Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikes at DART Station

Options
  • 09-03-2012 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi All - A friend in work had his bike stolen from Greystones DART Station last Friday. It has been reported to the Gardaí but the likelihood of recovering it is quite slim. Just to forewarn people – when leaving your bike at the Station, ensure it is locked to something tangible. It seems like a no brainer but at the moment, the demand currently outweighs the supply so the bike-rack fills up very quickly. It can, therefore, be very tempting to stick your bike in at the back locked to itself (i.e. wheel to frame) and nothing else. Now that bikes are allowed on the DART at off-peak hours, it is very easy for someone to carry your bike away and on to a train without looking too suspicious (that's not necessarily what happened in this instance, it's merely another method for thieves to utilise).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

Tiradon wrote: »
    Hi All - A friend in work had his bike stolen from Greystones DART Station last Friday. It has been reported to the Gardaí but the likelihood of recovering it is quite slim. Just to forewarn people – when leaving your bike at the Station, ensure it is locked to something tangible. It seems like a no brainer but at the moment, the demand currently outweighs the supply so the bike-rack fills up very quickly. It can, therefore, be very tempting to stick your bike in at the back locked to itself (i.e. wheel to frame) and nothing else. Now that bikes are allowed on the DART at off-peak hours, it is very easy for someone to carry your bike away and on to a train without looking too suspicious (that's not necessarily what happened in this instance, it's merely another method for thieves to utilise).

Appalling that there is no view of the bikes from inside the station by window or CCTV. Irish Rail attitude seems to be to do as little as possible for customers so I wouldn't expect them to feel they should have any such oversight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Honestly! wrote: »
    Appalling that there is no view of the bikes from inside the station by window or CCTV. Irish Rail attitude seems to be to do as little as possible for customers so I wouldn't expect them to feel they should have any such oversight.

Is the bike park the responsibility Iarnród Éireann?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

no id say the town council.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Honestly! wrote: »

its pretty much the most visible location in the town, but bike thieves can be impressively brazen.

There's 2 approaches to take - get a decent U-lock (ie not a chain, not a cable lock) and make sure your bike is locked properly to something solid. Or ride a cheap (or at least cheap-looking) bike that's not worth anything to a thief. Plenty of tips (and cautionary tales) over on the cycling board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

You could ask them to check the cctv footage from inside the station....

In Bray station a few months back some lad cut my bike lock and then tried to get the bike over the railings to put it on the DART.

He was caught by the staff but ran off.

Spoke to a guy in the bike shop and he said that it's getting common for lads to travel out by DART and take a bike at a station and then take it back into town - particularly since LIDL or ALDI started selling cheap small bolt cutters!! Go figure.

So get a very good lock.... they have a rating system.

• Advertisement
Advertisement