Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyst??

• 09-03-2012 10:42pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a 9yr old collie cross and have noticed a large lump on his chest between his front legs, sometimes its really hard - boiled egg size and other times its barely noticeable, today I can feel it but its soft.
    Is this what a cyst feels like??
    He's fine otherwise - no other symptoms still runs & plays and is eating well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

angeldaisy wrote: »
    I have a 9yr old collie cross and have noticed a large lump on his chest between his front legs, sometimes its really hard - boiled egg size and other times its barely noticeable, today I can feel it but its soft.
    Is this what a cyst feels like??
    He's fine otherwise - no other symptoms still runs & plays and is eating well.
    Anything I'm not entirely sure of I'd take my chaps to the vet for a check up. It might be nothing it might be something, I'd definitely have a vet look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Any lump must be checked by a Vet asap - it isn't worth the risk of delaying. If it were a tumour then the success of treatment is time critical. Can you post & tell us what it was as I have never heard of anything going from the size of an egg down to barely noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭DollyB

They do sound like Cysts (most of which are not serious and do not need to be removed) but like everyone else says get them check at your vet.
    My fiances dog has loads of the and has been brought to the vet got some removed and the vet said they are all fine just like when we get them they mostly just fade away.

If this is what your vet says just keep an eye on future ones but if the cyst is getting bigger and bigger with no sign of it getting any softer or smaller get the dog to the vet asap.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Thanks for the replies, taking him in the morning to get checked out, course on cue he's decided to start limping - think he pulled a muscle yesterday running after the kids:D
    Wish me luck - he hates going to the vet:eek:

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, taking him in the morning to get checked out, course on cue he's decided to start limping - think he pulled a muscle yesterday running after the kids:D
    Wish me luck - he hates going to the vet:eek:

well we made it to the vets and he checked it out, didn't seem overly worried but is going to remove the lump on thursday and send it for biopsy. so fingers crossed, will be a bag of nerves on thursday

• Advertisement

Well finally got the results through and the lump was a benign haemangioma (??) not sure if thats the right spelling. Apparently its a lump that is fed from a blood vessel which is why it goes up and down.
    According to vet it should be fine now as they took it all away. Dog is doing fine and is loving wearing his t-shirts - well as opposed to wearing his cone!!

Advertisement