Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordering Nokia Lumia 800 From UK to Ireland.

Options
  • 09-03-2012 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Am I right to say there is no phone section on boards? Sorry if there is, I looked through twice. Hope it's ok if I post here.

If I order Nokia Lumia 800 from Amazon, unlocked, will it work in Ireland under Meteor? I understand it is "unlocked" but when I tried ordering it, it said they dont deliver those phones over to Ireland, that got me thinking - could a phone be unlocked to all networks, but locked to a certain region. Anyone knows the correct answer?

Much love and cookies in advance. Thank you.

While posting what is above, I was doing some research as well. It looks like all Lumias are very social heavy based phone. All that streaming info from facebook, twiter and such... That is really not what I am looking for. Unless promotion is aimed at such people.
    So I get another question - if anyone here owns any Lumia, could they write their own review? And I am not asking for 10 page review. Just how is the phone with music, apps, texting, calling, managing files thought pc and general feel of it.
    I am not an apple fan boy. I much prefer Microsoft's stuff, that is why I am looking for any awesome Microsoft phone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭wickan

Yes unlocked will work in Ireland dont know any way around the not delivering to Ireland unless you get it send to someone in the uk and they post it on to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Dreadful wrote: »
    Am I right to say there is no phone section on boards? Sorry if there is, I looked through twice. Hope it's ok if I post here.

If I order Nokia Lumia 800 from Amazon, unlocked, will it work in Ireland under Meteor? I understand it is "unlocked" but when I tried ordering it, it said they dont deliver those phones over to Ireland, that got me thinking - could a phone be unlocked to all networks, but locked to a certain region. Anyone knows the correct answer?

Much love and cookies in advance. Thank you.

I think the problem here is Amazon. Have you tried buying directly from Amazon, marketplace sellers may or may not deliver to certain destinations. Click the "FREE Super Saver Delivery offers only" radio button and try buying directly from Amazon.co.uk.

I can't see any problems using a SIM-free phone bought from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

wickan wrote: »
    Yes unlocked will work in Ireland dont know any way around the not delivering to Ireland unless you get it send to someone in the uk and they post it on to you.
    www.Deliverme.ie

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Once its unlocked, its unlocked and will take you irish sim no problem.

The delivery option is just the seller you picked as posted above. This is the same for all items, not just phones on amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Dreadful

yoyo wrote: »
    Moved to Mobiles

Thank you =)
    Davy wrote: »
    Once its unlocked, its unlocked and will take you irish sim no problem.

The delivery option is just the seller you picked as posted above. This is the same for all items, not just phones on amazon.

And thank you =)

Can anyone help me with my other issue?

"While posting what is above, I was doing some research as well. It looks like all Lumias are very social heavy based phone. All that streaming info from facebook, twiter and such... That is really not what I am looking for. Unless promotion is aimed at such people.
    So I get another question - if anyone here owns any Lumia, could they write their own review? And I am not asking for 10 page review. Just how is the phone with music, apps, texting, calling, managing files thought pc and general feel of it.
    I am not an apple fan boy. I much prefer Microsoft's stuff, that is why I am looking for any awesome Microsoft phone."

I did read few threads around but I didn't really find an answer to my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You have hardly read all this thread if you didnt know of the mobile forum till now ;)

>>>Nokia Lumia Megathread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

amazon.de sell it in black, pink and blue. It's about €400 there, with an adjustment for the differing VAT rates. I got a pink one from there, simfree, and my o2 sim works perfectly in it. The only thing is that the charger will need a 2pin-3pin converter, or you could just charge it only from a pc/laptop. I have an american converter and it works fine for it. Also the manuals are exclusively in german which was a bit odd since I thought manuals are multi-lingual by default, but it doesn't matter because the manuals are all online anyway. They also throw in a cover for free in the colour you ordered, it's pretty decent.

How I ordered it was by using translate.google.com to translate the page and then when that stopped working (past checkout stage I think) I copied and pasted chunks of text into the translater. It worked pretty well, no problems. There's probably an easier way than that though.

It is such an easy phone to use, I absolutely love it. http://c2499022.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/WP7_UI.jpg This is what it looks like, the tiles are the main set-up, the list is what you see when you swipe the screen to the left. The tiles are what you want direct access to. The list is for everything that the phone has, all apps and things like calculator and help will be listed there. The tiles are fully set-up so you can do what you want. You can take out the nokia stuff that's already there so it's just on the list, you can mess with the order of things and you can put things like apps, songs, contacts, facebook profiles, games..whatever you want there. The tiles can be one of 12 or so colours, this theme colour is used all over the phone for other things as well.

There is a people tile and it will import news from your facebook newsfeed and allow you to use facebook chat. You can move this to the list as well if you don't want it, and you don't have to download facebook and twitter apps either.

Zune is very easy to use on the phone, so is Nokia music. Nokia music has lovely backgrounds for songs, Zune is more basic. Pretty sure backgrounds are customisable to your own photos. The camera is really good, it's not outstanding but for most it would definitely replace a normal camera, it has flash and it's 8mp. Zune on pc is ridiculously easy to use, it finds itunes songs very easily, simple drag and drop.

I find call quality very good, much better than my old (dumb)phone, and texting is great because the onscreen keyboard is really easy to use, much more accurate I think than on other smartphones. It gets a lot of praise in reviews for this, and rightfully so.

The screen is amazing, has curved glass and has AMOLED, the colour is so clear and no problems in direct daylight. The phone is the perfect size to hold comfortably and is a non-slip surface so no issues there. It's just a beautiful phone.

The downsides are that the battery life is pretty bad and that the speakers dont have as much bass as they should. There is an update on the horizon to fix these issues, it already is in other parts of the world and apparently it is a huge improvement.

http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?__mk_de_DE=%C5M%C5Z%D5%D1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=nokia+lumia+800&x=0&y=0 Number 3 is cheaper because it has t-mobile branding, the rest are unbranded.

edit: amazon.co.uk appear to be selling it for about the same price, in black and blue so it doesn't make much of a difference. I dismissed them out of hand when I was buying it because they didnt have pink, they still don't. They were also a good bit more expensive on it then than they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Every time I'm trying to remember that site I cant! Thank you! *Book marked!

• Advertisement
Advertisement