Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phat drive in slim RGH

• 09-03-2012 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Is it possible anymore to put a phat drive in a slim RGH ?
    I've tried sammys,hitatchis and lite-ons and everytime I get the play dvd error :mad:

The dvd key is right because its copied straight from the nand info

Any ideas ?

I thought rgh consoles don't care about firmware as long as the dvd key is right ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

Turns out this is down to something called a fcrt patch that is active on some of the newer slim consoles.

J runner can disable this :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The FCRT has a hash of the DVD drive firmware and can tell if it's been flashed, even with the correct DVD key. Disabling the FCRT patches isn't specific to jRunner, Dashlaunch had it for a while but removed that implementation due to a bug with 1175 drives but xeBuild has it so they all have it now :D

Just after finishing.... ahem "adapting" a phat drive to fit a slim.

Ten minutes with an angle grinder and job done :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just after finishing.... ahem "adapting" a phat drive to fit a slim.

Ten minutes with an angle grinder and job done :P

What about the bezel. Did you leave that on, or does a slim one clip straight onto a phat drive. I'm asking as I never actually looked to see if they are they have the same connection points.

What about the bezel. Did you leave that on, or does a slim one clip straight onto a phat drive. I'm asking as I never actually looked to see if they are they have the same connection points.

they have different grooves so the bezel wont fit.
    You have two options,
    swap the tray from the slim drive into the phat drive.

But I didn't have the original drive hence why I needed to mod a phat drive so I just glued the bezel on.

• Advertisement

they have different grooves so the bezel wont fit.
    You have two options,
    swap the tray from the slim drive into the phat drive.

But I didn't have the original drive hence why I needed to mod a phat drive so I just glued the bezel on.

What happened the original drive in anyway? Failed Kamikaze attempt.

What happened the original drive in anyway? Failed Kamikaze attempt.

Well I bought the console as a failed RGH (Red dot due to lifted CPU RST pad)
    The guy I bought the console from wanted €80 extra for the dvd drive and I wasn't prepared to spend that on top of the €40 I paid for the console when I wasn't sure if I could get the xbox working.

Basically I'm a cheapskate :pac:

EDIT
    Looks like he dropped his price.
    May buy the slim drive now if the price is right

Well I bought the console as a failed RGH (Red dot due to lifted CPU RST pad)
    The guy I bought the console from wanted €80 extra for the dvd drive and I wasn't prepared to spend that on top of the €40 I paid for the console when I wasn't sure if I could get the xbox working.

Basically I'm a cheapskate :pac:

EDIT
    Looks like he dropped his price.
    May buy the slim drive now if the price is right

You got a whole Slim for €40 well minus the drive. Not bad. Was he in Limerick as well?

You got a whole Slim for €40 well minus the drive. Not bad. Was he in Limerick as well?

yup :D
    along with av cables and a new controller

All I had to do was jump the FT4R2 pad to get it working

yup :D
    along with av cables and a new controller

All I had to do was jump the FT4R2 pad to get it working

Yes I was thinking it wouldn't be too bad of a fix. Still good bargain for you. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement