Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spanish town grows cannabis

• 09-03-2012 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭

A SMALL town in Spain believes it has found a novel way to pay off its debt: cultivating cannabis.
    Tucked in the hills of one of Spain's most picturesque regions, the Catalonian village of Rasquera has agreed to rent out land to grow marijuana, an enterprise the local authorities say will allow them to pay off their €1.3m debt in two years.
    Local authorities are keeping the location of the site top secret while Spain's attorney general investigates the legality of the project. The Catalan regional government has also asked the village for further information about the plan.
    Spanish towns are swamped in debt after a construction boom that imploded in 2008. Almost one in four Spanish workers is jobless and many cities are behind in salaries for government employees.
    hnews@herald.ie
    http://www.herald.ie/news/how-broke-spanish-towns-going-to-pot-3044403.html

Be very interesting to see the outcome of this and if the local council does pay of its debt,It should be a winner financially imo.....Sure it wont be long before Ireland follows :rolleyes: Some one give luke ming flanagan a ring there and let him keep an eye on it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Bleedin' junkies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

we would be better off producing LSD to cure our drunks :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

They'll regret this, drugs destroy families or so I hear...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Couldn't happen here weed be too hash on em, the plan would be up in smoke before long, everyone would blow their money on it.....:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

mackg wrote: »
    They'll regret this, drugs destroy families or so I hear...

2/10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Couldn't happen here weed be too hash on em, the plan would be up in smoke before long, everyone would blow their money on it.....:p

If this catches on they'll be rolling in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

....I'm hungry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Sykk wrote: »
    2/10

=.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Kurz wrote: »

Highly unlikely though, I don't mean to be blunt but it'll probably blow back in their faces when the lawers get their papers out and spark a frenzy of injunctions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

The laws about marijuana have changed since january of this year and as far as I remember every person is now legally allowed cultivate one plant in catalunya.

Dont know if that has anything to do with this though.

Edit: They are apparently allowed grow four plants.
    http://pr.cannazine.co.uk/201112131543/green/eco-news/cannabis-legal-and-regulated-in-spain.html

I must take spanish lessons so I can move and live in a country that treats adults like well adults (and I would be able to go and watch Messi play).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Kurz wrote: »
    Seachmall wrote: »
    Highly unlikely though, I don't mean to be blunt but it'll probably blow back in their faces when the lawers get their papers out and spark a frenzy of injunctions.

Thanks for using bold on the key words, I would not have noticed the jokes otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Thanks for using bold on the key words, I would not have noticed the jokes otherwise.

The bold is just for hemphasis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Result will be a cannabis boom if those plans will be legal for all cities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

inforfun wrote: »
    Result will be a cannabis boom if those plans will be legal for all cities?

If it does get the go ahead and is a success, there'll probably be a bit of a boom in it. It happened and is still happening in California and their laws aren't even properly sorted yet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Don't tell Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

They should grow low carb marijuana its all the range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Don't be a drag man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

suppose you've gotta roll with the times :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I prefer this means of paying for local services over the household charge.

One reason being that it might actually be used to pay for local services

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Seachmall wrote: »

Feeling a whitener coming on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

realies wrote: »
    A SMALL town in Spain believes it has found a novel way to pay off its debt: cultivating cannabis.
    Tucked in the hills of one of Spain's most picturesque regions, the Catalonian village of Rasquera has agreed to rent out land to grow marijuana, an enterprise the local authorities say will allow them to pay off their €1.3m debt in two years.
    Local authorities are keeping the location of the site top secret while Spain's attorney general investigates the legality of the project. The Catalan regional government has also asked the village for further information about the plan.
    Spanish towns are swamped in debt after a construction boom that imploded in 2008. Almost one in four Spanish workers is jobless and many cities are behind in salaries for government employees.
    hnews@herald.ie
    http://www.herald.ie/news/how-broke-spanish-towns-going-to-pot-3044403.html

Be very interesting to see the outcome of this and if the local council does pay of its debt,It should be a winner financially imo.....Sure it wont be long before Ireland follows :rolleyes: Some one give luke ming flanagan a ring there and let him keep an eye on it.

8 states in the U.S poised to legalize marijuana and regulate it more like alcohol
    1. California: Regulate Marijuana Like Wine
    2. Colorado: Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol Act
    3. Michigan: The 2012 Michigan Ballot Initiative to End Marijuana Prohibition
    4. Missouri: Show-Me Cannabis Regulation
    5. Montana: Montana First: Ending Criminal Penalties for Marijuana
    6. Nebraska: The Nebraska Cannabis Initiative
    7. Oregon: Oregon Cannabis Tax Act of 2012
    8. Washington: Initiative 502

Meanwhile in paddy land.........

Advertisement