Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Won't Play DVDs

Options
  • 09-03-2012 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,872 ✭✭✭✭

Today, I tried playing a DVD on my laptop but it doesn't seem to be working. I've tried a few different DVDs so it's definitely the laptop that has the problem.

When I put the DVD into the computer nothing will happen. When I go to Computer, it comes up as DVD RW Drive (F: ) Audio CD. I've trying right clicking on it and selecting play but the only thing that happens is that iTunes pops up.

Does anyone have any idea what would be causing this and how to fix it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭cozar

i will be interested in replies that you get. have exactly same problem and cant solve it. i have an acer extensa laptop and i can upload videos from camcorder and they seem to be on the dvd but i only get sound. i think maybe i should be viewing them from some programme or something???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Suas11 wrote: »
    Today, I tried playing a DVD on my laptop but it doesn't seem to be working. I've tried a few different DVDs so it's definitely the laptop that has the problem.

When I put the DVD into the computer nothing will happen. When I go to Computer, it comes up as DVD RW Drive (F: ) Audio CD. I've trying right clicking on it and selecting play but the only thing that happens is that iTunes pops up.

Does anyone have any idea what would be causing this and how to fix it?

You could also try going into Control Panel --> Autoplay. Under "DVD Movie", pick "Play DVD Movie using Windows Media Player" and click "Save". Put the DVD movie inside the drive and try again.

If that doesn't work, maybe your system codecs may not be working. To check that it isn't a hardware issue, download VLC and try playing them with that piece of software,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,872 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

You could also try going into Control Panel --> Autoplay. Under "DVD Movie", pick "Play DVD Movie using Windows Media Player" and click "Save". Put the DVD movie inside the drive and try again.

If that doesn't work, maybe your system codecs may not be working. To check that it isn't a hardware issue, download VLC and try playing them with that piece of software,

I tried it and it didn't work. When I put in the DVD, nothing happened. I went into Window Media Player and the DVD came up as Unknown (F: ). I clicked on it but again, nothing happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Suas11 wrote: »
    I tried it and it didn't work. When I put in the DVD, nothing happened. I went into Window Media Player and the DVD came up as Unknown (F: ). I clicked on it but again, nothing happened.

Give VLC a try so. Once it's installed, go to Media --> Open Disc... --> Play. VLC uses its own codecs, so you'll know then whether it's software or hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

I had this problem a couple of weeks ago and this is how I sorted it.

I clicked on the "start" button.

I typed "troubleshooting" into the search box and clicked on it when it displayed.

I then clicked on "hardware and sound".

Under the "device" heading click on "playing and burning cd's etc...."

click "next" and just follow the suggestions.

It reinstalled some software/drivers on my laptop and my dvd player now works!

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭cozar

duh... needed windows media player to play my dvds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Don't know, if it is of relevance, but out-of-the-box Windows XP does not play DVDs. WMP doesn't have a DVD codec. If you have installed a 3rd party DVD player software (i.e. PowerDVD, WinDVD), WMP will use their codec.

Other than that, some media players come with libdvdcss, an open source library to unscramble DVD encryption (i.e. VLC, SMPlayer).

Windows 7 does play DVDs out of the box.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Torqay wrote: »
    Don't know, if it is of relevance, but out-of-the-box Windows XP does not play DVDs. WMP doesn't have a DVD codec. If you have installed a 3rd party DVD player software (i.e. PowerDVD, WinDVD), WMP will use their codec.

Other than that, some media players come with libdvdcss, an open source library to unscramble DVD encryption (i.e. VLC, SMPlayer).

Windows 7 does play DVDs out of the box.
    I think the Media Center editions of XP do include a codec like with Vista/7, although that product didn't have the most large install base :P . Many OEMs did ship machines with MCE for a period though

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭timesnap

Have you tried fix it?it is an official microsoft diagnose and possibly repair troubleshooter, it sometimes fix's this problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

other possible cause is dirt on the small piece of 'glass' that reads the DVD/CD,it should be cleaned with a kit that can be bought in most PC stores.

sometimes it is as simple as the ribbon that moves the reader across the disc gets jammed and a gentle tug on it will put things right,if unlucky it might be that the ribbon just cannot be made to work again by someone untrained.

There is another problem that when Autoplay is set to start when a DVD is installed stops working,it cannot be fixed without changing registry entries,that's really for experts or the whole operating system is corrupted.

one other suggestion is click the start button, select computer or my computer on XP, left click and on it and you will see your DVD/CD drive listed.
    right click the drive and then left click run or install programme this will start a DVD if Autoplay is not functioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Celtotec Hosting

You could use another player which would have the codex's you need.
    try this player: Here

• Advertisement
Advertisement