Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Village in Kilcoole

• 09-03-2012 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I heard that there was a lost village of ruins somewhere near Kilcoole. Anyone have any info about it? Where is it? How do you get there? any pics? any history? anything at all?
    Thanks guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

You're not thinking by any chance of Delgany? There's an account in the Ordnance Survey Letters:Wicklow (1838-40) of a coastal or island village called Delgany or Deilginis, that dissapeared in a storm. But I think I've read elsewhere of this being disputed.

Apart from that, maybe it's Glenroe you're after!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Well holy God

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Hi have no pics of it but it just a runied house(a large one).

As far as I remember from my younger days there are two ways to get to get to it:

One is going to kilcoole beach and walking towards Greystones there is a gap in a field where you can walk across and there is a gate that you can climb over to bring you into the back of it. Sorry for not being more specfic but you will find it if you are looking for it.

If you go down past Glenroe farm and follow the road to the end there is a big set of gates which are locked that you will have to climb over. you can see the ruins from the gate.

When I was younger(bout 15 years ago) we use to go there drinking. The last time I was there about 5 years ago there was a lot of discarded cans and rubbish there so kids still go there so may be best to avoid it at night time.

Have fun discovering, I think the most fun part is trying to get into it!

Found this pic of it on Fliker

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Eggle

Thats great, thanks Orchid. Does anyone know what the history of the place is? was it a house/school/factory?

The only thing I know about it, that it was a House, and it had some outbuilding that the servents use to live in.
    If you could find out the townland that it is in, I would imagine you would find out the rest.

I was thinking that the only townland I can find for the area is Ballynerrin but that still a bit off from it.

EDIT: Was talking to a friend, apparently the area is called BallyGannon.

Edit 2 : found this short article http://www.gardenofireland.com/ballygannon_estate.php

Annnnnnnnnnnnd some more here on Flikr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

there is a big set of gates which are locked that you will have to climb over. you can see the ruins from the gate.

Is this not deemend trespassing then ??

gates are generally locked for a reason.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Is this not deemend trespassing then ??

gates are generally locked for a reason.

Yeah it is private property. The gate are the orginal entrance to the estate so were not put there to stop people going in now if you know what I mean. There are no signs to say you are tresspassing and I have no idea who owns the land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Oh, Ballygannon House ruins - you'll find it marked and named on this map we publish
    http://www.eastwestmapping.ie/wicklow-east

plus a lot of other odds & ends of interesting places - and if you're wondering why you can't buy it Kilcoole or Greystones, go and ask your local supermarket/ newsagent to support us by stocking it.. I tried..

Actually Fishers in Newtown might have a copy as they got in some last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you can see those ruins clearly from the nature walk in Glenroe Farm.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

I Remember going here as a Kid There where Chimney Pots sticking out of the Field really strange you can get in the left of the Main gates through a little bit of a wooded area from what i remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Eggle

Thanks for all the info guys, we found it no problem. BarryD I will be sure to make a point of asking the local shops to stock your book, it looks great!

Advertisement