Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox Repair Kit (Washers etc.) + 0020

• 09-03-2012 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭

Basically I'm wondering where the cheapest place to buy an xbox repair kit is? Most xboxes i've fixed have already been 'repaired' by inserting the plastic washers either side of the board along with metal washers. Do i need to buy nylon washers, metal washers and screws or are the original screws used? Also where is the cheapest place to buy the supplies I need - online or local DIY shops?

Also I have a console with an 0020 code, has original xclamps and to my knowledge hasn't even been opened before (all warranty stickers appeared in tact and untampered when i opened it up). Before reflowing (using an oven, mind) I'd like to try the fix with the washers etc.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

Don't bother with those kits they cause more harm than good.
    And the "repair" is very short lived.

If you want the console fixed have it reflowen or reballed by someone with a rework station.
    And have the original x clamps put back on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

^+1

Don't bother with this stuff. Your xbox will work for day or maybe a week but IT WILL break again, for good.

Do as Jimbo said and give it to someone who has equipment to do reflow/reball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I'd prefer to do the fix with the washers first and if that works I'll see how much life I can get out of it. If I get the error again in future then I'll chance the oven as that has worked for me in the past. I'd rather attempt to fix it cheaply than pay for someone to fix it with a rework station (despite that obviously being the best option, I'm not ignoring the advice I already know that to be the best option; I just want the cheapest option :P).

jive wrote: »
    I'd prefer to do the fix with the washers first and if that works I'll see how much life I can get out of it. If I get the error again in future then I'll chance the oven as that has worked for me in the past. I'd rather attempt to fix it cheaply than pay for someone to fix it with a rework station (despite that obviously being the best option, I'm not ignoring the advice I already know that to be the best option; I just want the cheapest option :P).

you do realize that the washers and screws clamp the gpu too tight as they are not at the correct heights and thickness,
    This warps and deforms the graphics chip causing damage to the chip and more importantly the solder pads underneath the chip.

Dont even get me started on the oven,
    Contrary to popular belief an oven doesn't get the board hot enough to actually reflow the solder.

I tried to lift a chip using an oven for ****s and giggles one day to see if it could.
    It failed miserably

you do realize that the washers and screws clamp the gpu too tight as they are not at the correct heights and thickness,
    This warps and deforms the graphics chip causing damage to the chip and more importantly the solder pads underneath the chip.

Dont even get me started on the oven,
    Contrary to popular belief an oven doesn't get the board hot enough to actually reflow the solder.

I tried to lift a chip using an oven for ****s and giggles one day to see if it could.
    It failed miserably

I had a console 2 years ago that I put in the oven and did the 12v fan mod and it's worked since. I don't know how or why it works, but it obviously does to some degree to be fair. Using a reflow station is obviously a much safer and better alternative but I don't have that option unfortunately. I've never done the washers trick myself hence wondering what's the cheapest way to go about it (I already have AS5 thermal paste so just need the screws/washers), but have seen many consoles get a year or two out of that fix.

I'm not even debating whether a reflow station is the best bet, it obviously is. It's just not an option for me so I'm wondering which from the OP is best. My plan was too get washers etc. then if that didn't work I'd try the oven. Due to the washers being far less risky than the oven, even if it doesn't work very long term, I'd like to try them first.

• Advertisement

I had a console 2 years ago that I put in the oven and did the 12v fan mod and it's worked since. I don't know how or why it works, but it obviously does to some degree to be fair. Using a reflow station is obviously a much safer and better alternative but I don't have that option unfortunately. I've never done the washers trick myself hence wondering what's the cheapest way to go about it (I already have AS5 thermal paste so just need the screws/washers), but have seen many consoles get a year or two out of that fix.

I'm not even debating whether a reflow station is the best bet, it obviously is. It's just not an option for me so I'm wondering which from the OP is best. My plan was too get washers etc. then if that didn't work I'd try the oven. Due to the washers being far less risky than the oven, even if it doesn't work very long term, I'd like to try them first.
    an oven is not going to reflow a chip but it will get it hot enough to "reseat" the gpu.

Of the DIY methods of repair the oven is the least damaging when insulated properly.

Dont expect brilliant long lasting results though

an oven is not going to reflow a chip but it will get it hot enough to "reseat" the gpu.

Of the DIY methods of repair the oven is the least damaging when insulated properly.

Dont expect brilliant long lasting results though

I know, I think my other console has just been lucky. Do you think it's worth trying the washers first or just go straight for the oven?

washer and screws are damaging

washer and screws are damaging

Cool, thanks for the info. I actually fixed it by just applying pressure to the heatsinks. Not much pressure either. I don't know how long that will last though. Have had it on for a few hours anyway and seems fine for now. Console has old dashboard so is jtaggable :D Haven't done a jtag before so time to read up on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

All these diy repairs & kits will lessen the chances you have to fix the console. You may not have the liberty of 'seeing how long you can get out of it' after the repair. A reflow/reball isn't an option if the board/gpu is damaged.

• Advertisement

Cool, thanks for the info. I actually fixed it by just applying pressure to the heatsinks. Not much pressure either. I don't know how long that will last though. Have had it on for a few hours anyway and seems fine for now. Console has old dashboard so is jtaggable :D Haven't done a jtag before so time to read up on it

If your going to be modding it this is the point in time when I say have it fixed properly before you damage it,

As enternow said and as I've been saying all along these DIY fixes are damaging and will cause unrepairable damage warped gpu, ripped pads and a damaged board.

If you do mod the console you will want the console fixed properly at some point in time.
    At this point a proper fix wont work or it wont last as long as it should.

I appreciate all the input and I am taking it on board, I can see how it appears from the outside in and I'm not just ignoring all the good advice. The thing is I can't justify spending the money to have it reflowed (I have looked into it, I don't know anyone who does it locally and haven't found anyone who does it locally; I would have to pay either for petrol or postage and packaging bringing the tally to ~€60) right now. I have a slim console that is 100%, nothing wrong with it and hasn't been used much at all.

The jtaggable console I bought is in very good condition, it honestly looked new inside and out and hadn't even been opened before. Obviously there is an issue with it but I think these DIY fixes will get all the life out of it that I need. Currently, it has the original xclamps and nothing has been altered. If I do Jtag then I will replace the thermal paste with a better one as a precaution but everything else will remain the same.

TL;DR
    You guys are right, but I can't justify spending €60 when I don't game that much anymore and could use that money for other things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I appreciate all the input and I am taking it on board, I can see how it appears from the outside in and I'm not just ignoring all the good advice. The thing is I can't justify spending the money to have it reflowed (I have looked into it, I don't know anyone who does it locally and haven't found anyone who does it locally; I would have to pay either for petrol or postage and packaging bringing the tally to ~€60) right now. I have a slim console that is 100%, nothing wrong with it and hasn't been used much at all.

The jtaggable console I bought is in very good condition, it honestly looked new inside and out and hadn't even been opened before. Obviously there is an issue with it but I think these DIY fixes will get all the life out of it that I need. Currently, it has the original xclamps and nothing has been altered. If I do Jtag then I will replace the thermal paste with a better one as a precaution but everything else will remain the same.

TL;DR
    You guys are right, but I can't justify spending €60 when I don't game that much anymore and could use that money for other things.

So sell the console then and make your money back for a second hand slim or something; you're pretty much killing your JTAG with these "fixes" :)

So sell the console then and make your money back for a second hand slim or something; you're pretty much killing your JTAG with these "fixes" :)

I'd rather not do that though because I'd have to take a hit on the slim. It's pretty much brand new. I've gotten years out of a DIY fix (and it's still going), like I said I don't game all that much. I'd like to have the JTAG to play around with for a while but that's about it. It's just something fun to do imo. I enjoy farting around with consoles :)

With regards to the potential JTAG, I haven't actually altered anything on that console. Time will tell I suppose. I might make an arse of the JTAG anyway so that could be the end of it.

I have 2 consoles I fixed that I do intend on selling though, although xboxes don't seem to be going for much these days.

I'd rather not do that though because I'd have to take a hit on the slim. It's pretty much brand new. I've gotten years out of a DIY fix (and it's still going), like I said I don't game all that much. I'd like to have the JTAG to play around with for a while but that's about it. It's just something fun to do imo. I enjoy farting around with consoles :)

With regards to the potential JTAG, I haven't actually altered anything on that console. Time will tell I suppose. I might make an arse of the JTAG anyway so that could be the end of it.

I have 2 consoles I fixed that I do intend on selling though, although xboxes don't seem to be going for much these days.

There is a reason why second hand 360's dont go for much.
    Its down to people selling them with these DIY "fixes" and the consoles breaking 2 weeks down the line.

Most people dont take the risk on second hand consoles now because of this and the second hand consoles that do sell go cheap.

The only exception to this is RGH and jtag consoles

Advertisement