Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW OUTER JACKET. WHAT TO BUY??

Options
  • 09-03-2012 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi, i`m on the lookout for a new outer jacket for hill walking. My relationship with my North Face gortex is nearing an end after many years adventures and hikes across the country. So i need something new. Anybody purchase recently, whats the best brand at mom and so on. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I am looking for a new jacket and am considering paramo. Seems good quality gear and they have a great social and environmental business model.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Esel

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I am looking for a new jacket and am considering paramo. Seems good quality gear and they have a great social and environmental business model.
    This might be a nice bonus, but it should not be a major deciding factor - unless it is the only difference between two otherwise identical jackets feature-wise.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Got a great deal on a sprayaway gortex in the great outdoors 50% off! €110 took it out that weekend up the galty's in the rain and very happy with it, they had a good few of them then, but they might be gone, worth a look all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭gizmo73

cheers thanks. im reading good things about Rab gear, anyone any negatives with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

gizmo73 wrote: »
    cheers thanks. im reading good things about Rab gear, anyone any negatives with them?

None.

I have a latok jacket by them and I love it.
    I also have a belay and down jacket by Rab, no complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

gizmo73 wrote: »

yeah, the quality isn't what it once was but the prices are. little stuff like velcro coming off, seams being wonky and down garments being a bit 'light'.

i'd go with Paramo - they have an ebay seconds outlet which i've used to buy high-end kit from for superb prices, like an Aspira Smock for £129 vs £220+ in the shops... i've still yet to find what was wrong with it.

the other reason i'd go with paramo is that its easy to repair to build standard - one of the problems with the whole 'going lightweight' thing is that gear just isn't as durable as it once was - and at the kind of prices you get charged thats a bit crap.

Advertisement