically between visas until its processed.

It's something I'll keep aware of, but surely that can't be really legal.

I know a couple of people who switched companies and had no problem at all, one before 2009 (before it was changed) and one after.

Advertisement