Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you make lists?

Options
  • 09-03-2012 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

I really should make a few more lists, for a start it would remind me wtf is in some of the boxes I put away with survival stuff, at the moment its like food boxes and another of cooking and lighting stuff, plus of course various survival tins, bug out bags and car kits etc. I had a sort through of the cooking and lighting box and found a load of Light Sticks I'd completly forgotten I had.

So just wondering if everyone else is more organised and has lists of everything they have or does everyone else just have a better memory than me?

Only thing I have well documented is my wants list, I go over to the UK quite often and shop in a few places (inculding car boot sales) that do cheaper gear and without a list I'd come back with nothing.

Next on my mental list which as I'm posting it here I shouldn't forget is to scan and copy print all our important documents and put a set of each in each bob:

Passports
    Marrige Cert
    Driving Licences
    Birth Certificates
    Insurance Certs
    + Print out of all Bank Account, CC and Credit Union Numbers (excluding PIN codes)

Did I forget anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Next on my mental list which as I'm posting it here I shouldn't forget is to scan and copy print all our important documents and put a set of each in each bob:

Passports
    Marrige Cert
    Driving Licences
    Birth Certificates
    Insurance Certs
    + Print out of all Bank Account, CC and Credit Union Numbers (excluding PIN codes)

Did I forget anything?
    Is it really a good idea to have multiple copies of these very confidential docs in various bags though? They might be good to have in your possession when you bug out, but what about the security risk (identity theft and all that implies) in the meantime?

Say your car is stolen (bob in the boot); house burgled etc. etc. :eek:

It might be better to consider stashing the copies in separate, secret locations to be collected if and when really required.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

An alternative is to scan the copies and keep them on a small pen drive with password protection. The average thief would just throw it away or may not realise what it is with the super small ones.

Or again, if you have a smart phone, take photos of everything and keep them on that as a different type of scan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

I'd have a lot of stuff scanned as jpegs anyway but I think I'd be more likely to loose a USB drive than have a bag with paper copies stolen?

I'll stick with copies as I'm not sure they are that useful? And I know a lot of theives wouldn't even see any value in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I really should make a few more lists, for a start it would remind me wtf is in some of the boxes I put away with survival stuff, at the moment its like food boxes and another of cooking and lighting stuff, plus of course various survival tins, bug out bags and car kits etc. I had a sort through of the cooking and lighting box and found a load of Light Sticks I'd completly forgotten I had.

So just wondering if everyone else is more organised and has lists of everything they have or does everyone else just have a better memory than me?

Only thing I have well documented is my wants list, I go over to the UK quite often and shop in a few places (inculding car boot sales) that do cheaper gear and without a list I'd come back with nothing.

Passports
    Marrige Cert
    Driving Licences
    Birth Certificates
    Insurance Certs

Did I forget anything?

if you have family have pictures of your kids with their names on the back as it helps with reuniting families after a large disaster.

Good idea that, also handy to get those pics onto a USB key and phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

fingerprint and foot prints for kids, helps identify them if stolen.
    Documents relating to land or property ownership., file numbers for the land registry.
    Receipts and photos of anything you intend to claim on the insurance for... think house fire, and proving you owned that big whatever.
    Dental records. grim but might be useful.
    Medical records, important medical data, current meds, conditions etc.

Important photos.. wedding, children, genealogy records, anything that you would hate to lose in a house fire, and would like to print out again. (kids first pictures)

COpies of death certs and probated wills.
    Copies of your own will. (hard copy and sign)

bonniebede wrote: »
    Important photos.. wedding, children, genealogy records, anything that you would hate to lose in a house fire, and would like to print out again. (kids first pictures)

I used to do a bit of data recovery from Hard Disk Drives, the number of people that only have their kids pictures from birth to school on an unbacked up HDD does not bear thinking about :(, so have all that backed up and multiple copies but good point about the house fire - we live in a thatched cottage :o. Therefore must get some off site backups made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Gingermagic

One thing to make sure you do is to get extras of any prescriptions pills any family member is on....and to stock up on over the counter pain med....even antibiotics if you can.....stock up on them or make sure you know your herbs.....and specs extra pairs put in your bug out bag..

Advertisement