Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you get a manhole cover with a drain hole in it?

• 09-03-2012 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have three dogs and my back garden is a much fest as the drainage is terrible. I am going to pave it when the weather changes. There is a manhole cover in the corner of the garden which leads to the main waste sewer. I will need to allow the rain water to run somewhere and I was thinking of sloping the ground to here.

Is it possible to get a manhole cover with a grill type hole in it? I would also hope to be able to was the dog dirt down there when I powerhose the garden. I would of course make sure that I dont flood too much down there at once!

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You are not allowed to run rain water into a sewer and no not as far as i am aware on the cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Drill a hole/holes in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭Max Moment

First off I would check that the Manhole you are proposing using is definitely foul and not storm water. I doubt the fish in the local River would appreciate some unwelcome floatation devices!:D

There are manhole covers available which are slotted as you describe. If you ask at your local builder's providers to see there Cavanagh Foundry catalogue (or similar) you will find one of these.

A thought would be to merely cut a slot out of your existing Manhole cover approx. 100mm square which would allow you to do the same thing? Another Option would be to replace the manhole cover with a Road Gully Grating (if the size allows). From memory I think these are 450mm long x 300mm wide. This might be a cheaper option than the Manhole cover. Again ask at your local merchant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

As mentioned, you shouldn't be putting storm runoff into a foul drain, but that wouldn't necessarily stop everyone.

If you put a slotted cover on a foul manhole, you will have a constant stink in the corner of your garden. You need to put a trapped gulley - the water in the bottom of the trap keeps the smelly gasses trapped in the sewer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭Max Moment

tipperary wrote: »
    As mentioned, you shouldn't be putting storm runoff into a foul drain, but that wouldn't necessarily stop everyone.

If you put a slotted cover on a foul manhole, you will have a constant stink in the corner of your garden. You need to put a trapped gulley - the water in the bottom of the trap keeps the smelly gasses trapped in the sewer.

You are spot on with the smell Tipperary, this definitely wouldn't be wanted. That rules out the slot.

On the trapped Gully, IMO it is not a good idea to put solid waste down one of these as it will block over time. Another option would be to put an AJ in place of the trapped Gully and merely open it each time that it is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

tipperary wrote: »

I never even thought of that... I'm starting to think it might be easier to just remove the drain when I need to let the water out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Install a gullytrap beside the manhole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

2 foul manhole covers in my front and back gardens were cracked. Didn't want to pull out the frames but couldn't buy the covers to fit but family member knew a steel fabricator who made them up.

He put 2 small holes in each one so that I can insert 2 "keys" to lift them as and when I need access.

Result of these small holes?

A rotten stink, not always, and not always noticeable, but there. Bad idea even that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,577 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You very well might be inviting Rats to come and play.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

engrish? wrote: »
    Hi,

I have three dogs and my back garden is a much fest as the drainage is terrible. I am going to pave it when the weather changes. There is a manhole cover in the corner of the garden which leads to the main waste sewer. I will need to allow the rain water to run somewhere and I was thinking of sloping the ground to here.

Is it possible to get a manhole cover with a grill type hole in it? I would also hope to be able to was the dog dirt down there when I powerhose the garden. I would of course make sure that I dont flood too much down there at once!

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks
    yes there is such a cover i have seen them in the setting down lane at dublin airport,just dont have a clue where they got them,

• Advertisement
Advertisement