Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germany Cuts Off Social Welfare To 14 E.U Countries Citizens

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

dj jarvis wrote: »
    your forgetting that its not allowed ........ unless you are germany

...then how come we've been doing it since day one?

• Site Banned Posts: 76 ✭✭RXMPS

every EU country should cut off welfare to everybody not born there.

Why not global?

If you paid taxes you should get welfare.No matter where you are from.

If your Irish and paid no taxes you get **** all, if your slovak and paid taxes you get welfare.

All these fella's with big mouths like yourself drive me mad.

Jobs for Irish, no dole for the poles etc.

You know what I would love if Australia, Canada, US, all our major destinations for work, told ous to **** off and decided jobs for Australians, Canadians, American's etc.

We would be ****ed.

We are nobodies, nobodies.

It's about time people like yourself realised that!!

We are nothing, having nothing and without foreign investment we would be up **** creek.

We should keep our mouths shut and be good little boys, before someone calls our bluff and then what?

What are we gonna do?

German's can do whatever the **** they want, we can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Germany has no qualms about changing the rules, or indeed just breaking them, as they see fit.

Meanwhile we are behaving like a good little puppy afraid to move an inch in case we get barked at.

We are led by spineless wimps.

Perhaps if Ireland paid its way, it could have more say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Nodin wrote: »
    ...then how come we've been doing it since day one?

doing what ?

break the budget rules ? the Germans done it first , the rest followed

stop welfare for new migrants ? yea you are correct , its 2 years before a EU citizen can claim ( correct me if im wrong please :-) )
    but its it not the case that if you work 20 weeks in a prsi job you can then go onto SW

most country's are far stricter
    i know of a irish man married to a finnish woman and with a Finnish citizen child who paid tax while working in France moved to Finland could not claim or receive nothing - he got no help yet he was a tax paying EU citizen married with a dependent to Finnish citizens
    according to EU rules he should have been helped, but they just blanked him full stop.

now i know that it is no where near as severe a regime here ONCE you have some prsi stamps , once your in your in

not so in the northern country's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 carl.r

You can understand why the germans are doing this. You have to look after your own. We as people do it in our own lives and countries must do it too.

Its 18 months of PRSI stamps, afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

After being on the dole for 6 month I got a job in Germany. (East) I am here from Oct 2011 and would not have dreamed of moving here if I did not loss my Job which I had for 11 years in Ireland. Germany will need 400,000 workers before the end of 2015 as there is a big problem with people of working age here.

I am lucky in that I got a job which pays for German classes etc. If someone is reading this I wants to get out of the mess that is Ireland today. Start learning a bit of German & look for jobs in the west Germany. Yes I am in the east but I would only say work here if you get a well paid job before you moved.

As for SW here I hope I never have to find out but I am paying tax, heath care, pension, unemployment insurance, one off tax when you start a job, church tax etc etc etc. Germany is looking after its own people but if you have a skill it will look after you too if you learn a bit of Germany & stay looking for work here.

Good luck & think positive :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

this only brings germany into line with the rules Ireland already has.

the "Harz 4" dole is only for long term unemployed and for people who dont qualify for the dole through their stamps and its a pittance, 80 euro a week and out of that you have to pay a % of the rent not covered by rent allowance.

When youve paid for expenses you barely have enough cash to buy food.

(BTW, the dole you are entitled to due to paying your stamps is 12 months @ 65% of your salary so very generous for the short term unemployed between jobs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

German women are sexy and confident with their long blond hair and striking blue eyes. Certainly good partner material.

I can see why social welfare in Germany would be appealing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

gar32 wrote: »
    After being on the dole for 6 month I got a job in Germany. (East) I am here from Oct 2011 and would not have dreamed of moving here if I did not loss my Job which I had for 11 years in Ireland. Germany will need 400,000 workers before the end of 2015 as there is a big problem with people of working age here.

I am lucky in that I got a job which pays for German classes etc. If someone is reading this I wants to get out of the mess that is Ireland today. Start learning a bit of German & look for jobs in the west Germany. Yes I am in the east but I would only say work here if you get a well paid job before you moved.

As for SW here I hope I never have to find out but I am paying tax, heath care, pension, unemployment insurance, one off tax when you start a job, church tax etc etc etc. Germany is looking after its own people but if you have a skill it will look after you too if you learn a bit of Germany & stay looking for work here.

What type of skills are they looking for in Germany? Is it mostly engineering jobs or what?

I'd love to live there but my degree wouldn't be in demand there. Would there be any skills that one could attain by doing a 1 or 2 year postgrad that would be in demand Deutschland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Ah yeah ... I thought the religion question was a bit weird, filled it out and then realised it was for taxes.

Took about 4 months to get out of it, got out of it by saying I didn't understand the form, I said I thought it meant what were you Christened not what is your religion. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭JoeGil

kraggy wrote: »
    What type of skills are they looking for in Germany? Is it mostly engineering jobs or what?

I'd love to live there but my degree wouldn't be in demand there. Would there be any skills that one could attain by doing a 1 or 2 year postgrad that would be in demand Deutschland?

I would think the skills required are similar to those in Ireland with more of an emphasis on Engineering and less on Financial Services.
    Since nuclear energy is being phased out, alternative energy should be a growth area. With an aging population, healthcare and medicine should be in demand. A lot of old buildings should see demand for construction, renovation and insulation skills.

Well.

At least they make nice beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

In Germany speaking German & having any Degree should get you a job for sure. Unemployment in the west is 4%. Use Linkedin and start following German companies you would like to work for on it. But most of all Learn German!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Do us a favour there Biggins and tell me where in the treaty(s) it states they had to give state benefits to people who arrive looking for work.

Is it not part of the EU regulations, that if your in the EU, you can claim your benefits in another additional EU country?
    I know a few that do this.
    Your rights to claim benefits, tax credits or other financial support are protected by social security arrangements between the UK and other countries in the European Economic Area (EEA). This means you may be able to get UK benefits while living abroad in certain countries.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/BeginnersGuideToBenefits/DG_10035686
    Most people assume that they are no longer entitled to their jobseekers allowance/unemployment benefit when they emigrate, however EU citizens are actually still eligible for unemployment benefits in most circumstances, as long as they stay within the EU.

If you are unemployed and move to another EU country for work, you can claim unemployment benefit in your home country while you search for a new job in another EU country. You may claim for up to three months.

http://www.spunout.ie/health/Work/Finding-a-job/Transferring-unemployment-benefits-to-other-EU-countries-

For Ireland alone:
    If you move to live or work in a country covered by EU Regulations, this means that for social security benefits or services, you are entitled to be treated in the same way as the nationals in the EEA country that you move to. On a practical level, this means that you and your family are entitled to apply for any benefits or assistance available in the country in which you reside. If you are applying for insurance-based payments, any contributions made in other EEA countries should be taken into account.

Before you leave Ireland

You can get forms E104 and U1 (formerly E301) if you are moving within the EU/EEA - see 'How to apply' below. The U1 is called a portable document and it provides details of your Irish social insurance record. You can use them when claiming sickness, maternity or unemployment benefits abroad.

If you don’t bring your E104 or U1 with you, the country you have moved to will contact Irish authorities and obtain a record of your insurance contributions when you apply to them for unemployment, sickness or maternity benefits. A request from another EU member state for your social insurance record will be prioritised by the Department of Social Protection so that you don’t lose out on any benefits due to you when abroad.

If you are returning to Ireland from a country in the EEA, you should bring an E104 and U1 form back with you as they will provide details of the insurance contributions you made in that country. The forms are presented at the relevant social security agency of the country you are living in when you are making a claim.

Transfer of Jobseeker's Benefit abroad

If you go to another EEA country to look for work you may be able to transfer your Jobseeker's Benefit (JB) for up to 13 weeks. You must be getting Jobseeker's Benefit for 4 weeks before you can transfer it to another EEA coutry. From 1 May 2010 new EU Regulations came into effect (pdf) which mean that if you apply to transfer your Jobseeker's Benefit, it will be paid directly to you. You will still be required to register with the employment services of the country where you have gone to look for work within a week.

The 13-week period of payment may be extended to 6 months in exceptional circumstances. Also you may now transfer your JB payment more than once while you are unemployed provided you do not exceed the maximum period of 13 weeks (6 months if extended).

If you are leaving Ireland to move to Northern Ireland or Britain your Social Welfare Local Office will issue you with the Form U2 (formerly Form E303) which you take to the UK social services. If you are moving to another EU country the Department of Social Protection will send the U2 form to your new address in that EU country.

http://www.losingyourjob.ie/leaving-ireland/transferring_your_social_security.html.en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Biggins wrote: »
    Is it not part of the EU regulations, that if your in the EU, you can claim your benefits in another additional EU country?
    I know a few that do this.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/BeginnersGuideToBenefits/DG_10035686

http://www.spunout.ie/health/Work/Finding-a-job/Transferring-unemployment-benefits-to-other-EU-countries-

Paid from your own Government, not the other country.

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Paid from your own Government, not the other country.

Thats fair enough - thanks for that clarity.
    It was a genuine question I asked - not an attempt to be confrontational with Nodin (whom I have respect for).

Biggins wrote: »
    Thats fair enough - thanks for that clarity.
    It was a genuine question I asked - not an attempt to be confrontational with Nodin (whom I have respect for).

As explained by Cool mo d.

As explained by Cool mo d.

...And greatly appreciated.
    An important point indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

In Germany speaking German & having any Degree should get you a job for sure. Unemployment in the west is 4%. Use Linkedin and start following German companies you would like to work for on it. But most of all Learn German!!!

Indeed, and do it better than this fellow has learned English.:):)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh5xu35bAxA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

That seems awfully similar to Ireland's policy, IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Britain should cut off dole to the Irish, Ireland would sink under a wave of people within a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I'm trying not to Learn German, its f*cking with my Dutch.

Advertisement