Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you pay your tea and coffee at breaktime? If so, how much?

• 09-03-2012 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Huge aggro in my school at the minute. The bill for tea/coffee per school year has jumped from €60 to €80. I have heard some schools don't charge teachers for it.
    We have 48 teachers. It covers tea/coffee/milk and cheap rich tea buscuits.I think €80 is a bit steep. :( What do you pay in your school?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

We all pay according to what we use, so say sugar and milk, or milk and coffee etc. Budget doesn't stretch to biccies. Teachers who want decaf or some special milk bring their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Laura.Lee

We all pay according to what we use, so say sugar and milk, or milk and coffee etc. Budget doesn't stretch to biccies. Teachers who want decaf or some special milk bring their own.

What do you pay yearly? Can you give an example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

We used to pay the canteen woman to make it, but felt it was too expensive and the coffee was muck. Now, everyone brings their own tea or coffee and those who use milk pay E10 twice a year for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

We do along the same lines as implausible. Tea/coffee/sugar brought in by those who use them, and milk paid for termly by those who use it. If anybody wants something nice they bring it in themselves.

€60 sounds crazy, let alone €80!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

We pay 30 euro a year for tea/coffee/sugar and have a milk roster where we take turns bringing it in. Anyone who wants biscuits or anything special brings them in themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

About 30 per year each if you have tea/coffee and use milk and sugar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

€30 a year but tea milk and sugar only. Coffee drinkers bring their own. No biccies. €80 seems outrageous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We used to put into a kitty but the usual happened with a few paying and far more swigging the tea and coffee. Now we all bring in our own and throw out gallons of milk/cheese/something in between every couple of weeks.

I was in a school recently which had a Nespresso machine and all the staff who wanted coffee brought in their own capsules. Mmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭looksee

One person volunteers to collect each year, and one of the cleaning ladies manages it. They ask for €10 slightly less than twice a year (there is usually an overrun). This buys tea, coffee (instant and ground) milk, sugar, a few herbal and green teas, and the occasional carton of butter/spread. There would be between 60 and 70 paying in. You can have as many cuppas as you wish. Part-timers can opt to pay in €5 but not many do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

We pay a couple of times a year , we initially give 20euro towards tea and coffee, then if it runs out, depending on how long is left in the year we give another 10 or 20 euro, usually there's a surplus for the next September, giving us a few weeks before we have to pay again.

Milk is usually what is left over from the classroom ( the kids get it free) and if anyone wants their own special
    Milk ie semi or skimmed milk then they bring it in themselves.

We bring our own lunches n biscuits aren't provided out of the kitty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Laura.Lee wrote: »
    Huge aggro in my school at the minute. The bill for tea/coffee per school year has jumped from €60 to €80. I have heard some schools don't charge teachers for it.
    We have 48 teachers. It covers tea/coffee/milk and cheap rich tea buscuits.I think €80 is a bit steep. :( What do you pay in your school?

every school does it differently and I for one would not dream of using tea and coffee every day and not paying for it. one school I was in posted a list to name and shame of those who did not pay the annual 80 euro. ours asks for 10 euro every now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It causes a bit of aggro in my school as well. It's €15 a month I think. It used to be €10. It covers tea, coffee, milk, sugar and biscuits. One of the cleaners who also runs the school shop buys in everything every week. Like other people have said, there are some who use it and don't pay.

I opted out years ago because I don't drink coffee and rarely drink tea and generally never at school because I move between two different buildings, and I eat enough rubbish as it is so not paying in means I won't have an excuse to eat even more biscuits.

I was asked a few years ago to pay up 'because every pays to use it' when I first opted out. I wasn't being scabby but I didn't see why I should pay €15 per month for something I don't ever use. A number of other teachers have opted out since.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

we pay 70 e. one 35e in sept and the remainder 35e in jan. there is a staff of approx 70 teachers. that is for milk, tea, coffee. no extras.
    the secretary collects it- no transparency with accounts or boook keeping allowed!! Also caretakers and evening cleaners do not contribute but use and take as they wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

We don't pay a red cent. School provides tea and coffee. No treats though. I reckon if there was a hint of us being asked to pay there'd be uproar.

Its hard to see how we can do it for €20 each for the year for around 60 people and others are being asked for €70? We don't have biscuits out of it but it covers a good bit more than basic tea, coffee, milk and sugar.

One of the cleaning ladies buys the supplies and gives the receipts to the collection person, but no-one ever bothers asking for accounts.

We do have a social club which pays for bunches of flowers for sick people/ new baby congratulations/ sympathy cards etc. It is €4 a month and also subsidises the Christmas party and occasional treats for halloween/patricks day etc as well as at least one glorious 'scone day' (huge warm scones with jam and cream) per half term. Every now and again - maybe once a week - someone will bring in a cake which is cut into teeny portions and enjoyed by all. Looking at it, we do have a very civilized and amiable set up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

22 on staff in my school and we pay 60 euro per year each (covers tea/coffee +milk and sugar)........it used to be 100 but that included biscuits/cakes rediculous paying 40 euro each per year for sweet stuff now anyone who wants them brings their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

as a rule I go along with whatever the system is and do not lose any sleep over the discrepancies. its less hassle and I would spend the same amount on a night out. at least I get something for my money unlike the Teaching Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wivy

we pay €50 at beginning of year for tea/coffee/milk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Laura.Lee wrote: »

Has anyone in your school actually done the maths on this!!!!

€19 odd will get you 600 barrys one cup tea bags which is about 3 cups a day.
    surely the other €60 couldn't be milk and sugar could it!!

Reckon you should check your supplier maybe and buy in bulk...or else bring your own... Although trying to break free from a syndicate in a school can be like crossing a picket line in some places..

Two questions!

Why the increase of € 20?(maybe people are leaving syndicate!)

Would you be frowned upon if you went solo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

jonseyblub wrote: »
    We don't pay a red cent. School provides tea and coffee. No treats though. I reckon if there was a hint of us being asked to pay there'd be uproar.

That's a nice sweet deal! But in reality someone in picking up the tab for you.

We pay €50 once a year for the tea, sugar, milk, chocolate and plain digestives. I don't think it's excessive at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I wonder are Google, Facebook and Intel charging for the tea. :D
    Last school we had to pay I think €10 every month. We did get ourselves plenty of treats though.

I wonder are Google, Facebook and Intel charging for the tea. :D
    Bet they aren't bag packing, collecting Tesco vouchers and holding cakesales to pay for basic resources either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

We dont pay for tea, coffee or biscuits.

People bake and bring in stuff a few times a week aswell.

great set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

doc_17 wrote: »
    Yes the school is picking up the tab but if we were to charge for all the free time we give up for after school events/school trips etc I reckon it'd cost way more than €20-€30 per year so I reckon they come out the best from that deal!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

jonseyblub wrote: »
    doc_17 wrote: »
    Yes the school is picking up the tab but if we were to charge for all the free time we give up for after school events/school trips etc I reckon it'd cost way more than €20-€30 per year so I reckon they come out the best from that deal!!

Yeah true. Wondering should all the rest of us do that as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

€40, €20 before Christmas, same after.

Op... Was there any reason for the increase in charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Laura.Lee

Armelodie wrote: »
    Op... Was there any reason for the increase in charges?

The kitty is empty!

Thank you for all your replies. Made for very interesting reading! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

20eu per year for milk, coffee seems to be 'on the house' - also, 50eu for social subscription but that's not for coffee

20/167= about 12c per day....hmmm that's pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

We pay around 60 euro per year for tea, coffee, sugar and milk. (no biccies). Our milk bill is huge and it really annoys me when I see certain staff members drinking great mugs of milk with their lunches and breakfast cereal. That's not what it's for!

boogle wrote: »
    We pay around 60 euro per year for tea, coffee, sugar and milk. (no biccies). Our milk bill is huge and it really annoys me when I see certain staff members drinking great mugs of milk with their lunches and breakfast cereal. That's not what it's for!

And no-one has called them out on it? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

boogle wrote: »

Sorry, but it hardly matters under the greater scheme of things, maybe ye would all have to pay 58/59 euro if they didnt use this extra milk. Some people use less milk in their coffee than others too....its just life !!

Here's one for the Revenue Comissioners...

If the school provides the Tea/Coffee/Milk shouldn't the teachers pay benefit in Kind?

Armelodie wrote: »
    Here's one for the Revenue Comissioners...

If the school provides the Tea/Coffee/Milk shouldn't the teachers pay benefit in Kind?
    Most companies in Ireland provide this free of charge, so would be interesting to see it challenged.

Advertisement