Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Value of 2nd hand iPad defined

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Why no 16gb ipad2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

conolan wrote: »
    Seems gamestop will trade in your old ipad
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/26169-gamestop-offering-trade-in/

So that puts a value on old ipads in Ireland. With iPad2 costing €399 on Apple Store, gamestop tradein of €320 shows values are retained!

However, nothing on gamestop site about it!!!

underpriced...
    64gb ipad2's are going for around €500...gamestop only offering €400.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'm tempted to upgrade but don't want to get caught like last year. :(
    Mate was going to US so was getting him to get me one, threw my ipad up on boards and sale agreed within the day....chap came to collect it and 10 mins later after he had gone my mate rang me to say his work trip to the US had just got cancelled :mad:
    No ipad then for a few weeks and bought a xoom to tide me over.....wasn't a bad device in fairness..some things I liked was that it was landscape mode by default and a big res...but apps sucked on it...:)

I do a lot of reading on mine so would enjoy the higher res alright ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

So 3G and extra capacity gets hammered in the second hand market. I have a 32gb 3g ipad 1 which cost 200 extra new but only gets 50 more second hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah, and I guess the lesson to be learned is that if you are buying with a view to having the iPad for a year and moving to the 'new NEW IPAD' in a year, go for the 16Gb Wifi. I read a discussion on the PCWorld thread yesterday where they said that their largest stock of devices was the 16Gb model. I'd imagine those looking for a 64Gb Wifi+3G might find the going harder, but then how many people will want to drop ~€850 on a device like that? Well me, but if I do, I'll be holding it for 2-3 years I reckon.

The price point of the 16Gb Wifi is the sweet spot for many and I think most will get perfectly good use out of their device as well. I do think those who are more serious users might benefit from the higher capacities this time round as apps will be bigger with the addition of the Retina Display.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Thing is with the new model with the high screen resolution I reckon 16Gb is going to be too small. Full quality photo and video are going to annihilate 16Gb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    So 3G and extra capacity gets hammered in the second hand market. I have a 32gb 3g ipad 1 which cost 200 extra new but only gets 50 more second hand.

Yeah people just want in to the iPad craze. Lowest spec will always retain value best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Thing is with the new model with the high screen resolution I reckon 16Gb is going to be too small. Full quality photo and video are going to annihilate 16Gb

The 1080p videos from the iTunes store are supposed to be only 10-15% bigger than the 720p ones. Obviously they've been compressed to hell and back. Photo size won't make too much difference either if all you're doing is looking at jpegs.

Difference in file size for most 2D apps should be minor, assuming the graphic designers are competent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

OctavarIan wrote: »
    The 1080p videos from the iTunes store are supposed to be only 10-15% bigger than the 720p ones. Obviously they've been compressed to hell and back. Photo size won't make too much difference either if all you're doing is looking at jpegs.

Difference in file size for most 2D apps should be minor, assuming the graphic designers are competent...

But 1080p is NOT full resolution for these screens. Expect a higher def standard to come along and eat up your GB. A full resolution photo for this screen is 31Mb AFAIK

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yeah people just want in to the iPad craze. Lowest spec will always retain value best.
    Especially the people only in the market for a second-hand one. By definition they don't have the cash to spend (or don't want to spend it) on the 'extras'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭siobhanoh

I sold my 32gb ipad 1 on Friday for 220. I thought if I sold it early I would get a good price before the market is flooded with them when the new iPad is released. I feel like I have lost an arm. The dusty slow laptop is being used. :(

Roll on March 23rd... What would be the quickest way to get one? Pre-order or go to Compub on Grafton Street at about half 5 on the 23rd (earliest I could get there?!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

you could queue up outside compub but my gut feeling is that there won't be mass hysterical buying of this refresh as with the 1st and 2nd gen. I would be 99% sure that the stock on launch day will be more than adequate.

I wouldn't be as confident about picking up an Apple TV on launch date mind you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

whippet wrote: »
    you could queue up outside compub but my gut feeling is that there won't be mass hysterical buying of this refresh as with the 1st and 2nd gen. I would be 99% sure that the stock on launch day will be more than adequate.

I wouldn't be as confident about picking up an Apple TV on launch date mind you

Ehhh there was no mass hysteria for ipad 1. Anyone could have strolled in that morning and bought one without queuing.

I think this is a bigger event than ipad 2 as for the first time the device will look better when being used.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I just rang one of the stores and was offered €250 for a 16gb Ipad 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

TCP/IP wrote: »

Is that for a trade in? You'll easily get €300 on adverts, more if you have patience.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Trade in or cash. Yeah it will be going on adverts for sure.

Is that for a trade in? You'll easily get €300 on adverts, more if you have patience.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Trade in or cash. Yeah it will be going on adverts for sure.

Did you sell yours? How was the interest, ease of sale?

Thinking of moving on an unopened 16GB ipad2, what would the value be roughly? Prob no difference that its unopened as its nearly a year old anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

I just bought a refurbished ipad2 16gb from apple 349. Cant fault it , it looks brand new to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

kinetic wrote: »
    I just bought a refurbished ipad2 16gb from apple 349. Cant fault it , it looks brand new to me

Was thinking of doin the same myself.
    How long were u waiting for delivery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

iggy wrote: »
    Was thinking of doin the same myself.
    How long were u waiting for delivery?

Ordered Tuesday night, came Friday lunch time.... I put off buying 1 for ages but absolutely love the iPad now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

siobhanoh wrote: »
    I sold my 32gb ipad 1 on Friday for 220. I thought if I sold it early I would get a good price before the market is flooded with them when the new iPad is released. I feel like I have lost an arm. The dusty slow laptop is being used. :(

Roll on March 23rd... What would be the quickest way to get one? Pre-order or go to Compub on Grafton Street at about half 5 on the 23rd (earliest I could get there?!)

I am almost certain GameStop are offering more cash than what you got for your 32gb.

Advertisement