Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invalid security hash, redirection cannot continue

Options
  • 09-03-2012 10:00pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I'm having a problem with links to a user's site in airsoft retailers.

(The user in question is a paid-up retailer and therefore entitled to post these links)

Post in question is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77510661&postcount=4383

If I click on any of the "flecktarn" / "olive" / "black" links in the post then I get:
    Invalid security hash, redirection cannot continue

If I middle click them (to open in a new tab) then they work fine.

Is this a boards issue or an issue with the user's site?

If it's not boards, any pointers as to why this is is happening?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

It's a boards issue. To stop people using our redirect script for nefarious reasons (e.g to strip referrer tags off visits to illegal sites) we've got a security hash for URLs posted on boards. If you try to throw a URL into our redirect script with an invalid (or no) hash, then you'll get that error. Obviously since the link you're clicking is posted on boards you shouldn't be seeing that error at all. Will look into it for you on Monday :)

In short, that's an invalid URL since there's a space between the final two words ("Tactical Vest"). In URLs spaces should be replaced with a + ("Tactical+Vest"). Of course, it still works since browsers are so smart...so, so smart :'(

There's a fix in for this, should go up some time this afternoon after which point links should work with plain old left-click :)

Thanks for the bug report

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Thanks for the explanation Danny,

It's still throwing the error as of now though. :)

Hi Steve,

The fix didn't go live yet, I got busy this afternoon. I'll get it pushed for you tomorrow, when I mark the bug as resolved you'll know it's live :)

Danny

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

No worries, thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi Steve,

The fix is live, if there are any issues please let me know.

Danny

Seems fine now, thanks for sorting it. :)

/bug.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I'm having this issue as well now!?

Is it a bug or am I just a tech-thicko who can't link properly?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

Hanley wrote: »
    I'm having this issue as well now!?

Is it a bug or am I just a tech-thicko who can't link properly?!

It's most likely not your fault.

However, not providing a link to an example of where it's happening is most definitely your fault ;)

It's most likely not your fault.

However, not providing a link to an example of where it's happening is most definitely your fault ;)

Touche!!

See my sig below - not working in Chrome running on a Mac, or IE running on Windows.

Tried clicking the thread starter's sig link too and that wasn't working either :)

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    Touche!!

See my sig below - not working in Chrome running on a Mac, or IE running on Windows.

Tried clicking the thread starter's sig link too and that wasn't working either :)

You will have to edit your signature and re-save it.

Go to: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editsignature

Add a full stop or something at the end of your sig. Save it - job done. If you don't want the full stop, remove it. You must actually change the contents of the text-box in some way, just going to the link above and hitting save won't work :)

You will have to edit your signature and re-save it.

Go to: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editsignature

Add a full stop or something at the end of your sig. Save it - job done. If you don't want the full stop, remove it. You must actually change the contents of the text-box in some way, just going to the link above and hitting save won't work :)

All resolved. Thanks for that!! You guys don't get enough credit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Just got the same error when clicking on the link in Freddie59's sig in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056580206

JohnK wrote: »
    Just got the same error when clicking on the link in Freddie59's sig in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056580206

Yes, which is to be expected because he hasn't followed the above steps. You can thank the way vBulletin stores signatures for the hassle this causes.

Anyway, for anybody else who has this trouble simply do the steps above by re-saving your signature and it will be fine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement