Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reason 5

Options
  • 09-03-2012 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Really want to get into Dubstep/drum and bass. Been messing around on reason 5 for a while,anyone have any advice for a beginner? Do I need a different programme to integrate soundbites into my music?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Not really. Reason can handle everything. You can't load 3rd part plugins (effects and synths) so you'll be just using the synths in reason. You can load samples as well. I think there might be two different samplers if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

My advice would be to stick to reason and get to know it inside out and learn how to create your dubstep on it through trial and error, asking specific question on here and through searching youtube for lessons on making different aspects of dubstep e.g making a wobble bass using subtractor, making a dubstep beat with redrum.
    Then you may get to a stage of looking beyond reason to a more powerful DAW with VST support. Reason is great to learn on because it is so visual and you can physically experiment with CV and audio connections when you turn the rack around. But if you persevere with it you will probably out grow it eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 danabrism

Reason is a great starting point - and no matter how advanced you get, it will always have its place in a studio (particularly if you're producing on a laptop - the advantage of not supporting third-party plugins is that it's really stable, and makes efficient use of the processor).

I generally only use Reason rewired into Pro Tools these days, but Thor is a nice synth, and should be able to deal with any Dubstep requirements - modulating basslines!

You can use the NNXT to load soundbites into your project... if you want to record your own samples, you might want to get a sound editor such as Audacity (though Reason 6 has incorporated Record, so it's now much more of an integrated solution).

Advertisement