If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend AV Receiver

Options
  • 09-03-2012 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hello, I'm looking to replace my JVC RX-817VTN with something new. I'm looking to be able to have 2 different zones, one for the TV and surround and a different zone for a Pair of Bose 601's. Network connectivity and minium two optical inputs (TV, DVD player). I only have a 5.1 speaker setup for my surround sound and am happy with that. I would like to keep the price under €600 - but if something was out there that covered all my needs, I would consider it.

I have all my CD's ripped and stored on my Network harddrive and would love a way to be able to play these directly from my receiver. Is there any models that would have a LCD display that would show the directory and then song title ? or would using my TV (which has a optical output and is connected to my netword) be the best way to choose what to play ?

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting in touch. :)

Got the perfect amp for you. It would be the Onkyo TXNR 609. This has been of our best selling amps for a while now. It has everything you're after. Sounds fantastic too!

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/onkyo/txnr609/onky-txnr609-blk

Our price for the amp inc delivery would be £412.94 / €516.17.

The 609 will show the likes of your Spotify playlists on the screen. I'm not 100% on streaming from network devices. I'll look in to this for you.

Let me know what you think of this brilliant piece of kit. :)

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 42 christg

Thanks for the quick reply. I've spent the last hour or so going through the manual for this and am quite impressed, expecially at the price. The one thing that bothers me is that zone2 will only play analog devices. Zone 2 would be my main music speakers, so I would be limited to having to connect my CD player using the RCA jacks, as opposed to using the optical connection. I would then wonder if the USB/Ethernet connections would be considered digital, so then a IPod wouldn't play in zone 2 - or music streamed from my pc.

The upscaling is of interest and was wondering how it would look with a Sky Plus box, which only has scart and s-video outputs ( I could get a scart to RCA cable ).

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The zone 2 will play from the likes of internal tuners internet radio, spotify etc. Should also play any audio you're streaming from your PC. Also connecting an Ipod/phone/pad in to the audio connections will allow play back.

For the Sky box I'd just connect it straight into the TV as normal and use an optical cable to carry the sound across. You could run the video through the amp too if wanted to.

And also when streaming to the Onkyo it will display the likes of artist and track name on the panel and can also show this on your screen too. :)

Let me know what you think.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Hi Lads,

I'm looking into exactly the same setup for our house once an ongoing renovation is near to complete.

Chris, if you get this would you mind posting a review on how you feel the second zone work?

Right now, I'm between getting this amp to split to two rooms or to get a cheaper amp for AV work in the TV room and maybe a second hand audio amp for the kitchen (music) room.

Kenny, if it comes together will be putting an order together in a month or two.

Ta,

OB.

I've been downloading a bunch of user manuals on A/V receivers in this range and they all seem to have the same limitation on zone 2, being that only analog devices may play on zone 2. The good news is that you can have two different sources playing - one in each zone (only one radio tuner, so only one radio signal). According to the manuals, usb, internet streams can be played through zone 2 (I would have thought that this was digital). I'm not sure about the ipad (not that I have one, but it could be a good way to handle music).

The missing s-video port might be an issue, I've never had to use one before, but my Sky Plus box has only s-video and scart out puts - and since most of these receivers do upscaling, it would be nice to upscale my sky signal. Not a necessity, but it would be nice to see if it worked.

It is a nice looking reciever and all the specs are good, and its a great price.

I'm looking at the Onkyo TXNR609, Pioneer VSX921 and the Yamaha V671. All around the same price. I'm planning on documenting all the specs and do an apple to apple comparison when I get a chance. If anyone has any opinions on any of these please let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Outer.

Are you looking to have the same audio output to the second zone or are you looking to have different audio ?

If you are looking at a different source, what are the sources likely to be ?

Just need to make sure it's going to do what you want it to. :-)

Cheers

Dave

Hi Lads,

I'm looking into exactly the same setup for our house once an ongoing renovation is near to complete.

Chris, if you get this would you mind posting a review on how you feel the second zone work?

Right now, I'm between getting this amp to split to two rooms or to get a cheaper amp for AV work in the TV room and maybe a second hand audio amp for the kitchen (music) room.

Kenny, if it comes together will be putting an order together in a month or two.

Ta,

OB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi ChristG.

The Onkyo is much better musically than the Pioneer but the Pioneer offers more bells and whistles.

The Onkyo has a warmer sound and is a little easier to listen to whereas the Pioneer is very lively and quite bright, so can sound a little more impressive on the home cinema side.

The Yamaha is a very good receiver also and is similar to the Onkyo on the type of sound that it produces and even though, I own an Onkyo, that Yamaha is a great receiver for the money.

If I was looking at this type of receiver, the Yam would be the one to go for and that's hard to say given that I own an Onkyo.

I hope this helps but if you need any more help, just shout.

ATB

Dave

christg wrote: »
    I've been downloading a bunch of user manuals on A/V receivers in this range and they all seem to have the same limitation on zone 2, being that only analog devices may play on zone 2. The good news is that you can have two different sources playing - one in each zone (only one radio tuner, so only one radio signal). According to the manuals, usb, internet streams can be played through zone 2 (I would have thought that this was digital). I'm not sure about the ipad (not that I have one, but it could be a good way to handle music).

The missing s-video port might be an issue, I've never had to use one before, but my Sky Plus box has only s-video and scart out puts - and since most of these receivers do upscaling, it would be nice to upscale my sky signal. Not a necessity, but it would be nice to see if it worked.

It is a nice looking reciever and all the specs are good, and its a great price.

I'm looking at the Onkyo TXNR609, Pioneer VSX921 and the Yamaha V671. All around the same price. I'm planning on documenting all the specs and do an apple to apple comparison when I get a chance. If anyone has any opinions on any of these please let me know.

I think I've settled on the Yamaha V671, but was wondering a few things.

Is there a new model coming out to replace this soon ?

Is there any promotions coming up on this ?

Why is the V771 so much more expensive ? - it looks like they both have the same specs.

Do you carry the titanium version ?

I would be looking to buy at the begining of next month.

Thanks again for your time and quick response.

christg wrote: »
    I think I've settled on the Yamaha V671, but was wondering a few things.

Is there a new model coming out to replace this soon ?

Is there any promotions coming up on this ?

Why is the V771 so much more expensive ? - it looks like they both have the same specs.

Do you carry the titanium version ?

I would be looking to buy at the begining of next month.

Thanks again for your time and quick response.

Hi Christ77638194.

We only have stock of the Black with no Titanium due to arrive unfortunately.

There is no sign of a replacement just yet. I've checked Yamaha's website and no mention on there either. So the 671 is still the current version.

At the minute it is listed in the "Need an Amp" thread at the Boardie Price of £339.95
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/yamaha/rxv671/yama-rxv671-blk

There is a few differences between the 771 and the 671:
    771 is 7.2 - 671 is 7.1
    771 is 160W - 671 is 150W
    771 comes with a learning remote.
    http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/?page=1&mode=compare&selected=352941_352939_

Let us know when your ready and we can go from there.

Hello Kenny,

The price you have listed of £339.95 sounds good, what do I have to do to get this price? I would like to move forward on this - should I just go ahead and purchase it off the link you sent ?

I also live in the Republic, is there a different online checkout ? We don't have postal codes.

• Advertisement

Hey Christg.

PM sent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Hi Outer.

Are you looking to have the same audio output to the second zone or are you looking to have different audio ?

If you are looking at a different source, what are the sources likely to be ?

Just need to make sure it's going to do what you want it to. :-)

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave, yeah just purchased the yammy rxv671 off you guys also :-)

The deal with the receiver plus the speaker packages was hard to resist.

Chris, it'll be a while before I get to hook this up so if you have any updates on how you find the receiver would be good to hear.

Cheers,

OB.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.