Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad & iPhone?

• 09-03-2012 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭

I've avoided the iPhone hype up to now and had planned on buying the Samsung Galaxy S2 since my trusty BlackBerry is on it's last legs. I've been seduced by the new iPad though and plan to buy once they go on sale here so i presume it's a no brainer and the iPhone is the sensible option?

Will it make a big difference to have 2 Apple products in terms of use/ease/sharing?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Hennybug wrote: »
    I've avoided the iPhone hype up to now and had planned on buying the Samsung Galaxy S2 since my trusty BlackBerry is on it's last legs. I've been seduced by the new iPad though and plan to buy once they go on sale here so i presume it's a no brainer and the iPhone is the sensible option?

Will it make a big difference to have 2 Apple products in terms of use/ease/sharing?

I've both, but I would suggest one at a time, if you can wait. Its all new to you, and would be terrible if you had both and hated them.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

I would recommend getting an iPad and then Samsung phone. I have had iPhone's in the past and find the android phones much more flexible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

pieface_ie wrote: »
    I would recommend getting an iPad and then Samsung phone. I have had iPhone's in the past and find the android phones much more flexible.

Thanks pieface - this is my preferred option so good to hear it's still a good option :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I have both and love both. Cross platform apps are very hand and the same os makes life very easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Since I got my iPad, I don't use my iPhone that much (or at least the iPhone specific features - for what I do with it, any smartphone would do).

So I would suggest as others have, get the iPad, see what you think and then decide if you really need an iPhone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bop1977

As Tom said i have both as well and only when my iPad gets nicked by the missus do I use the iPhone. The iPad is great for casual net surfing and Netflix.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

In contrast to some of the people above, I actually use my iPad less than my iPhone. Speed is probably the main reason why. My iPad 1 feels very sluggish compared to the 4S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Have both, love both. Then again, they're all I've ever known. So could well be missing out on other phone/tablet stuff. My bro in law has an iPhone but swears by his Samsung tablet. Like an earlier poster said I also use my iPhone less now that I have the iPad2 but it's so easy using the same OS, I also use an iMac for work etc so I'm a bit of an Apple whore so you may want to disregard my opinion!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

Thanks for all the responses, i think i'll go with the iPad as suggested and keep breathing life into the Blackberry till it finally dies :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

pieface_ie wrote: »

get the hell out of here you android loving hippy, this is the apple fanboy forum, there will be no speak of this nature.

But seriously OP, I would go for the iPhone 4s as once you buy an app for the iPhone, you also buy if for the iPad and any iOS device you own, if you have 2 different makes you are shooting yourself in the foot if you like any app in the sense that you have to buy them twice.

A lot of people say android is great because a lot of the apps are free, but this is no longer the case. Sure maybe angry birds is free, but that's about it.

The Apple app store has a much better range of apps then the android market, plus you can jailbreak you iPhone and open up a massive variety of other options for you phone.

I would say if you couldn't jailbreak you iPhone that I wouldn't bother, but the fact that you can makes it about 20 times better then android.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭squonk

There's also the fact that when Apple releases iOS 6.0 later this year, you can go home and have it installed on both your devices before you hit the hay (the update process was slow and inconvenient last time due to heavy demand) but I've heard Android users having to wait much longer to get updates for their devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

kjl wrote: »
    I would say if you couldn't jailbreak you iPhone that I wouldn't bother, but the fact that you can makes it about 20 times better then android.

Jailbreaking is a positive feature now? Having to jailbreak device to do anything makes it about 20 times worse is what you mean.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Actually, on a related note...

If you have an iPhone and an iPad are you supposed to use the same iTunes account for both? I assume so, so that you don't have to buy apps you've already paid for on one device.

But then how does that work with syncing, given you might want only some common apps on both?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yes, you should have the same iTunes/Apple ID account across all devices. As for syncing, that's a separate matter. iTunes recognises different devices and you can set what you want to sync.

Yes, you should have the same iTunes/Apple ID account across all devices. As for syncing, that's a separate matter. iTunes recognises different devices and you can set what you want to sync.

That makes sense, thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

What can you do on an iPad that you can't on an iPhone 4s ? I'm looking for a reason to buy one but can't see too many, I'm not into games or watching TV and movies online.

- Browse the web/email more comfortably than on a small screen...
    - View/organise/edit your photos in a proper environment...
    - Take advantage of multimedia apps (e.g. magazines) unavailable for iPhone...

That's what I intend to use mine for. Frankly, if I wasn't a couch surfer I probably wouldn't get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Thanks but I'm not sure that's enough to justify getting one, I need a new laptop so not sure which to get...

Advertisement