Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Living at home.....unqualified to comment on....well...anything??

• 09-03-2012 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭

I've made a number of comments recently relating to the recession and so on recently and have essentially been told I have no right to comment and no clue what I am on about because I still live it at home.

Is this right? Do you not have a right to commennt on...welll.....anything...whilst you are still living at home?

Mods this really isn't a complaints thread, more a general query because if people genuinely feel I should not get involved in these discussions I'll happily stop.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I think it's a complaints thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

You're a citizen of Ireland, right? Then you are as entitled as the next person to have an opinion on your country.

Someone please make a Gardai thread......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I think letting complete strangers wind you up and tell you how to think is your main problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if your still at home after 18 you dont really have an opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

Are you qualified to make this thread?

I mean, you're still living at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Sauve wrote: »
    I think it's a complaints thread.

It genuinely isn't. I would just hate to think I am insulting or upsetting anyone who is struggling at the moment.

You're a citizen of Ireland, right? Then you are as entitled as the next person to have an opinion on your country.

Someone please make a Gardai thread......:D

You can start a thread yourself you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I've made a number of comments recently relating to the recession and so on recently and have essentially been told I have no right to comment and no clue what I am on about because I still live it at home.

Is this right? Do you not have a right to commennt on...welll.....anything...whilst you are still living at home?

Mods this really isn't a complaints thread, more a general query because if people genuinely feel I should not get involved in these discussions I'll happily stop.

Of course you have the right to your opinion and the right to comment.
    I'm sure you read the papers, watch the news and take an active interest in what is happening here and in the world.

I think letting complete strangers wind you up and tell you how to think is your main problem.

Perhaps they shouldn't allow themselves to get so wound up over me?

It genuinely isn't. I would just hate to think I am insulting or upsetting anyone who is struggling at the moment.

Sure they'll tell you if you are. Post away. Your opinion is as valid as anybody elses'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

You can comment on whatever you like (that's the whole point of Boards, as far as I can tell) but you also have to take criticism. This is especially so if you start threads complaining about people complaining (hello irony!) about 'everything' when those people don't have their parents supporting them, which you do. So people sense a level of hypocrisy and get riled by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Yes, of course you have the right to comment on whatever you want. Anyone to tries to silence you by pointing out that you still live at home is probably just incapable of responding to your points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Dont let them stop you. Girl power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Perhaps they shouldn't allow themselves to get so wound up over me?

Other people are none of your concern. Say what you like. Only an idiot would dismiss someone's opinion based on something ridiculous like that. Plenty of intelligent, educated people are forced to live at home for reasons beyond their control.

You can comment on whatever you like (that's the whole point of Boards, as far as I can tell) but you also have to take criticism. This is especially so if you start threads complaining about people complaining (hello irony!) about 'everything' when those people don't have their parents supporting them, which you do. So people sense a level of hypocrisy and get riled by it.

My parents don't support me. I have a job. I just can't afford to move out at the moment.

I'm no hypocrit and I can take criticism, realistic criticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Unqualified to comment on...?? Who cares if you're still living at home, I'm assuming you're working?

Dont let them stop you. Girl power.

Yeah!

Don't stop, never give up, hold your head high and reach the top. Let the world see what you have got, bring it all back to you.

booboo88 wrote: »
    Unqualified to comment on...?? Who cares if you're still living at home, I'm assuming you're working?

A lot of people care apparently.

I do indeed. I simply don't have the money to move just now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

My parents don't support me. I have a job. I just can't afford to move out at the moment.

I'm no hypocrit and I can take criticism, realistic criticism.

They're supporting you in that you don't have to get a place of your own. But again, I would suggest that the criticisms of your living arrangements were made in response to comments made about people not really experiencing true hardship. I may have missed other ones where it was just sniping, in which case you should probably ignore them. And ignore the comments in general if they're upsetting you.

They're supporting you in that you don't have to get a place of your own. But again, I would suggest that the criticisms of your living arrangements were made in response to comments made about people not really experiencing true hardship. I may have missed other ones where it was just sniping, in which case you should probably ignore them. And ignore the comments in general if they're upsetting you.

Most of it was just sniping alright. I do try to ignore it and suceed most of the time ;)

It just boils my blood when the same two or three posters jump pn every comment I make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Yeah!

Don't stop, never give up, hold your head high and reach the top. Let the world see what you have got, bring it all back to you.

Thats Sclub7 I meant ginger spice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

Audrey, you have as much right as the next person to do what and say what you want. My advice? stay at home for as long as you can. We live once and do what you want and more importantly, do what makes you happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

if your still at home after 18 you dont really have an opinion

I don't see how her livin at home or not would make her opinion any less valid. And another note, there are plenty of 18 year olds still in secondary school, should they be kicked out before their leaving one the birthday comes around??

I "moved out" when I was in college but I might s well have been at home because my parents paid for my accommodation. I did work 25/30 hours on top of a 35 hour in college week( excluding college time ) to help support myself but what is the difference between your parents letting you live at home and them supporting you in college??

And believe me I was not the only one bein supported , I would say nearly every single person in my course had their rent paid for by their parents so I do not see the difference at all. It seems pretty common practice.

Thats Sclub7 I meant ginger spice.

I was testing you.

You passed. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Are you protesting about people being annoyed about your FG are great why are the peasants revolting threads?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76679747

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

A lot of people care apparently.

I do indeed. I simply don't have the money to move just now.

Tell them to mind their own damn business, I still live at home but for same reason, which is better than people going to cwo for evey damn thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

How old are you? Roughly now, not asking a woman her actual age :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

i'm still living at home, and i'm nearly thirty... but then i dont have an opinion on anything either, so it's all good

gurramok wrote: »
    How old are you? Roughly now, not asking a woman her actual age :D

What relevence that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Post wherever you want, if someone crosses the line, report it or PM a mod.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement