Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The John Paul Estate Kilrush

Options
  • 09-03-2012 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭

I would like to know the history behind this estate in Kilrush. For a small housing estate in a small West Clare town they seem to have more than their fair share of anti-social problems, much akin to larger towns and cities in Ireland.

My intention of this thread is not to point the finger or stigmatise the residents of the John Paul Estate but just to find out what went wrong here. How can a small estate come to where it is today?

link from googlemaps

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

Lock thread please :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

lovely houses boarded up,what a shame,nice green area:(

never been to the estate,but it has a notorious reputation,sadly.

cheap house going there http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/23-sycamore-drive-john-paul-estate-kilrush-co-clare/408391

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Well Kilrush itself isn't exactly known as the Beverly Hills of Clare.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I edited the thread title to reflect Kilrush cause there's another John Paul area in Ennis and I'm not sure about other towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Clareman wrote: »
    I edited the thread title to reflect Kilrush cause there's another John Paul area in Ennis and I'm not sure about other towns.

It's kinda ironic that the John Paul area in Ennis is also plagued by anti-social behaviour.

Maybe John Paul areas in Ireland are like Martin Luther King Boulevards in America. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

I would like to know the history behind this estate in Kilrush. For a small housing estate in a small West Clare town they seem to have more than their fair share of anti-social problems, much akin to larger towns and cities in Ireland.

My intention of this thread is not to point the finger or stigmatise the residents of the John Paul Estate but just to find out what went wrong here. How can a small estate come to where it is today?

link from googlemaps

Thew residents are the problem. Do not go there at night or even during the day. I remember delivering stuff there 15 years ago and getting pelted by young fellas with stones. Kilrush seems to have a higher number of scobes per head of population than other towns in Clare. Don't know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Lock thread please :cool:

Ah there's no need to do that.

This is a small forum and troublesome posts are very rare. I started this thread because I only recently had an experience in the JP estate. It wasn't an altogether negative one but I was slightly intimidated while I was there and amazed at how run-down the area was.

I was just hoping someone local might come across this thread and maybe educate me as to how and why this estate has gone so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

In fairness apart from those three or four houses the rest are very well looked after, nice lawns, pruned hedges. But to answer your question locating urban planning style housing estates in rural locations is in the large part to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

With any estate the reputation will always come down to the residents. Not to cast any aspersions on the residents in said estate but the buildings dont cause any trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Shakti wrote: »
    In fairness apart from those three or four houses the rest are very well looked after, nice lawns, pruned hedges. But to answer your question locating urban planning style housing estates in rural locations is in the large part to blame.
    3 or 4 houses???:eek: i took a street view of the estate last night,my mrs was also looking at the estate and we were both puzzled and shocked at all the houses boarded up,theres easily double and more houses boarded up.Although you may well be talking about the present day:confused:

Agree that some of the houses are pleasant and the green area is quiet big.

Can someone just clarify for me,Is it young vandals or gangs that ruin the estate? or is it more serious? id like to know as i find it a little puzzling that someone would suggest its a no go area for an outsider day or night:confused: what is intimidating about it? would your car be stoned?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

what is intimidating about it? would your car be stoned?:confused:

Well you wouldn't be passing by the estate on your way to somewhere so if you've no reason to be in there then I wouldn't see the point in going there.

I had to give someone a lift to JP Estate and wait out side a house for about ten minutes. Kids who should have been at school surrounded my car and were asking me all kinds of questions like who I was, how I knew such and such, how much I wanted for the car, did I want to buy a horse etc..
    After a while a couple of them got cheeky and one fella kicked my wingmirror. Then I heard a roar coming from another house and the kids scattered. I've spent time in some of the most deprived areas of Limerick and Sligo and thought it looked as bad as say Moyross or Cranmore.

3 or 4 houses???:eek: i took a street view of the estate last night,my mrs was also looking at the estate and we were both puzzled and shocked at all the houses boarded up,theres easily double and more houses boarded up.Although you may well be talking about the present day:confused:

Agree that some of the houses are pleasant and the green area is quiet big.

Can someone just clarify for me,Is it young vandals or gangs that ruin the estate? or is it more serious? id like to know as i find it a little puzzling that someone would suggest its a no go area for an outsider day or night:confused: what is intimidating about it? would your car be stoned?:confused:

It was just a conservative estimate, I don't want to judge people on the basis of google street view, just seems a bit unfair to the people who live their lives there.
    I grew up in a place just like that in the 80's and it was bleak so when I see estates like this I also see the people who struggle to live quietly in the face of an unsupportive environment and hostility.
    There is the hostile anti-social element yes but at least its out in the open, were as the shit that rolls under the streets and up the gravel drive ways of the suited and booted D4 and Killiney Hills residentia has disintegrated many more families and boarded up many more houses than the abandoned and hostile youth of a west clare Housing estate ever will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

http://www.clarechampion.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=509:kilrush-house-of-despair&catid=67:human-interest&Itemid=60

These type of people is whats wrong.The council has to take some blame but living in your own filth doesnt help either

Oh "her bad leg"

Just looked this estate on streetview and not sure how big it is but there is alot of boarded up houses for such a small area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

Google street view is from 2008-2009, it's 2012 now, alot of the houses have been cleaned up and renovated, this thread seems like a thread for just bashing the place and its people. There are far worse places in Clare noted for bad activites eg Shannon and Ennis, if I started a thread on these places would it be locked ? :D sorry for the rant

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Radiosurfer

Just wanted to chime in here as I've worked in the estate and only had positive experiences. I was working with kids and teenagers and could not say enough good things about them. Great kids, really bright and competent and great fun to work with.
    I didn't get to know any of the older residents but I had my car parked in the estate while I worked in the Community Centre and never had anything happen to it. The people there get a really bad rap and it's no wonder they give attitude to strangers as they're not stupid, they know what the majority of people think of them. It's like any other socially excluded area in the country, it only takes one or two nut jobs to give the whole place a bad name. On the wider subject of Kilrush I think it has a reputation that is outdated and undeserved. I've lived here for 6 years and never had or seen any trouble. The people I spoke to about the reputation say it mainly dates from the 90's and a lot of the trouble makers from then are now gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The town has really gone downhill since mid 2013.
    Its quite scary for some.of the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭minnow

Carnacalla wrote: »

That's a very general statement. In what way?

minnow wrote: »
    That's a very general statement. In what way?

Well no there are still alot of nice people.
    Im not willing to share what i mean

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Nonscence. It's a much better place since the era of the Bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭vanessamee

finbarrk wrote: »
    Nonscence. It's a much better place since the era of the Bulls.
    I think it gotten worse since the bulls.

The bulls never bothered anyone in the estate.

I dont know why you think this is the case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭judosean2005

i grew up in JP estate.
    And i guess like any other estate, it had its share of difficult families.
    But 'in the era of the Bulls' was a difficult time for the TOWN but not for the estate.
    In fact, JP estate was a much better place back then.Very few times have we had any issues with any member of the estate.

But as stated, Kilrush has a bad reputation, But when Crime watch( or another crime show) few years back voted Kilrush as the worst town in Ireland . Reputation is always tough to bring back.
    But since JP estate had the work done few years back it is far more wide open and clearer then it was.

i grew up in JP estate.
    And i guess like any other estate, it had its share of difficult families.
    But 'in the era of the Bulls' was a difficult time for the TOWN but not for the estate.
    In fact, JP estate was a much better place back then.Very few times have we had any issues with any member of the estate.
    But as stated, Kilrush has a bad reputation, But when Crime watch( or another crime show) few years back voted Kilrush as the worst town in Ireland . Reputation is always tough to bring back.
    But since JP estate had the work done few years back it is far more wide open and clearer then it was.[/quote

I understand what your are saying but what ever went on with the bulls kilrush has groups of people who wouldnt be a patch on the bulls.tbh I would rather the bulls anyday than the crowd who have kilrish destroyed atm

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Shadow Walker

I know John Paul Estate fairly well. I grew up on a council estate much the same and I visit the estate regularly and have done so for a number of years. I regularly park in the estate without problem and I have walked through the estate both night and day without any difficulty.

Though it does have its problems, its no better or worse than other estates in other towns. It has a handful of individuals that would cause problems in heaven but it also has a lot of ordinary decent people who just want to raise families and get on with their lives. A lot of people like to exaggerate or misrepresent the estate, like the inclusion of an article from a local paper about 3 men robbing an old man in West Clare. Neither the elderly man nor the three robbers lived , worked or had any connection with the estate.

John Paul Estate is an estate with a large number of young families and yes, a small handful of bad people. It does not deserve the bad reputation it has. It's reputation is not helped by negative comments from people referring to Google Maps , irrelevant newspaper articles , and property adverts for their information
    Believe me this estate and the people in it deserve better.

The people of kilrush are just wiping the.problem around west clare

I know John Paul Estate fairly well. I grew up on a council estate much the same and I visit the estate regularly and have done so for a number of years. I regularly park in the estate without problem and I have walked through the estate both night and day without any difficulty.

Though it does have its problems, its no better or worse than other estates in other towns. It has a handful of individuals that would cause problems in heaven but it also has a lot of ordinary decent people who just want to raise families and get on with their lives. A lot of people like to exaggerate or misrepresent the estate, like the inclusion of an article from a local paper about 3 men robbing an old man in West Clare. Neither the elderly man nor the three robbers lived , worked or had any connection with the estate.

John Paul Estate is an estate with a large number of young families and yes, a small handful of bad people. It does not deserve the bad reputation it has. It's reputation is not helped by negative comments from people referring to Google Maps , irrelevant newspaper articles , and property adverts for their information
    Believe me this estate and the people in it deserve better.
    This has to be the best post in this tread atm

Its the avtivites that give the estate the bad name.
    If u need some weed, you can get some within an hour.

Your not supposed to advertise on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Shadow Walker

Lol, if that's what it takes to get a bad name every street in Ireland is doomed to a terrible reputation. In the last two weeks €1,500,000 in weed has been confiscated in Clare alone. ( None of the 5 locations were in Kilrush )

The biggest problem the Estate and Kilrush have can be summed up by the old saying "Give a dog a bad name and hang him" . As I say , the estate and the town deserve better

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

An hour! Some estates in Ennis and you would have it in 10 mins

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I would say that is the same for practically every town in Ireland, unfortunately.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement