Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customer Rights and Electronics

Options
  • 09-03-2012 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Bought a mouse today, and asked about the returns policy, just in case. The response I got was "Once the box has been opened, we don't really do returns". Now, I'm fairly sure that this is not an accurate, comprehensive statement on store policy (the cashier looked fairly young :rolleyes:), but it got me thinking: Does opening the box have any effect on a customer's legal right to return goods that are somehow unfit for purpose?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

No it doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

cookie1977 wrote: »
    No it doesn't

That's what I thought. Funnily enough, just opened the box and tested the mouse there and it doesn't seem to like white surfaces :(. This is not entirely uncommon with optical mice (they prefer dark grainy surfaces), but my last one handled the white surface of my table with no issues. Would this in itself constitute a valid reason for return?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

TheAmateur wrote: »
    cookie1977 wrote: »
    No it doesn't

That's what I thought. Funnily enough, just opened the box and tested the mouse there and it doesn't seem to like white surfaces :(. This is not entirely uncommon with optical mice (they prefer dark grainy surfaces), but my last one handled the white surface of my table with no issues. Would this in itself constitute a valid reason for return?

Not really, but the store you're dealing with might be more obliging, or offer you a mouse mat :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

+1 on the mouse mat

I should probably invest in a mousemat... Miss my old mouse already :pac:. They don't make em like they used to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hi all,
    Bought a mouse today, and asked about the returns policy, just in case. The response I got was "Once the box has been opened, we don't really do returns". Now, I'm fairly sure that this is not an accurate, comprehensive statement on store policy (the cashier looked fairly young :rolleyes:), but it got me thinking: Does opening the box have any effect on a customer's legal right to return goods that are somehow unfit for purpose?

It won't/couldn't not effect your rights to return defective/faulty goods, but they can make limit "change of mind" returns with any random condition they see fit to impose.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

From the shops perspective you're asking them to take a loss on an item that isn't faulty (if they can't resell it or return to their supplier/manufacturer for credit), if it's possible that the item can be resold with no hassle from their end, they might take it back with little or no quibble.

Also from their view if you are going to return an item that has been opened used (which personally seems to me to be quite cheeky in this case) they may wonder whether they need your business!

However you seem to agree there's no fault with the item, the item is fit for purpose (it's inability to deal with a White surface would not affect this I think as it can be remedied by a mat!)

However you seem to agree there's no fault with the item, the item is fit for purpose (it's inability to deal with a White surface would not affect this I think as it can be remedied by a mat!)

I think I'd have to agree with you here (even though I'd prefer not to :p). It's a fairly common issue with optical mice. The desk I was using it on has this glossy white surface, so some mice don't respond well to it. It's just a shame my cheap old no-brand mouse could work on it and this more expensive, better-quality mouse can't. Wonder what the difference is between the electronics in the two... methinks a bit of mouse surgery (on the broken mouse, don't worry!) is in order!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Hi all,

Returns and faulty goods are two different things, Returning something is basically like saying I got the wrong one I need a different one.
    Faulty goods are unfit for purpose so your entitled to replacement or refund

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If you want a mouse that works on pretty much any surface, the Logitech "Darkfield" mice are the ones to go for.

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/mice-pointers/mice

They're a bit pricey for my liking but I managed to get a new one (the Anywhere Mouse) on Ebay for €30 + €5 postage about 3 months ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement