Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad screen repair problems

• 09-03-2012 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    Looking for advice. I got my broken ipad2 screen repaired with repairmyipad.ie I'm now having intermittent screen problems where its like the buttons get stuck for example when you hit a then it appears twice, tapping on g brings up a y as well and every now and then the thing just goes mental with taps all over the screen. They charged me 156e and never said I might have issues.
    I'm not sure where to go from here. I assume I'm entitled to get my money back with a botched repair? If I've had it repaired elsewhere can I go back to apple with it and pay them for a repair instead? The 256e with apple now looks better if it means I can get it working properly?
    Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

Hi all
    Looking for advice. I got my broken ipad2 screen repaired with repairmyipad.ie I'm now having intermittent screen problems where its like the buttons get stuck for example when you hit a then it appears twice, tapping on g brings up a y as well and every now and then the thing just goes mental with taps all over the screen. They charged me 156e and never said I might have issues.
    I'm not sure where to go from here. I assume I'm entitled to get my money back with a botched repair? If I've had it repaired elsewhere can I go back to apple with it and pay them for a repair instead? The 256e with apple now looks better if it means I can get it working properly?
    Any advice appreciated
    probably a poor quality, cheap screen. Bring the ipad back to them & demand they fix it properly with a good screen.
    Yes i'm pretty sure apple will still fix it if you want to go that route & pay the €256.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Ya it's very infuriating. I'm gonna see if I can get my money back n ship it to apple. I just don't want to get a shoddy repair again. Love my iPad too much, shouldd have just forked out in the first place given it was my own damn fault for ddropping the thing

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Ya it's very infuriating. I'm gonna see if I can get my money back n ship it to apple. I just don't want to get a shoddy repair again. Love my iPad too much, shouldd have just forked out in the first place given it was my own damn fault for ddropping the thing

€256 for a repair, or €349 for a refurb from Apple with 12 months warranty....I know which I would do.
    http://store.apple.com/ie/product/FC979B/A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Faulty digitizer, happens from time to time with the cheap digitizers.
    Its very common with 3G/S digitizers which is why I only use original ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Ya in fairness they got back to me on Friday night and will contact me with a resolution when the engineers are in on Monday. It really is painful to use at the mo. back to the phone at the mo instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Orlock

If you return it to Apple, you will need to make sure that the original damaged digitizer is re fitted to the unit. If Apple receive your iPad with a generic ( Non Apple ) part fitted, they will not entertain you at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Orlock wrote: »
    If you return it to Apple, you will need to make sure that the original damaged digitizer is re fitted to the unit. If Apple receive your iPad with a generic ( Non Apple ) part fitted, they will not entertain you at all.

Surely they will for an out of warranty repair. They would need to replace it anyway if it was smashed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

I thought they wouldn't touch it either, since they're going to give you warranty on the repair and can't tell what an unauthorised repairer may have done to it. I could be wrong though, but I wouldn't take the chance...

Edit: just googled and this came up (for iPod, but think you can safely assume it applies to all products):
    What kind of activities will void my warranty?
    Apple’s One-Year Limited Warranty for iPod excludes coverage for damage resulting from accident, unauthorised service and unauthorised modifications. Please review your warranty for further details.

Apple reserves the right to refuse service on iPods that are outside their warranty if damage has occurred due to accident, abuse or misuse. In such event, Apple will return your original iPod to you without providing service, and may hold you responsible for shipping costs, plus any applicable sales tax.

2nd edit, nevermind, still may not apply to out-of-warranty repair... More googling required I guess...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

flyguy wrote: »
    I thought they wouldn't touch it either, since they're going to give you warranty on the repair and can't tell what an unauthorised repairer may have done to it. I could be wrong though, but I wouldn't take the chance...

Edit: just googled and this came up (for iPod, but think you can safely assume it applies to all products):
    What kind of activities will void my warranty?
    Apple’s One-Year Limited Warranty for iPod excludes coverage for damage resulting from accident, unauthorised service and unauthorised modifications. Please review your warranty for further details.

Apple reserves the right to refuse service on iPods that are outside their warranty if damage has occurred due to accident, abuse or misuse. In such event, Apple will return your original iPod to you without providing service, and may hold you responsible for shipping costs, plus any applicable sales tax.

2nd edit, nevermind, still may not apply to out-of-warranty repair... More googling required I guess...

They dont fix and send the actual device you send in and send it back. They check it them send out a refurb and send the original to be refurbished afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Yeah you're right, as I worte in my edits not too sure if it would be a problem or not....

• Advertisement
Advertisement