Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd question: Why is the crescent so called

• 09-03-2012 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

whats the history behind it :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

There's a row of georgian houses between o'connell street and o'connell avenue in the shape of a crescent

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

smcgiff wrote: »
    There's a row of georgian houses between o'connell street and o'connell avenue in the shape of a crescent

sound, one of those little things that bugged me :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The Crescent Shopping Centre is called crescent because of its proximity to Crescent Comp and old Crescent RFC.

Crescent comp moved from The Crescent on O'Connell Street (formerly Richmond Place) in the 1970s I think.

Crescent Comp used to be in where Tutorial is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

Anyone know where you can see old pictures of The Crescent? I have vague memories of what it looked like when I was growing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Jambo221 wrote: »
    Anyone know where you can see old pictures of The Crescent? I have vague memories of what it looked like when I was growing up.

Which Crescent? The Crescent at O'Connell monument or the Crescent Shopping centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

phog wrote: »
    Which Crescent? The Crescent at O'Connell monument or the Crescent Shopping centre?
    The Shopping Centre, still half asleep here :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28 yelofmail

Jambo221 wrote: »

The County and City archives which are based in County buildings over by the Crescent would be a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 stakerwallace

yelofmail wrote: »
    The County and City archives which are based in County buildings over by the Crescent would be a good place to start.

Plenty of pics on internetimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRixKLcpRUIMJR22q9VESSOGaS0mU1C8tHdWPTIj-13PefGHV8NkQ:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Muslim investors. It's shaped like a mosque too.

gaf1983 wrote: »
    Muslim investors. It's shaped like a mosque too.

The resemblance is uncanny. :P

seikh%20zayed%20mosque.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

The resemblance is uncanny. :P

I doubt if it's true, but I remember a substitute religion teacher in secondary school mentioned this in passing.

gaf1983 wrote: »
    I doubt if it's true, but I remember a substitute religion teacher in secondary school mentioned this in passing.

I heard that before aswell. Hard to believe.

Advertisement